Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moxie posted:

I wanted to try a Zeal/Holy Freeze build, is that still viable?

Very viable, especially now that Holy Freeze (and Fire) both do the pulsing damage thing and add damage to your basic attacks to match Holy Shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't want to copy someone else's build, just remember that you're not really supposed to spend the skill points as soon as you earn them. Identify what skill you want to attack with primarily, sink a point each into the prerequisites, and then just spend the points on your target skill.

As for stats, you never really want to spend anything on Energy, and you'll only really want to spend points in STR or DEX if you have a piece of equipment that you want to wear but can't yet. Otherwise points go into VIT if and when you feel you're dying too easily (although better equipment itself can relieve that)

Lord of Destruction and the patches over the last decade have really changed the game (in many ways to be easier) if all you ever played was the original release version.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

I don't see a D1 thread anywhere, so asking here. I saw a stream on Twitch last night of this nifty HD mod, has anyone played it? D1 was the first game I got for my first x86 PC and I loved it to death so I'm interested in checking it out. Installation seems to possibly be a pain in the rear end, though.

Installation of this is as "simple" as copying over the main Diablo 1 MPQ into the install folder of the game. It works really well and lets you play Diablo 1 will all the modern bells and whistles like waypoints and alt-item-highlighting and running within town.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You could turn off the extra run speed in town and never use the alt-highlighting and set the resolution to 640 by 480 and never use the things like Adria's mana recharge dialog option and manipulate your inventory manually without the shift/alt/right-click shortcuts and get pretty close, I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Is Lower Restance not good enough?

IIRC those doors have 1000 Poison Resistance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I believe Eastern Sun is the gold standard for mods that adds a truckton of stuff while also overhauling the gameplay and in many ways making it more player-friendly, but I've long since lost the knowledge on how to make it work with modern systems and patches.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything you need to do in particular to get the game set up on Windows 7? I found an HD mod here, but I don't know if you need some other patch to get the game running. Also, are there any quality-of-life mods that improve the interface or add any conveniences?

I also thought about checking out the Hellfire expansion. Do you need to do anything special to get it working?

That mod you're linking already has a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, notably increased movement speed while in town and ALT-highlighting of items.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.

Something I was curious about. I was listening to a podcast a while ago, and they said that on the harder difficulties in Diablo 2, there are enemies that are immune to all kinds of damage (physical, elemental, magic). Is that a bug, or is there some specific way you have to defeat them?

Every enemy in Hell difficulty is going to be immune to at least one type of damage, but nobody's ever going to immune to EVERY type of damage all at the same time.

The assumption is that you will build a character that can deal at least two different types of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

With the Sorceress, are you limited to using staffs, or are other weapons viable? I ask because I learned that the classes in D1 had disadvantages when using skills that don't pertain to their class (ex. the Warrior can't cast magic as fast as the Sorcerer, but the Sorcerer has the slowest melee attack), and I was wondering if the same sort of rules applied in D2.

There are certain class-specific items that you will never be able to even equip, but as long as you meet the STR and/or DEX requirements of any given item, you're free to use it.

There are certain Sorceress builds that, for example, make use of the Enchant skill to turn her into a melee fighter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Off-hand, I can remember very early versions of Diablo 2 with a Zeal skill that went up by 1 additional strike per skill point you put into it, but a bug in the game creates an effect where after the character blocks, then all subsequent swings will automatically miss. Zeal was capped to 5 swings max in response.

As far as I know this bug still exists even in Live, and unfortunately still also affects the Fend skill of the Amazon, which cannot necessarily be "capped" because the point of Fend is that it makes the Amazon swing once against each enemy in range, which is made even worse by the fact that the Amazon's use of dodge skills means that they trigger the bug oftener than other classes otherwise might.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's pretty much a universally bad idea to put points into Energy. Chug more mana pots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not mistaken there's a sort of Leap (not Leap Attack) build where you spam it and the "flinch" animation it triggers can act as a perma-stun, but it's a group-oriented build since you won't be dealing any damage yourself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fire is also one of the most common immunities. A fire build can put out enough damage to be viable, but unless you're with a group or are farming a specific spot that doesn't have fire immunes, you need a way to deal with immunes. This is usually done with an investment into Frozen Orb, since it's one of the few skills that can output decent damage without needing lots of synergies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did they ever add more runewords after 1.11?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
OpenTTD, but for Diablo, would be a hell of a thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

On the topic of Diablo 1 and mods, was the Belzebub HD mod abandoned? I played through it a year or so ago, and I tried picking it up again recently.

