Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I reinstalled D2 yesterday after years of not playing (and playing D3 instead). It didn't age terribly but the resolution is really bad and therefore my mouse scrolling is hyper sensitive. Do a lot of folks still play this? I just fired up single player so I could use the players x command. I never really traded too often before anyway and last time I tried it was a ton of bots spamming chat.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Star Man posted:

Playing alone on Battle.net is essentially the same as single player, but you lose access to players x and are at the mercy of network issues. You can create a new game with a password to keep strangers and bots out or set a level restriction that will keep most bots out of your game since they tend to use level one characters.

Sounds like I'm really missing out. :v: It's been awhile so I'll probably go through it all on my own instead of getting rushed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I definitely don't look back fondly at playing online and trying to click the fastest on Baal runs. It was always funny watching ranged characters get close to him when he had a sliver of life left and then they'd die just before he did. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Anyone else reinstall after the D:I announcement?

I'm on useast trying out a javazon for the first time

Haha yes. Also installed the perfect drop mod, which makes it more enjoyable and less grindy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Laslow posted:

Getting someone to join your “durance wp plz” game was even more satisfying.

goddamn A3 was a horrible maze, thanks for the PTSD

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I thought it was pretty unlikely in the first place because they didn't have the source code anymore supposedly?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Is the remaster even confirmed? Wasn't it debunked with that Tony Hawk game?

They're really remaking pro skater 1 and 2...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ohm was as high as I ever saw. That and a couple Ist.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

hit enter and type your message and hit enter again. If you don't remember the keys go into options and look at what the key binds are.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

That is all it takes? I tried that but I couldn't see a message being posted. I guess it was sent and I just didn't see it? I guess I am just old.

Edit: spellings

you should be able to see your message as you type it, and after you hit enter. Look at your key binds, maybe it's been changed from the default.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure what he's saying. I did that recently (bnet then went to slash Diablo).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My introduction to the series started with 2 and by doing that you won't want to go back to 1. It plays so much slower that will make it difficult IMO.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Andy over and over is you did the trick to get her to drop good loot like the first drop every time, probably

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

George posted:

Itemization is still the worst part of D3 and the thing they’re refusing to fix for D4. No thank you.

It's still in an early state and they're taking feedback from the community via the quarterly updates pretty well all things considered. While I agree that the early itemization looked questionable at best, I think blizzcon had placeholder poo poo in there more or less. I'm hoping they can turn it around but it's not the same company as it used to be so TBD. Really hoping the demonic and angelic power bullshit is either scrapped or somehow made interesting and good. I probably have more hours into d2 and d3 than any other series by a wide margin so I'm hopeful it'll be decent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I look at D3 as just a more streamlined experience vs. D2. In D2 you just spend a lot of time with lovely items and grinding for better ones doing the same poo poo over and over again. In D3 you grind similarly (but...different? Doing rifts or random maps repeatedly vs. running the same boss run for loot) but you get good stuff way faster. Then you're OP as gently caress teleporting around the map in no time blowing up everything so it's still fun in a different way to me at least. It strips away the bullshit with the campaign and you just can grind as you like and kill stuff to get more loot and more powerful.

There may be more character building and choices in D2 with skill points and attributes but for end game it's really the same to me. There's an aspirational best in slot item for every slot which already determines what your build and points will be for the most part. It's just an illusion of choice, IMO. If you're just playing it through the campaign or whatever that's less relevant/true I suppose. How they design the game and items to not be that, I don't really know. And I don't know if that would in itself make things worse. :iiam:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Now the next one will be an mmo, just what you wanted guys!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I loved d2 but you have Stockholm syndrome at this point

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I know the d3 story better than poe at least. I can't be bothered to even try with that poo poo and question why I'm fighting curtains. I only really did the campaign at launch and can't remember much anymore, thankfully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is clearly a cash grab to keep us interested until d4 comes out.

That's the thing to do right now. The Nintendo model. Buy games you already have played... Again! Cash in on the nostalgia that our generation is too dumb to not give in on. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

D2 runs amazing in a VM. You can create a windows xp vm with a 1 core limit, 512mb of RAM (or probably less), and no gpu pass through and the game will run identical to a modern gaming pc.

