Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm very impressed with the controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if it's just me, or if they deliberately made a change, or if this is just a function of the game running at a much higher frame-rate, but the summons seems a LOT more responsive and aggressive. I'm playing around with a pure summoner Druid right now and the wolves feel powerful as heck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Act 1 completed at level 16.

Game still owns so many years later.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Resurrected still have the Amazon Fend and block duration bugs?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

coelomate posted:

Is there another thread for D2R? I'm surprised this one isn't more popping with the beta live.

I think it was decided that we're going to get one when it's much closer to a live release, but it's not like the thread has been getting inundated with non-Resurrected posting that you couldn't do it here for now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably going to do a Summoner Druid or a Summoner Necro because it's largely gear-independent, and then build up the shared stash's goodies to pave the way for a Paladin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

captain innocuous posted:

they FIXED THE MAGGOT LAIR.

please elaborate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the two main problems with Poison Dagger are the large number of immune enemies in Hell, combined with the 10 second duration on the Poison (compared to 2 seconds on Poison Nova) and how the various interactions with added poison on items can change the duration to make it worse

but other than that, the fact that poison damage in D2 can kill a monster straight dead with no other input, and the damage scaling being so good on anything that's actually vulnerable, makes it a very cool/useful build

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

That is amazing. I kinda want to try this out instead of the lag-o-mancer. I forget, isn't there a way to reduce an enemies immunity to a point where they take damage? I might be misremembering.

if a monster has 100% or more resistance to an element, they are immune

if you apply an effect that lowers resistances against a monster that is already immune, in this case the Lower Resist curse for poison, the resistance reduction effect works at 1/5th potency

if the 1/5th effect is enough to drop the resistance 99% or less, then the immunity is "broken" and the monster can be damaged by that element again

the Lower Resist curse maxes out at -70% resistance reduction, so if the monster has between 100 to 114% resistance to poison, then a sufficiently high-level Lower Resist curse can break the immunity

unfortunately a lot of monsters have way more Poison Resist than this, so that's not going to work in a number of cases

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are two ways to reduce elemental resistances:

1. Conviction, a Paladin aura that can also be found on a high-level runeword
2. the Lower Resist Curse from Necromancers, which you can kinda sorta get as charges on an item if you're willing to do back-and-forth weapon swaps and eating the gold cost of recharging the item

The first method is rather difficult to get if you're not already a Paladin speccing into Conviction anyway.

The second method... only works in niche circumstances because even if weapon swap inconvenience and gold cost for recharging was no problem, lots of immune monsters have such high resistances over 100 that the LR won't be enough to break the immunity

___

Sidebar: Conviction does not include Poison damage, but Lower Resist does. The Amplify Damage and Decrepify curses also reduces physical resistance, which makes it pertinent to other classes, but not the Sorceress

___

As a more broad discussion:

* it's only in Hell that a monster is always immune to at least one element, but Nightmare is good up to level 75-ish, so there's a LOT of game to play even before getting to Hell (though I guess rushing is a thing)

* the only real way to avoid getting stymied by a monster that's immune to your primary element damage is to have a second one. Since your primary attack/primary element is usually going to eat 60 points after the main skill plus synergies, then ideally your secondary element should be something that can do a decent amount of damage with a single point, or with a 20-point investment

* it's been a while, but to my knowledge, Frozen Orb usually fits this bill for Sorceresses - so you can do something like dumping 60 points into Fireball and its synergies, then 20 into FO, and then you use FO whenever you run into a Fire Immune

* obviously, FO at 20 points (or a Barbarian's 1-point Berserk, or a Paladin's 1-point Vengeance for Physical Immunes) isn't going to deal nearly as much damage as your main attack, but the other aspect to it is that it's fine if you're not playing /players8 - if you're soloing, and the monster HP is set to a 1-player game, using FO to kill a Fire Immune Fallen is going to be more than enough

* and if you are playing with even just one more person, then ideally that second person is going to have a primary attack that's of a different element than yours, and you cover for each other, and ditto for larger groups

* finally, when you're "farming" the game, you'll get to learn that there are certain dungeons and certain zones with the near-highest-level monsters for the best loot, and you can predict the monster mix, and you can choose which one you can go to where everyone is vulnerable to your primary attack. For example, the Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 Hell will NEVER have a Cold Immune monster, making it ideal for a Blizzard (or something) Sorc, or the Mausoleum only ever has Lightning Immune monsters, so character that do NOT use Lightning can farm that dungeon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Don't you need to be able to farm the respec things from hell bosses? So if you use all 3 before you're good enough to beat all the bosses you're kinda still hosed.

completing the Den of Evil quest gives you a respec from Akara, so that's three for a character with zero farming

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

For new players - there is nothing wrong with putting 10-20 points into Energy at the start of the game if you’re constantly running out of mana. I know the try-hard min/max guides say any points into energy are a waste but I don’t find frantically shuffling mana pots from inventory to belt in the middle of a firefight to be an enjoyable experience.

Can someone explain why 20 points into Frozen Orb is better than 20 points into Blizzard as a backup cold element attack? Frozen orb requires 3 more pre-requisite skills to unlock

FO is a lot more straightforward to use - point-and-shoot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerepol posted:

to be expected, but after 20 years D2 LOD doesn't have the draw it used to even with a new coat of paint.