I believe the more updated one is called "Tchernobog", though I don't know if it's from the same developer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you should get three respecs - one per completion of the Den of Evil quest, per difficulty?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy Shock Zealot already is the cheap build, because you can focus your gear on survivability rather than also having to derive firepower from it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://quiet-springs-45295.herokuapp.com/

There's this demo of a guy that's using "AI" to upscale the original D2 graphics. Just give them enough Folding@home resources to do the rest of the art and we're home free.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is this something that is actually true or is it the same as "dying or TPing on Countess runs means you only get basic runes" level of bullshit?

The Countess dropping runes whenever she's killed was a thing that was deliberately put into the game by the devs for the purposes of making it easier to acquire (some lower-end) runes.

The part about her drop quality becoming worse because you died or TP'ed is bullshit.

The Lower Kurast chests aren't specifically programmed to drop runes: they just happen to be the right kind of chest, in the right level of area, to have a chance of yielding high runes.

Since their location and consistent spawning means you can farm them, you can just play the odds and click them often enough to get high runes, even if all you're really doing is using "standard" drop chances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

Diablo 2 modding makes no sense to me.

Want to completely replace all of a classes's skills along with new icons and the skill tree UI? Go right ahead.

Want to remove the defense penalty while running? Ha, Ha, Go gently caress yourself!

that's because some things in the game are exposed in the MPQ files and can be changed readily, while other stuff is buried in the game's executable and can't be changed short of getting the source code

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
huh I didn't know that people were able to modify that much in the... years since I've last played. That's pretty neat.

I do kinda agree though that run penalties have a deliberate tactical design purpose that you wouldn't necessarily want to remove even if you could - "white man walks, black man runs" was a saying in an old Defiant Paladin build guide that's stuck with me all these years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the remake news got me to reinstall Diablo 2 again, and I've got it running on 1.14d with PlugY

am I correct that there's no high-res for that patch? all the googling I've done tells me no, and that the last patch it worked on was 1.12, but then I don't know if I'm really missing out on any single-player stuff if I ever rolled back to that version

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We stan Marianne Williamazon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the D3 story was complete poo poo and reworking the game to allow people to ignore it completely was maybe the best thing that was ever done to that game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

lmao

Any chance they're at least fixing the Fend bug? "Certain melee Amazons can't use their main defensive skill or else they become unplayable" can't be contorted into a meaningful decision no matter how hard they try, right?

Also the Amazon block animation

Also the Zeal and Feral Fury bugs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Setting my Paladin's aura to the right trigger where it will do... nothing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's very common that nobody ever put points in Energy at all

it's also common practice to go
* just enough STR to wear whatever equipment you expect to have
* just enough DEX to wear whatever equipment you expect to have (or just enough DEX for 75% block, for shield-using builds)
* VIT to everything else

following this plan strictly generally expects that you have some idea of what your "endgame" outfit is going to be. I imagine most people who don't pre-plan to that extent end up with a lot more STR / DEX than they otherwise could have, while still putting in lots of points into VIT. It's also a "convenience" thing to be able to wear all of your equipment without needing STR / DEX boosts to put it on in terms of recovering your body after a death.

this isn't necessarily a PvP thing either: having lots of points in VIT helps you survive even when fighting monsters as a single-player

if you're using PlugY, then of course you have the option of reallocating your points at any time, though it's understandable if you don't want to do this from a purist perspective

there are also special builds that go "only enough STR to wear equipment, then everything into DEX", or vice-versa, in order to maximize damage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In no particular order:

* you should not really be chasing after 95% chance to hit - something like 9000 AR will let you hit Hell Ball 70% of the time as a level 85 character. It's my understanding that characters that want/need to get AR this high aim for specific items just as the Angelic Ring or Metalgrid or "Sharp" charms

* in Nightmare difficulty, Bloody Foothills has an area level of 58, and the whole Worldstone Keep has an area level of 65. Since you can keep gaining full XP from an area as long as you're within 5 levels of it (and even a 6-level difference still gives you 81% of the regular XP you might have earned), you can stay in Nightmare until at least character level 63, and until character level 70 at most. I say this because it can feel like it's possible to finish Nightmare somewhat sooner than that, but then you get to Hell and there's a huge difficulty spike, but besides needing good equipment, a lot of it is also staying in NM and just grinding until 70 to get the most out of your stat and skill points

* more generally Hell is really just this thing that you have to play on players 1 unless you're awash in the kinds of uniques and runewords that you wouldn't necessarily have access to in single-player outside of modding or botting. NM is easy enough to beat just doing whatever and making intelligent skill choices, but just the hump of "what do I do when a monster is immune to my one primary attack?" is not easy to answer. Like you said, a Paladin might have access to Vengeance, but even that isn't a great solution because it either sucks up a ton of mana if you "spec" into it, or it deals very little damage if you only have a single point invested into it... but you can at least make the latter less painful if you're only on players 1

