Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

Man I'm so jealous of those plugy players on utube. After all these years I finally got super sick of the constant lag that is battlenet and I think Ima go play singleplayer. Zero delay on clicking things? Sign my rear end up

I played for a year straight with it, such a great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
All I wanted was a better resolution, but its weird to think they'll keep stuff the same when some skills are legit useless in D2.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Smythe posted:

would have loved to see a zealot in the trailer. rip. no love for my fav class.

martial arts assa combat looked really bad. all sludgy. felt very good to "combo that poo poo" in og d2. nice and crisp.

druid volcano looked cool as hell though

The fire/light looks amazing, wonder how cool the hydra will look?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Smythe posted:

would love to see 10 of these on the act 1 door preventing people from collecting their bodies, ears on every tile of the floor

This warms my cold black heart.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Seamonster posted:

I just want rune gambling. It will solve the problem of useless gold and hopefully drive some business away from dupers and third party sites.

What would the chance be on that? Like a LK chest?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My best solo hell difficulty build was a "can kill anything, eventually" frenzy barb with two mid tier runeword 2H swords dual wielded.

I can't remember all the gear, but I had high lifesteal/manasteal rare rings, and as much "chance to cast on strike" on all my gear outside of weapons, with crushing blow as my second most wanted affix/suffix.

I know for a fact my 2 swords, because they felt badass. In a single player lobby at least.

Ethereal balrog blade: runeword: Oath (Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum)
30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
+210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Energy
+10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

The attack speed and damage are huge, and it's indestructible so you can make it in an ethereal base for +50% damage and no downside. It hits FAST AND HARD with frenzy buffs, and the bone spirit is some nice chip damage against physical immunes.

Collosus sword: runeword: Voice of Reason (Lem + Ko + El + Eld)
15% Chance To Cast Level 13 Frozen Orb On Striking
18% Chance To Cast Level 20 Ice Blast On Striking
+50 To Attack Rating
+220-350% Damage To Demons
+355-375% Damage To Undead (varies)
+50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
Adds 100-220 Cold Damage
-24% To Enemy Cold Resistance
+10 To Dexterity
Cannot Be Frozen
75% Extra Gold From Monsters
+1 To Light Radius

Another weapon with massive damage % mods. It's "only" against undead and demons, but having both together will cover most of the things you want to hit and make dead. The chance to cast cold spells and -24% enemy cold res is a huge benefit against phys immune enemies. Cannot be frozen is rare on a weapon, and frees up your armor slots since you don't have to include that somewhere else.

Both of these runewords are difficult but not impossible to assemble solo. Mal is the highest rune I think, and you can get that from countess runs (Ist and Lo are the part where it really drops off I think?). They are magnitudes of droprate lower than the high runes you need for something like Breath of the Dying or Doom. That was my biggest reason for trying this build. They have maxed out damage (and oath has 50% attack speed and +50% damage since you can put it in an ethereal base!) but require no truly high runes. Finding a pair of worthy base swords will probably take longer than getting the runes.

My other slots, that I can remember at least

Lava Gout gauntlets
2% chance to cast lvl 10 Enchant on striking
nice attack rating bonus, and tiny bits of fire damage to wear down otherwise immune enemies.

I think my body armor was a double-upped Rattlecage because crushing blow is good in a build like this.

Gore Rider boots, for crushing blow/bleed/crit on attacks.

It's really fun to play, frenzy at max skillpoints gives you insane attack speed and movement speed. All your "chance to cast" items will be going off constantly, you're making GBS threads frozen orbs and bone spirits and god knows what else all over the loving place all the time. You move between enemies and rooms almost as fast a teleporting sorceress.

Most of my charms were for resists, since I was jamming all the "chance to cast" items I could into every slot and didn't have to worry about cannot be frozen since one of the runeword weapons covers that.

I like to use Atmas Scarab for the chance to cast amp on both frenzy barbs and bowazons

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
A good TL;DR on the Alpha https://youtu.be/dEl8qsJgB7w

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Gone Fashing posted:

think I might try curse necro. got a group of 3 other dudes I play with so seems like it would be a good support build.

CE as your damage skill?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Too poor for infinity on my lightning/poison zon and I struggle with mana anyway. Would be worth obtaining an elite eth 4 socket polearm just for insight?

CA/Thresher/GPA, whatever strength your mans can handle. As good as infinity is, you'll be fine without it.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/polearms.shtml

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

FalloutGod posted:

I blew 8ish high runes over the last couple of days putting together a multishot zon and I regret it. It can't really MF for me and mapping isn't great. Some of the gear is low roll and I don't have the bankroll for the charms to tie the build together. I bit off more then I could chew. Bleh. I made my self feel better by buying 6 skillers and just went back to my frozen orb sorc.

Make a LF zon, kill cows, profit.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Jimbot posted:

The 29th is going to mark the 21st anniversary of this game's release. Holy poo poo where did all that time go?

I wonder if Blizzard will try to release the Remake on the same day.