This reminded me that my first computer part upgrade was adding ram to the family gateway desktop from 32 to 64mb (maybe? It's been awhile) so I could enjoy d2 without choppy fps. :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So you don't like playing d2 you just like programming

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Can't comment on that but I'm surprised how much I'm liking PoD. Made a bow zon and slog0lging my way through hell currently. All solo except somebody had to help me kill duriel on normal because my build flat out couldn't do it. Killed him in hell tonight and was pissed raven frost did nothing against his aura. Been super lucky getting a shako and travs while leveling. Nodrop is awesome and wouldn't play vanilla again without it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody have any advice on how to progress in PoD as a bowazon? Here's my dude. https://pathofdiablo.com/p/armory/?name=Larrymer

I have about 11 ooc for trade stuff and maybe a gul but not sure where to go. I have a tal's and andy's helm in my stash and only 1 passive and 1 bow skills GC. Right now damage seems lacking and I can't do much more than hell cows farming wise. Even then it's a bit slow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My quitting D1 point: I made it about 4 floors deep and died to the butcher, then realized I'd never saved the game prior to that point.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

codo27 posted:

I know its only tech alpha but is there not a thread for the remake? Which one of you fucks got an invite?

From how I read it, they're sending them out in waves today (and only started 1.5 hours ago I think?) so there's still a chance.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lol at playing action rpgs for the story. I don't remember hardly anything from 2 or 3 but yes 3 was much worse. Diablo with tiddies is pretty funny, however.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Not wanting to have a dumb as rocks story doesn't mean you're playing diablo "for the story" :rolleyes: this is a colossally bad take.

If anything that's the whole loving problem we're complaining about. The game was made as though to appeal to people who play ARPGs for story, which is not us. That's the whole issue. Thanks.

This is like arguing that you watch action movies for the action so it doesn't matter if the story is dumb and the characters do dumb things. Yeah, the point is the action, but the story needs to not get in the way or try to overly show off in a dumb way.

Meh, whatever. Glad you can get triggered because some internet fellow plays games different than you or has a differing opinion. But sure, put paragraphs of poo poo I didn't say in my mouth.

I can't say I gave 2 shits about what's happening in poe (or grim dawn :v:) when I played through it though despite skipping the dialog and cut scenes whatever happening is absurd. For a game that is mostly about endgame and getting loot with a ton of repetition I can't say story really matters all that much to me. The gameplay and those things matter more so I'll forgive dumb story beats. Would it be nice if it weren't? Sure but I just don't care as long as the rest of gravy.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

Because I argued with your :rolleyes: "who plays diablo for the story?" remark, that means I'm "triggered" that you play different than me?

How did you misread what I said that poorly?

I am literally agreeing with you that we play the game the same way. Neither of us play it for the story. That is the whole point. How does that mean I'm triggered? Jesus christ dude.

You completely read what I said backwards. How the gently caress did you do that?

What paragraphs of poo poo?? Lmao what drugs are you on?

You come off as very aggressive and feisty in your posts and it felt like an attack. Just like this time...because I made a joke about the diablo story.

Star Man posted:

Jesus christ, go out for a walk or something. Go get some ice cream. Something.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 12, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It'll still play like a 20 year old game thanks to weirdos like llama.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd like if they made skill hotkeys cast the skill rather than having to right click again. Just make qol stuff toggleable and it's a win for everyone. Otherwise if I play I'll play with a controller. Looks to be a better control scheme from what I've seen. :can:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If they can make it work with a controller, then it can be done on a keyboard. Why make using one input an advantage vs the other?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You'll get carpal tunnel before me. Game. Blouses.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'll be content to watch from the sidelines until I hear more about how it goes initially and possible changes they'll make.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

They could increase high rune drop rate by 10x or 100x and it would not bother me any. The game might even be better off for it.

All the dumb Mr. llama lookalikes will cry foul and complain they turned it into Diablo 3. :rolleyes:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

coelomate posted:

Is there another thread for D2R? I'm surprised this one isn't more popping with the beta live.

D3 thread has a lot of discussion on it as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Now they have the ability to reset your points and tree. Granted it is not infinite but it will prevent newer players from loving themselves over in nightmare/hell

Don't you need to be able to farm the respec things from hell bosses? So if you use all 3 before you're good enough to beat all the bosses you're kinda still hosed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

completing the Den of Evil quest gives you a respec from Akara, so that's three for a character with zero farming

That's the 3 I'm referring to in my post. I'm just saying that if a new person respecs a couple times (as they may very well need to do being new) before being able to end game farm bosses in hell then they may have burned all their chances outside of starting another character to farm them on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sorc was always the first class I used to gather gear then play the one you really want to play. Feels like most classes are so gear dependent outside of necro and sorc. Probably why I never had near as much play time with the others.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I wouldn't buy assuming they're going to do gently caress all after launch. Maybe if they announce some updates, enhancements and bug fixes would I consider it. But even then ehhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

codo27 posted:

I want to cancel my preorder cause everything you're saying is right and it is another lazy AoE2HD situation (ok not that bad) but I know it'll only ever go on sale for like 40 cents off

Seems like a weird comparison because this one has at least had several expansions since it released and there's no indication or guarantee you're going to get any of that with D2R. I don't remember why people didn't like it but I had fun playing a few games with a friend before forgetting about it again. :shrug: