Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

Are there any good resources around for running an Eastern Sun server? I know we had a goon run one that was pretty successful. My buddy was thinking of running one but said seemed like a huge pain.

This was eons ago but I'm getting that itch again so I'd say your best bet would be to bug Garfu for the files from the last ES server we had. It has that lovely goon mod with the grossly overpowered elite ethereal items but at least it shouldn't be a huge pain to set up.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wish we had an ES realm up. I miss that nonsense.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Guess eastern sun discussion is ok here? Since that thread is locked.

Playing es songle/hamachi with a friend. Downloaded es300r from the official site. Can't seem to install any of madbrahmins mod, like autostocker, pickit, etc. Anyone kniw a workaroubd for this?

Those are all d2hackit plugins and I'm pretty sure they rely on networking over a realm emulator to work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Randabis posted:

You'd have to get in touch with garfu somehow. I don't think the old IRC eastern sun channel is up anymore either. Goontopia died pretty much shortly after Diablo 3 was released.

I'd definitely play again though especially if my old lightning barb was somehow able to be revived haha.

Garfu still posts regularly so PM him if you're serious. Good loving luck getting a decent amount of players with dark souls 3 less than 2 weeks away and a very good Path of Exile league going on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eastern Sun was a goon favorite because we had a realm going and it has some realm friendly features to go with its insane crafting system. It's still fairly vanilla even with all the new items and zones.
Median XL is another good one that still gets updates, but it's a very different game from vanilla d2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Someone please figure out how to get single player ES running on Windows 10. gently caress. Please. I'll gently caress you.

I've never tried median, is there a lot of bullshit install stuff/fuckery or is straightforward? Also do they and an absolute poo poo load of new items/drop rates?

Median is basically a whole new game in the d2 engine. It has all its own items, enemies and areas. I don't know about windows 10 but it installed pretty easily on 8.1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

What was your process for 8.1 cause I tried for days.

I followed the directions on the forum, which installed it as a d2se plugin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Which forum, this one?

The official Median XL forum. http://forum.median-xl.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=27961206863fce40d82bc7649ddcb00e

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

I don't suppose anyone would know why in my ES install I have pretty much everything except a fully-equipable merc? It shows all the spots, but when I over over anything with gear that's not the standard stuff it just shows red and doesn't let me drop it in.

You need plugy for the equipable merc

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now that I think about it, ES doesn't support full merc equipment by default because of mac compatibility (there's no plugy for mac, or wasn't back when ES was relevant). Pretty sure all you have to do is add a line for it to your plugy.ini.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Okay I found that and tired it, which didn't work. I think I was loving something up because I was trying to use the stuff on Mad Brahmin's site along with everything else. I think I just don't know enough to try and reconcile Mad Brahmin's d2loader and es launcher with the PlugY stuff. I guess It might be a case of choosing between the PlugY changes or the D2HackIt plugins?

Pretty sure the d2hackit stuff requires a realm.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, fired up the ES VM and the dumb charged bolt bugs in act 2 crash the game every time they take a hit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Relin posted:

What does it mean in D1 when things in the spell book say x magic to level up? Gaining points in magic doesn't seem to change the value.

The spellbook requires that much magic to use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eastern Sun has much better rune drop rates than vanilla d2 and high runes drop from endgame monsters rather than boxes

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Has anyone else encountered an issue where your merc becomes locked in one spot, and then won’t move/can’t interact with his inventory until you trigger a map transition with a town portal or a teleport or some such thing?

It’s never happened to me until last night where it suddenly happened a bunch of times. I’d also just started using frenzy on my barb so I wonder if it’s linked to the increased movement speed screwing with the AI? Or possibly using leap to navigate around the early parts of Act 3 better; although I was using leap a bunch in the arcane sanctuary without an issue.

Probably a desync. Having over 150% frw causes them pretty reliably, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been reading Book II of David L Craddock's Stay Awhile and Listen (which is very good, and you should read it and the first book if you haven't), and he talks about how Blizzard North almost lost the whole game when one of the servers crashed.

Has Blizzard said how they managed to get Diablo II Resurrected working? Did they recover the original source code somehow, or did they just reverse-engineer the whole thing?

Code isn't the problem. It's not having original high res assets to use, so all the art in the remaster is completely new.