Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard

If anyone needs help with Diablo 1 mods, just hit me up.

Also, d2 median: sigma is supposed to be coming out this year. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Belzebub is singleplayer. Tchernobog is multiplayer. It's the only mod that adds resolution support at this time. It's also not being worked on anymore. If you don't want to have to mount the .iso, you can copy the diabdat.mpq from the .iso to the Diablo folder.

Hellfire works kind of like a mod for Diablo in that it contains the diabdat.mpq already and runs off that. You can simply move the mod files over to the Hellfire folder and run them. The Dark or The Hell are pretty good. I'm waiting for The Hell 2 before I start playing another mod.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Belzebub adds a poo poo load of quests, I believe, including the ones that were originally cut from Diablo. A lot of the quest/event stuff has been moved into another instance, like you have to open a TP in the butchers room, to get to his chamber.

I'm playing Multiplayer, though, and that client has no quests for multi but it's been tweaked to provide a better experience without them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I just installed Hellfire in a separate directory. Can I merge the .mpq files into the main Diablo directory, or do I have to keep Hellfire separate, and extract the mod files over. I ask because I started a game without Hellfire installed, and I'm wondering if I add the Hellfire content in without having to start a new game.

If it's a hellfire mod it needs hellfire. Hellfire has the .mpq file already, regular Diablo needs you to copy it from the .ISO.

BTW the worm cellar is not a hellfire addition, it's a missing d1 quest. There's a lot of quests they never finished and some mods add them in. Hellfire dungeons are on the right side of the map, or near the catacombs entrance

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah belzebub will not work with Hellfire at all. It's based on vanilla. Hellfire and diablo are not compatible for mods.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Get tunngle and hang in the Diablo - HD Mod channel if you want to multiplayer some Tchernobog. It's under RPG on the left side network explorer, in app.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm still working my way through Diablo 1 via the Belzebub mod. I was looking at the list of quests for Belzebub, and I noticed that they restored the Map of the Stars quest. Is there a way to avoid starting the quest? I've read that you can restart the game and reset the timer, but with Belzebub, does that just mean restarting back in town, or do you need to start the game from scratch?

Do a new game and select your character rather than loading a game?

Stuntman posted:

Wanna team to rush our first chars on the new ladder? Reset is on the 22nd and I'd be playing HC east.

Sweet baby jesus I might join you. The only d2 I play is hc us-east.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, if you don't like the pace of Diablo, D2 is faster and more open. That said, you might need to grind lower levels for some gear/exp before you can more easily conquer the caves. You can craft gear that has +magic in order to learn spells. Getting some lifesteal would surely help, too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not really... I've been salvaging so much crap, that I just look at the basic rolls on the recipe, and try it out to see what I get. I've gotten some hilariously awesome rolls from crafting.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

tbh, Max, I only play Tchernobog, which is a bit different than Belzebub. First off there's no Torment, so the difficulty curve is different. Check out their forums and make a thread. You can pretty much just copy + paste what you wrote here. I bet you'll get a lot of good responses. Especially since Brightlord announced he is working on stuff again. There might be a command to artificially up the amount of players it thinks is in game, so you get more exp. This way you can do lower level poo poo.

As far as d2, it makes no difference what class you play. If you want to play with goons, there is a private realm for the mod Eastern Sun, and I can give you more details if you're interested.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

After thinking Tchernobog was dead, the owner came back and well, there's an update with like 50 bug fixes and a whole new difficulty level.

"http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=38986610238880893758

I hope that all critical bugs are fixed in this release. I ran out of time to apply all fixes and improvements that were planned. Sad