* and that applies to something like "just use Harmony to get around a Physical Immune". Back-of-the-napkin math: A Wraith in Act 2 Arcane Sanctuary is 100% physical immune, 50% fire resistant, 60% lightning resistant, and has about 3,000 HP in Hell difficulty. Your Harmony's mods just by themselves would be hitting for 53 fire, 43 lightning and 107 cold damage on average. Dividing 3,000 HP by 203 damage per shot gives ~14 shots to a kill. That's not too bad, and you'd likely have some additional damage from other sources even if you don't use one of your elemental arrow skills, but adding just one player then makes it take 21 shots to kill, and it gets increasingly more tedious after that

* I think an Act 5 merc should be fine - if you have a Lawbringer, go ahead and let him use it, but mind that it's not going to break as many immunities as you think it might

for the rest of it, you seem to be getting the swing of things where you can tell when stuff is taking too long to kill and are grinding appropriately to enable better gear, so I think you're on the right track

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

Harmony on a matriarchal bow. Playing single player with PlugY.

A Matriarchal Bow has a base weapon speed of [-10]

The Strafe IAS breakpoints for a [-10] weapon are as follows:

pre:
0% IAS       13/3
2% IAS       12/3
13% IAS      11/3
15% IAS      10/3
37% IAS       9/3
60% IAS       9/2
80% IAS       8/2
how to read this chart:

* if you only have the 45% IAS all by itself, and no other sources of IAS, then you'll have passed the 37% IAS breakpoint, which means the first shot of your Strafe will take 9 frames to run (the number to the left of the slash), and every succeeding shot will take 3 frames to run (the number of the right of the slash)

* your Strafe will not get any faster until and unless you get to the next breakpoint, which is 60% IAS. Since you already have 45% IAS, then you need another 15% IAS from somewhere else

* the next breakpoint after that is 80% IAS... but practically that's not really that important to chase after since it's only reducing the first attack by one frame

References:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Matriarchal_Bow
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/new-updated-strafe-ias-breakpoints.183692/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the thing about Diablo 2 is that since it's a 2D, sprite-based game, the animations are discrete, so you can't "speed up" animations by an arbitrary amount, since you're limited by how many frames of animation actually exist, which is why attack speed increases work on a level that's completely divorced from what the raw numbers might make you think they do just going by their intuitive meaning

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as a Diablo 2 Paladin guide once said: white man runs, black man walks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

the FMVs are still the old ones as placeholders

they really need to remaster these into 4k

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
anyone have a link to some vods of the streams?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Loading is the biggest issue so far. Popping around is pretty big to Diablo's gamefeel. That's something that D3 really messed up at launch. Ah well.

ah shucks that's going to be disappointing if it persists - you're right that zipping around with zero load times is a huge part of D2 and was a big part of why I could never get into Torchlight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they say MASK OFF! in a chilling prediction of the COVID-19 pandemic years ahead of its time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Armageddon is caught in this awkward position where it's too unreliable to be a primary skill, but requires too much recasting and investment to be a passive damage aura.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is kind of getting broad but I actually disliked the way Blizzard moved into a combat model where things have to be active and triggered/intelligently pressed all the time. My favorite build in D2 was a Defiant Paladin and my favorite spec in WoW was the Prot Paladin specifically because you just crunched the math and it did all the work for you.

When they moved to later WoW expansions and Diablo 3 where you're supposed to have a "rotation", and not even a rote one, but something that requires you keep an eye on timers and triggered effects and chained combos, from a design perspective I understood why they thought that was better for player interactivity, but it wasn't really my speed.

Anyway, to bring this back to D2, one of the things they did do to make auras less of a purely passive effect was giving Holy Fire and Holy Freeze a direct-damage component, similar to what Holy Shock did. It's my understanding that with synergies, those are even powerful enough to at least carry a character into Nightmare, with Hell being of course more of a problem with all the immunes. I look forward to doing a Holy Fire Zealot in the remaster - you get to play with your main skill very early on, which means you can coast through Normal without having to bank skills until 30+, and even after the dude gets retired you can still use him to farm chippies and low-level runes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do we know if D2Ress is using the latest D2 patch, such that all the runewords and Countess runs and events and stuff is unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of it is going to bank on how moddable the game is

Because if you can't do Eastern Sun or Median XL on D2R, I'm willing to bet there are still going to be D2 Vanilla communities out there just to play those mods