Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am definitely going to take a stroll down the nostalgia road on D2R with some friends this fall, but I do wonder what they'll do about stuff like high rune drop rates.

Presumably there will be a lot less botting and duping now, but those two things made a whole host of stuff exist in the ladder economy what otherwise wouldn't in any appreciable numbers.

I suspect they'll end up buffing drop rates in a later ladder season after people come back and complain they played 40 hours a week for 3 months and never saw a Ber all season.

I also wonder how much playing a single season of PoE will have ruined D2 trading for me.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i mean it can't be worse than trading in poe
I liked the low-friction trading in poe by comparison. I can totally see why some people hate it (such people should just play ssf). But for my casual enjoyment poe's ease of trading made it much more straightforward to grind for currency and "complete" a build. If I played ssf I wouldn't have had time to do that within a single league.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s a respec option that involves grinding mats? I thought you only get 3 per character, one per difficulty from Ashara and that’s it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Two QoL things they should do with this which they probably won't:

1) Some improvement to finding games. Maybe just adding a search and filter function to the lobby would be enough. And allow you to search/see lower difficulty games even after you've advanced to nightmare/hell.

2) Reduce trade friction via game-linked website ala PoE or PD2. Obviously don't need to open the auction house can of worms, but just adding a filterable searchable index where people can list items and requested prices would improve the experience immensely and keep some segment of the player base away from 3rd party stuff like d2jsp

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 16, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My solution to maggot lair pathing issues:
1) play sorc for starter character, use teleport
2) get rushed by sorc friend through act 2 for all other characters

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This game doesn't have much staying power for me unless I'm playing with friends, and my friends are not deep into the weeds on mods so they're all just gonna play D2R. I suspect we'll get a few months of nostalgia out of it together and then wander away to other things.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PD2 also nurfed Enigma, making the teleport a 5-charge blink skill that replenishes 1 charge every 3 seconds. That's probably about right for the item, you get some mobility and emergency blink, but you can't spam it to speedfarm.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 31, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The QoL changes you get are:

-Larger stash space including shared stash
-Auto gold pickup
-Ladder items available on non-ladder (including ubers)
-Killing cow king doesn’t prevent you from making the cow level portal again

I’d prefer more, like stackable gems/runes and a trade website, but these are good enough for a nostalgic few months with friends.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s less nomenclature confusion if you call the SoJ-spawned one “Diablo Clone”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's why you get a couple friends together, divide your efforts to farm keys, then kill the ubers together several times and collect a bunch of torches

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you think that’s bad don’t read what blizzard had to say about the Next Hit Always Misses bug recently

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

no ladder on launch is good actually, cause they put all the ladder-exclusive content on non-ladder for D2R so I can play with friends at a chill pace and still get the cool stuff, and since that's the only option on launch there will be plenty of other people online to play with too

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 14, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you aren’t poopsocking your way to 99 then ladder only has one appeal: a fresh game economy (because they’ve already said all previously ladder-exclusive content like some runewords and the Ubers will be available on non-ladder)

So you don’t need a ladder at launch because it’s a fresh economy anyway.

And if you are eager to climb a list and attempt world first stuff, then you can use the launch period as scouting/warm up time to re-familiarize yourself with the game before your nerd-race begins in a few weeks/months. And be grateful that it serves as a stress test for the servers so you aren’t raging at disconnects when the ladder actually begins.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've never had the inclination to play hardcore but I would think necro for the meatshields + curses and sorc for the damage

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A significant reason why "no one plays non-ladder" was because a bunch of the best runewords weren't available on non-ladder. I know that's the reason I played ladder with friends whenever we'd return to the game for a couple months every few years. Now with that incentive gone, we'll just play non-ladder because we don't care about the ranking/race aspect.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the drop rate has not changed, but "has not changed" has to be placed within the context of improvements to farming and drop rates that have been made to Diablo 2 since whenever it was you last took a look at it

Countess runs can make quite a number of runes within reach, for example
For some context on this:

ex: Ber is ~10x more likely to drop than it was in patch 1.12

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah even during just a couple day of playing the beta I was accustomed to the new graphics, then I’d hit that toggle and realize how much worse they used to be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is so odd which bugs this dev team has decided to fix and which they haven't. there must be something about NHAM that makes it harder to fix and they're just using "Original Game Experience" as an excuse not to fix it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is a pretty nice reference sheet that was recently reposted on reddit. Probably most useful for returning players who know what all these things mean. Has a lot of stuff like breakpoints, upgrade/crafting recopies, area levels, runewords, hell farming zone immunities, even which direction to search in each zone for the next objective. If you select the runes you have it will also highlight which runewords you can make.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 17, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That explanation of NHAM would seem to conflict with the community claim that the bug didn’t exist before patch 1.09

Does it happen for offline characters?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I thought it was possible to play D2 fully offline, without an internet connection at all. I know i played it that way in high school. How does this desync explanation fit with that?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Been thinking about how I’ll start and chatting with the friend group I’ll play with. We got two sorcs and a javazon apparently, so I think I might as well go hammerdin.

However, we’d like to do ubers as a group asap, so I’m wondering about the viability of smite hybridization at early gear levels. Just 1 point in smite, max holy shield, rest of the build normal hammer stuff.

It wouldn’t be as optimized as the solo budget smiters all the guides talk about but would it be sufficient for this group of 4 I wonder?

I don’t want to make it a dedicated smiter because I want the farming ease of hammers on the first character.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

preload is up now for those throwing money at blizzard prematurely

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the 3rd CD was just the sweet cinematics too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of people seem to like it on controller, cause you get to just press a button and the spell is cast instead of button + mouse click.