Without a beta being released yet I'd imagine we won't see it then, but an announcement of some sort makes sense.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

1.09 was my favourite too. Runewords and baal bots weren't more fun than burizas and cow runs

Pre-enigma, hoto, and grief was the best.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

I never got a stormshield or grandfather for my barbarian but they at least felt achievable in a human timescale

I built an enigma and grief on single player but it required a TON of LK grinding. I'd rather play HC on ladder tbh, but netcode.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Beat act 1 with a Barb in an 8 player game, owned.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Smythe posted:

my friends are peer pressuring me into playing. obviously im the only Powergamer of the group so I don't want to do that again, I don't have the chutzpah to run pindlebots and all that mishegoss anymore. but i do wanna play a palading so im wanting to make a more esoteric pala. im thinking maybe convictadin w/vengeance or maybe some kind of defiance pally, which ive never run. no smite, btw, i have prejudice against smite since my days in palapk/1. any advice? i think vengeance/vict is gonna be it but man would it be slow compared to a fana zealot.

I once spent a week researching a vengeance based paladin, figuring out all the little details. Started the build and it was extremely crappy due to the single target attack. You'd be better off with zeal and a rift or dual dream.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

Its not just while playing alone. Arcane Sanctuary is still trickier than a costco parking lot with all the rubber banding. Bit gross that it mostly feels like a layer of (very well done) gloss so far without any true core upgrades besides a few minor things.

The gamble refresher is awesome, wish they had it for vendors but they're all tied together in everyone's game. Also the miss indicator owns.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Khorne posted:

Why though? You don't need more space.

Probably. It sounds like they introduced new bugs in the netcode too from people talking about rubberbanding.

The rubber banding to me is most likely due to it being a beta. My ping time was always over 100 and I'm in the Midwest.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I'm thinking of making a poison nova necro for my first character on D2:R, anyone have experience with one?

I normally play summoner or bone necro for non-HC PvM and have never done a poison one. I watched MrLlamaSC's video on one and he mentioned it's a good idea to go RS and finish your points in SM after you max the 3 psn skills. Reading some guides online people say to just max CE and then BW or BP instead.

Since I won't have a dweb and definitely won't be spending actual human money on gear, I'm trying to find out which method makes the most sense. I have a feeling the non-skelli skills assume you have dweb. Any insight is much appreciated.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
There are things calls essences which allow you to respec

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

coelomate posted:

Rolled a new sorc to practice MFing for D2R's release. Solo self found through hell, respecced to blizzard, and started hitting Pindleskin hard.

Found this in the first hour, first I've ever seen:

Oh how I love this game.

Nice, I never find anything off of pindle.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
The gear needed is so drat GG just to be decent that you're better off playing most of the other classes.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Smythe posted:

controller diablo. lol. just lol.

If it being ported to consoles helped d2:r get made, idgaf about the console peeps, but thanks.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

It might be my rose tinted glasses but I remember Diablo 1 on the PS was quite good and plenty of fun.

I am in the same boat.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

bawfuls posted:

That's why you get a couple friends together, divide your efforts to farm keys, then kill the ubers together several times and collect a bunch of torches

This, it's a community event.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Swilo posted:

Any supply of legacy items would come from people importing their saves (assuming that is still a feature they're keeping) but without tcp/ip support or open b.net they'll all be locked into single player. Maybe you could swap save files to utilize the shared stash for "trading" among friends?

Nothing should change for the original game.

Ruststorm 2.0 BA-BY!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What's the best HC builds

Bone necro, shockwave bear druid, trapsin

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jerman999 posted:

I think I’ll run summon/CE for a first run, then litsorc if it’s still viable? Turns out I still have a bunch of FG in d2jsp. Will there be a goon discord or something for d2r?

Light is def still viable, downright nasty if you get an infinity merc and griffons eye.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I'd imagine they'll hold off on ladder till they get multiplayer "burned in." This way the first D2:R ladder won't be met with tons of whiners.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

I want to cancel my preorder cause everything you're saying is right and it is another lazy AoE2HD situation (ok not that bad) but I know it'll only ever go on sale for like 40 cents off

I didn't preorder as I never do (been burned too many times), but the beta was great and the offline is good enough of an experience with the QoL improvements. Last year using PlugY I solo offline built an infinity and enigma, farmed Ubers and dclone, and played through the whole game on HC without using shared stash. Now they're improving the graphics while keeping the gameplay the same? I'm in.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

My old friend still jokes about it how we'd join games with people looking for someone to park to transfer their stuff and we'd just take it and go. It was always poo poo tier stuff but still.

Never forget joining a cow game late and checking anyway, and finding an unid unique ring among the loot. Bul-kathos wedding band. Then, in another game with my original bowazon who I'd only managed to level to 89 somehow as a fuckin kid with nothing to do who could play all the time, I died and then popped and lost everything save my loving buriza which someone gave back to me. I remember going upstairs (because of course I was in my parents basement) and telling my parents I was done with the game. Naturally they complained about how much I played it.

The game almost evokes the smell of that basement for me sometimes, where we had insect troubles so my friends and me would refer to it as the maggot lair.

Best game ever.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

Can eth items be used in runewords? Wait, can you find base items that are both eth and socketed? Was there a way to distinguish them on the ground in the beta?

Yes eth insight and eth fortitude are very popular for mercs. Also, the runewords exile and breath of the dying are built for eth items.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Do you get one imbue per difficulty, as well? And how do you make the determination of when to use it?

One per difficulty and it's used a lot for belts/boots/gloves during non-twinked playthroughs.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

See in Souls you have Twinkling Titanite, so I thought it meant having items infused with that early on, so I wasn't totally off. I didn't realize it was a term that applied to other games.

I used the term because the community does, I don't care for it myself. Good move not googling it at work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Some dude got his hands on the cinematics already: https://youtu.be/ISxSZaLN8S4