Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Started some D2 hardcore up over the weekend, last time I played was before D3 was released. Got to lvl 56 on my light sorc and ripped to Stygian doll corpse explosions in the durance of hate. I had been kiting away from their death animation with teleport but a group of them exploding caught me and my corpse was on the ground a screen away from theirs after the TP. New char tonight, might try single player so I can turn on players 8 and make it go a bit faster. Just got insight and spirit cooking too...

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

You're fighting the good fight. Was there a new ladder recently?

I'm not really sure when the ladder reset last happened! Got my sorc back up to 24 today, starting with fire this time and the leaf runeword makes it a breeze early. Gonna try a mass vit/energy build, this is pretty fun since most the builds out there are glass cannon and meant for SC.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks for the ES

soscannonballs posted:

Energy Shield is a really strong talent for survivability if you are doing Hardcore. The trick to making ES work is you have to max out both ES and Telekinesis (TK is a synergy, not sure if its listed though) and stacking flat physical/magic damage reduction on gear. Iirc, resistances don't matter that much for ES since the damage you take to your mana is before factoring resistances, although its still good to have it. For offense, you could focus on Lightning since you are already going to invest 40 points in the lightning tree for ES/TK, or Frozen Orb since you only need to invest 40 points in offense (FO/Cold Mastery). There is also a relatively easy-to-make runeword that buffs ES you can use on your swap for buffing, I think its called Memory.

Believe it or not I was already ball deep into this build on my new sorc. She's level 40 atm. Telekinesis reduces the mana loss per hp lost by .0625 per skill point, which equates to .75 mana lost per negated hit point at level 20, which is really really good.

I just crafted a lvl15 meditation insight last night and I'm distributing stat points semi-evenly between Dex vit and energy, going for a max shield block eventually. (Apparently Stygian doll explosions can be blocked)

Currently I wager I could tank about 5 or 6 (they deal between ~70-120 damage depending on their health roll) of their explosions and be fine, but I just entered nightmare last night so by the time I'm in a3 again that will be much higher.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I prefer NOT to use Energy Shield on my hardcore sorcs. It works fantastically 90% of the time. However, the second you get to mana burn monsters, you are hosed. Like, SUPER hosed. You have no Vit to fall back on. :(

My contingency for this is a near balance of Hp and mana, rather than a blue piece of hard candy with a dot of red jelly inside.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Sadly no matter what you do some form of Stygian Doll is going to own your rear end in the durance or the last level of worldstone.

True enough, I plan on killing my merc and spam tping through durance in both nightmare and hell. As for world stone keep, I've done enough greater rift fishing to recognize when to gtfo haha. Maybe. My death on Sunday was because I 100% forgot about Stygian dolls exploding and doing damage

Well, up until the first encounter with one down there, I didn't think it was enough to kill me I should say

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 6, 2015

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I'm insanely brutally autistic and don't mind the grind for the moment, it's a nice change from poop socking D3, I feel like I'm in open waters again.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Currently trying to make my way through a1 hell, beat the countess and decided to finally throw on some MF gear and farm NM for a while. Currently level 77 and my sorc is tanky as gently caress, 75% block rate, 10% damage reduction hat, well over the 85% hit recovery breakpoint. My only problem right now is keeping my merc alive, I have a decent lvl 16 med partizan insight and a life steal chest piece but I really need Kira's hat or w/e so he can't be frozen. I switched from the defiance merc to the might merc and immediately was able to get further, but him getting frozen really sucks rear end. The defiance merc got hit slightly less often but didn't do enough damage to keep any meaningful lifesteal cooking. As soon as I can get to the pit and grab the elite version of that polearm (forgetting the name currently) I'll be in really good shape.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Nice, 13 days will be plenty of time to make it through hell I think, quit right before Duriel last night. Re rolled my cryptic axe insight and got a dank lvl17 meditation with almost all max rolls before I went to bed. Almost level 83, think I'm in good shape to push

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I'm down for playing the new season!

Almost ripped tonight in A3 Hell when I came across a loving boat load of gloams with a unique one in there somewhere, I was getting wary before hand as I ran into a few packs of 2-3 of them. My lightning resist is too garbage to keep progressing atm, got instantly knocked down to a shred of health, mashed a whole column of dat purple drank and teleported the poo poo out of there. Full on adrenaline rush. Back to Andy/Countess/Duriel for a few days me thinks.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

HC Hell Baal down, self found items, no bot leveling. Ended at level 85.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 16, 2015

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I ended up not teleporting through any content as far durance goes and what not, just slow rolled and kited everything. I did however not kill Nihlathak in Hell in case I wanted to farm Pindle easier later. With my set up even Gloams weren't scary going down to the Worldstone Chamber. I ended up using my Hell socket quest on my rockstopper and put a Sol in there for a total of like 32 damage reduction with my perfect(25) life everlasting suffix magic amulet lmbo. Had spirit for a weapon, 3os archon plate with the lionheart runeword for a chest piece, Moser's with two p diamonds for a shield, sandtrek boots, junk rear end rare rings and belt filling in resists. A2 nightmare holy freeze merc with a cryptic axe lvl 17 meditation insight, my backup lionheart with like 100 defense, tal's hat. On my quick switch I had a necrowand with 90 charges of level 4 life tap to keep my merc alive through a3+.