Tchernobog version 0.1.0
- Fixed bug that caused weapon to disapear
- Fixed bug that proevent secondary weaponset from being affected by repair all and recharge all npc services
- Fixed crash related to golem or other minion death
- Fixed game freeze that could occur on multiple reasons
- Fixed bug that caused player to apear at top of the map when loading level
- Fixed potential combat related crash
- Fixed spell visual effects disapearing too early
- Fixed monster animation desynchronization
- Fixed monster AI to be act better on higher resolutions
- Fixed bug that prevented to correctly consume spell charges and scrolls
- Fixed bug that prevented affixes on random unique monsters
- Fixed spell level glitch related to shirnes
- Fixed whrilwind skill bugs
- Fixed player and trade stash sizes and crash
- Fixed GUI message box glitch while using NPC services
- Fixed functional key skill bind crash
- Fixed elixirs duration displayed in tooltip
- Fixed grammar in several item names
- Fixed long sword and claymore order problems
- Fixed magic and cold damage bonuses from set items
- Fixed errors related to random unique monster names and AI
- Fixed bug that caused revived monsters revived by necromancers to be hostile towards player
- Fixed bug that caused killed revived monsters to remain on minimap
- Fixed diabolic shrine glitches that could spawn monster with undefined behaviour
- Fixed bug that caused rogue's multiple shot arrows to be placed too close to each other
- Fixed the dark lord death animation issues
- Fixed traps to properly effect players and monsters
- Fixed Thaumaturgic shrine to not respawn objects other then chests
- Fixed lightning damage per character level bonus on unique items
- Fixed wrong gold stack icon being selected while picking up pile
- Fixed bug related to billing for repair, recharge and identify shop operations
- Fixed statistic calculations for champion monsters
- Fixed Assassins Narcosis skill to not reset The Dark Lord and similary scripted monsters
- Fixed object mouse on hover selection range in town
- Fixed bug that allowed The skeleton king to use corpse explosion on normal difficulty
- Fixed bug that caused visited parts of map to disapear after reentering zone
- Fixed bug that caused warrior, rogue and assassin skill to be free
- Fixed glitch that caused player using melee and ranged skills to spam "OOM" sound
- Fixed bug that blocked hot keyed skill swap while holding mouse button
- Fixed map events desynchronization
- Fixed bug that caused summoned monsters to be killed by some of the special monsters
- Improved bonuses of barbarian, warrior and assassin classes from strength and dexterity attributes
- Barbarian physical strength and endurance are now greatly increased at cost of being unable to use spells that consume mana
- Warrior's charge is now level 24 skill
- Warrior's shield wall is now level 32 skill
- Necromancer's blood ritual is now level 16 skill and it's bonuses has been toned down
- Necromancer's corpse explosion is now level 24 skill
- Necromancer's revive is now level 32 skill
- Adjusted necromancer minions balance
- Golem, Zombie and Skeleton summons will now start with better resistances
- Monster repulse effects from enchancements now have short cooldown
- Players will now enter town with full health and mana
- Removed feature that allowed to cast repair, recharge and identify spells when clicking inside inventory
- Enabled Torment difficulty level
- Summonable and minion monsters are now only selectable when appropriate spell is selected
- Changed the flow of Butcher related quests
- Adjusted offset of Hammer icon cursor used while repairing
- Regular unique monsters may only have one affix
- Restored function of CTRL key
- Heal other cannot be used to heal caster player anymore
- Guardian spell now properly benefits from it's level rather then firebolt
- Modified resistances and immunities of monsters and bosses
- Monster immunity should be easier to remove with target resistances reducing items [125% cap]
- Reduced number of required materials for lower level recipies
- Adjusted monster spawn locations in Terrors Domain level
- The Dark Lord has been slightly toned down but gained mechanic that will disintegrate players using run away tactics
- Character saves are now protected from file write system failures."

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tcherno is multiplayer. Belzebub is singleplayer.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Screw "live" d2. I just can't do it anymore, 99% because endgame involves doing billions of baal or chaos runs. I've been playing a lot of Median XL. Not only that, but Median is getting a huge core engine/content update set to release in August. The biggest thing to mention is 1024 x 768 resolution.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Hell 2 is a lot of fun and still being updated. Tcherno had a big update awhile ago but honestly it broke all my chars and made leveling impossible.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've never played beelzebub as I like multiplayer. But, um.

Tcherno/belz is more like d2 in that it adds classes and abilities for those classes that are more like d2, like necromancer. You gain class skills as you level up, that go along side learning of spells. Tcherno hasn't been updated for at least a year, and is still an alpha. Last patch he fixed some bugs, and added an entire difficulty but somewhere in the tweaking the game became impossible. There was a bug with hydra pets that allowed them to do far too much damage, but honestly my necro can barely touch half the stuff he did before because of it and my other chars also suffered from extreme difficulty spikes that make it a huge slog. I will not be trying it again until it's more complete(this may never happen).

The Hell 2 is as update to The Hell. One main feature is that it has HD resolution support just like Tcherno. So you can play at whatever resolution you like. Otherwise, it adds classes, and new gear and items and enhancements and also has content from the Hellfire expansion. It feels more like D1 than tcherno does. That and it feels more balanced, even though it's hard as gently caress. And he's working on adding quests into multiplayer, which is pretty cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think all you need is the diabdat.mpq from the diablo 1 install. Hellfire is built into the mod. It also has full multiplayer support. We should all play sometime. Have always wanted to try a monk. They can block with a 2h staff and hit multiple targets at once.

E: Looks like they dont host a site anymore, look on modbd for the latest The Hell 2 stuff. Keep in mind that TH2 is not complete yet, but does incorporate the content from TH1 and is fully playable. I think mostly all that's missing is full quest support in multiplayer and some balance issues. You'll need to edit the cfg file for the resolution of your choice. There's other options as well that you'll see.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 28, 2018

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://gitlab.com/whist/MXLS/milestones/1

So close to Median XL Sigma!!!!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

New Median Sigma ladder on the 26th. They totally reworked the necromancer and I am excited. :D

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

Any way to get widescreen on 1.14d playing on bnet?

In nvidia settings you should be able to scale the screen or gpu to fullscreen.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Do we have a Diablo 2 Discord? It would be nice to play with people every once and awhile.

We do now. Horadric Goon discord: https://discord.gg/w8AxQMV

I play median xl hardcore and tchernobog diablo 1. Both are updated regularly. Tcherno even has a linux port coming. Oh mai!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Khorne posted:

I'm in too many drat discords. How about we ask for channel(s) in the d3 discord?

I truly feel that. I was trying to stay away from associating with d3 because I personally don't like it. At least you can place discord channels together under one bubble. Regardless, if you can get us a channel there I'd try it out. As long as we get people interested in playing diablo 1 and 2, and mods, I'm down. Was planning to have a biweekly or monthly game night where we all play the same mod and do multiplayer.

Even stupid poo poo like ironman runs, or hardcore runs where no one can leave the server and the last person to live/die get some sort of honor. /shrug

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Had to fix the link, if people do want to join. https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is anyone else interested in playing the diablo 1 hd mod multiplayer client, Tchernobog? https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

I have a couple goons on board already. I'll figure out which game browser we might need to easily connect. I think it has a semi-officially supported one. If anyone not familiar with the mod would like more of an idea about it, I can provide some more details. It's fun to go in fresh, though.

Once I see what kind of interest we have I can set up more of a specific time to play.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We're going to play some Tchernobog tomorrow around 8-9pm EST. Instructions and all that happy poo poo is in the discord I linked above, but just in case: wVCstGq

Check out the pinned messages in mod-news. We'll be using zerotier to connect to the network, but it's all interfaced in game, so it's easy.

For anyone not aware. Tchernobog is the multiplayer client for D1 HD project. Beyond having stuff like 1080p resolution support and other quality of life features, it also has stuff like waypoints, new classes, shared stashes, crafting, new spells, new areas, just COOL poo poo. So yeah. Come join us.

(I'm honestly very excited that this project has new development support. Someone from the community took the reigns of the project after the initial developer lost interest and have been steadily working on Tchernobog. Currently it has a linux port in progress, which means I can play diablo on my odroid n2. After they are done with that, lots more tweaks should be coming through along with multiplayer full quest support. Booyah!)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 8, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Whatever you do, don't play Median XL first if you plan to play a more classic experience. You'll get spoiled by the increased resolution, leveling speed, progression, and endgame content. By the time you're done trolling through Act 2 on classic, you'll be at the end of normal in Median, with the beginning of a nice build and gear.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I made a discord awhile ago for diablo goons.

https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think at this point, if you're looking for some crazy updated (non-classic) experience, then Median XL is simply the best. It is definitely too bad ES is no longer updated. But, if anything I am super spoiled by the 1024x768 resolution of Median(along with some nicer glide settings) that I cannot go back to 800x600.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well, they've mastered the engine enough for it to be true 1024x768. So, you've got like 20% more screen visible, not the same 800x600 that is blown up. This is also the best compromise in terms of monster view distance and gameplay integrity, especially for multiplayer.

Afaik and please correct me if I am wrong, but median is the only mod that can create and utilize new maps and content and zones without having to move around or recycle already existing zones. This was an engine limit every d2 mod had to work around.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Here's my take: gently caress a remaster!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heh, I had totally forgotten diablo 4 is even a thing. Pleeeeaaasssseee dont be bad.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It probably will have a terrible story. I always wanted a Diablo prequel where you could play as key figures in the Sin Wars. Like, those would be the classes.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not even disagreeing here but LOL at the point about getting a soj on nm Andy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My cognitive dissonance allowed me to call d4, "gauntlet: diablo", in my head and enjoy it for what it is.

However, it is quite clear to me, at least, that all diablo 2 really lacked was some sort of progressive end game content.

Diablo 3 is entirely boring "endgame" content that is not compelling in any way. If your core mechanic is seemingly infinite, interchangeable levels,, with the sole pupose to continue to experience endless higher level interchangeable levels all while having to balance classes with access to any skills at all times with watered down uniques that aren't truly unique cause you keep rolling one dumb stat on it (which is worse than farming an item over and over for the best roll because you can at least trade or sell the lesser rolls).

So, d3 is either a jj Abrams movie or a decent gauntlet game. An arcade beat em up with rpg gear elements. There are no meaningful skill or stat choices. Nothing is tailored for hardcore, or suspense, or even pvp to blow off steam.

D3 is methadone when all you want is smack.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60020

Who's gonna join me?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I guess I'm not really excited for the remaster. Especialy considering it will be a vanilla experience. A 3d engine slapped onto d2 won't fix the endgame. We already have access to some pretty insane mods. Besides, with the graphics slider, it doesn't seem to change the resolution? As far as I can tell this will just break mods. Mods that are so divergent from the vanilla experience, that I highly doubt anyone will put in the work to translate them to a "new" project.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but this is clearly a cash grab to keep us interested until d4 comes out.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The one thing that is really bothering me about the reveal is it looks like the people see the monsters first.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Diablo 1 was quite playable on ps1.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The fan HD remake (Belzebub I think?) adds running outside of dungeons and honestly, makes walking in dungeons ok as long as I'm not slowly pacing in town

Belz hasn't been updated in years. A new person has taken over the multiplayer component, called Tchernobog. They just added a new class, Spellblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What needs to be updated about it? Seemed very playable when I last booted it up

Oh, I'm just saying that Tcherno has carried on with many updates and fixes (that I don't know off the top of my head). Minus not having quests yet, it's pretty drat good.