1 point in warmth

1 point in all prereqs for the lighting tree then max lightning/chain and 11 in light mastery, 3 points in energy shield.

1 point in all prereqs for cold orb, max orb, 10 in mastery. Had a +1 cold skill/+5 str GC that probably was my best drop no irony.

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 16, 2015

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

If you have been able to get a staff with four sockets and the runes for it, would you have used Memory on your weapon switch for the boost to energy shield?

Nope, the ~40% damage reduction I was getting was good enough, the life tap wand on switch made this even remotely possible. The cryptic axe insight and +20% damage lionheart chestpiece on my merc gave him a top range of 2k damage and the lifetap on elites kept him alive during 95% of fights. The switch input delay/half dozen hotkeys took some getting used to but eventually I had it down pat and wasn't missing it. I actually did have the runes and found many a four os staffs to make that though.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I have a ko pul and thul with a 4os flail sitting on my mule right now too, if I found a vex my dude would get really good for MF. With the resists from Hoto I could switch out the moser's for my Rhyme and get back up to 75% block (currently 70%) and the extra hp would be a giant bonus.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

Okay. I'm too terrified to play hardcore in any Diablo game simply because I have a tendency to live in places with less than stellar connections. Though I suppose I could do it in single player, but then I always get bored by the end of act one and just use a trainer to make and do ridiculous poo poo.

Playing hardcore makes d2 and 3 actually fun, the jump in is scary but you'll never go back. I cut my teeth as a youngin playing MUDs with either perma death or PK centric where the winner gets to loot everything you've worked for. The rush is real.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

RIP NicestHat

I'm alive bro!

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I'm doing another self found/leveled HC run through on USEast, this time on a poison necro. I just got into a3 last night, Duriel was actually kind of a cake walk with life tap for my merc. I'll be streaming at twitch.tv/nikodotcom most nights this week around 5pm central onward.

I recently wiped my computer and forgot to write down a lot of my fine tuning for OBS so if it looks like poo poo, I'm working on it :)

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

soscannonballs posted:

I remember trying a poison necro a few years ago and it was cool until I tried to do some stuff in A5 and couldn't get through doors because they were poison immune.

Haha that sucks, I just completed normal last night and had some pretty legit problems trying to get past the 5th wave of Baal minions. It doesn't say it but they're drat near poison immune. Had to level up a few times to get to decrepify to just curse the poo poo out of them while my merc did most of the work.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Well I got to Hell difficulty yesterday, currently level 76 and just kinda farming act 1. So much poo poo is poison immune it's crazy but I'm still having a blast. Had a few close calls already, nearly got one shot by some might aura bow rogues. I'm starting to dump a bunch of points into bone spear to deal with immunities, I know CE is better but I've played enough summoners and want to do something different.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

It's still going really strong actually, I've never made an account but over the last few weeks I've been reading it every day to try and learn the weird rear end language.

In other news, I've been playing this game since it loving got released and just dropped my first high rune EVER

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

:feelsgood:

I found a Zod rune in a public walk-to-Baal game once in 2006. I joined late and it was left behind near the waypoint on a monster's corpse. I also got an Ist rune once off of Eldritch in 2011. I've gotten more valuable items in vanilla Diablo III than I ever have in Diablo II.

I always thought it was hilarious that people thought the drop rate in vanilla d3 was bad! D2 was way more punishing, or at least on par. I've posted this many times over the years but I'm one of the few people on earth that enjoyed pound-me-in-the-rear end diablo 3 vanilla italian hell. The game was great all the way up until the IAS nerf.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Rip'd last night at level 83 after making a Hoto earlier in the day with that vex. Got a little too drunk and careless, gear was getting pretty dank too.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Goondolences. I died the other day on my HC Sorc, with 800+ MF, in the loving Pit of all places. Lightning enchanted archers on level 2 poofed my merc with perfect gear, instantly, and I followed shortly after.

RIP

The archers that got me were cursed and had might aura, normally I would have had the reaction time to decrepify them but...too sauced up. I've got a bowazon at 35 now that I probably won't do all self found on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'd be pretty livid if I lost a hardcore character with a Vex rune I found.

I've long since had attachment to thing, material or virtual

namaste