So far modding from the beta seems to be mostly texture replacements. I'm curious what it'll look like post release

ASUS ROG STRIX PALADIN 2000 GAMING-X

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A summoner druid or necromancer would be the most "gear-independent", but the playstyle is also very stylized and the specific bottlenecks of act-end bosses and Maggot Lair can be off-putting to a newcomer

I would recommend a Paladin as a beginning character:

- pick up all the prerequisites required for Zeal, Fanaticism Aura, and Holy Shield
- use the prerequisites while you don't have those two yet, which is Sacrifice for your main attack, and Might Aura, and then later Concentration Aura. When you get Zeal, start using that. When you get Holy Shield, start using that. When you get Fanaticism Aura, start using that
- put enough points into Zeal to get to five attacks
- save everything else
- when you get to Fanaticism Aura, max that out
- once Fanaticism Aura is maxed out, go back and max out Holy Shield
- then you can go back and max out Sacrifice, which will increase your damage from Zeal
- that should give you something like 11 skill points remaining by the time you end Nightmare difficulty at level 75
- for stats, you can just keep dumping everything into Vitality, until you see a piece of equipment you like, and then you can put points into Strength/Dexterity to meet those prerequisites

I'm recommending this because the melee Paladin is very simple to play. Left-click everything until it dies. Cast Holy Shield whenever it's not activated. Keep Fanaticism Aura active the whole rest of the time.

The skill selection is also very easy - while there are other melee classes, something like a Martial Arts Assassin or a Barbarian can be a little more complicated to play.

You're guaranteed to be able to finish Nightmare on this (pretty much all classes can, but again, much simpler for the Paladin), and by the time you're done there, you should be familiar enough with the game that you can look at trying something else, while also having a character that can "farm" some items for whatever second character you might want.

You could even take such a character into Hell, but Hell is always a bigger leap in terms of needing "good" gear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, any of the Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock skills are a perfectly workable alternative to Fanaticism, though investing in the synergy (and leaving Sacrifice as a Zeal synergy for last) would eat up even more points

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
by most accounts controller support is excellent

I think the cheapest controller option is an Xbox 360 controller, which should work with Windows out of the box and instantly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mustached Demon posted:

Diablo 2 Durance of heritage not Durance of hate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Can someone explain the whole sojs sold to merchants system?

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/%C3%9Cber_Diablo

the devs created an event in patch 1.10 that would cause "Uber Diablo" to spawn if a certain number of Stone of Jordan rings were sold to merchants

Uber Diablo would replace the first "super-unique" monster that the players spawn, so something like Corpsefire inside the Den of Evil

if you killed Uber Diablo, he would drop an Annihilus charm, which is a fairly powerful item for only taking up one inventory slot

the whole thing relied on selling SoJs to merchants because the history of D2 meant that there was a lot of them floating around as a consequence of duping and botting, and the devs wanted to create a way to convince people to willingly "destroy" their rings in order to crack down on the supply

presumably, since the economy in D2R is going to be "fresh", then keeping the Uber Diablo event exactly the same as it is will have a different context, because there won't be a lot of "excess" SoJs for people to give up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I knew about the uber part, weren't there other ubers in some epic tristram gauntlet or something?

"Uber Tristram" is different from "Uber Diablo" - it kinda sucks because the terminology is imprecise and confusing

Uber Diablo is the one that's triggered by selling SoJs to merchants, and spawns just the one guy, Uber Diablo, who drops the Annihilus small charm

Uber Tristram is the one where you need to farm drops from Andariel, Duriel, and Izual in Hell difficulty, and then when you put them together, it summons a portal to Uber Tristram, where you fight Uber Baal, Uber Mephisto and... Pandemonium Diablo. And you get the Hellfire Torch large charm as a reward. This is an event that a player can theoretically always access with enough time and effort, though it's also a much harder event that Uber Diablo, and the Hellfire Torch isn't quite as universally useful as Annihilus, because the +3 skills is towards a specific class, rather than "all skills".

codo27 posted:

The actual selling of the sojs was what I was wondering about though, like you just sold them to the NPC merchants? Seems like such a ridiculous thing to do but the reasoning makes sense

Yes, you just sold them to merchants. I figure it's something that the devs can watch for as an event trigger, while also making the SoJ completely unrecoverable (which is the point, remove them from the economy), without also needing to, say, code new NPC dialogue.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sorry star man you made a good OP, if only I was literate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: aiming hammers sucks rear end

I would suggest Trapsin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like a weird comparison because this one has at least had several expansions since it released and there's no indication or guarantee you're going to get any of that with D2R. I don't remember why people didn't like it but I had fun playing a few games with a friend before forgetting about it again. :shrug:

AOE 2 HD is different from AOE 2 Definitive Edition.

The latter is excellent value, but the earlier HD re-release was correctly more of a D2R scenario where the main draw was just being able to buy the game commercially again without needing to :filez: it and not having to jump through any compatibility hoops

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the drop rate has not changed, but "has not changed" has to be placed within the context of improvements to farming and drop rates that have been made to Diablo 2 since whenever it was you last took a look at it

Countess runs can make quite a number of runes within reach, for example

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So since the next attack bug is still there and presumably never going to be fixed, does that mean we just use something else? Is Sacrifice a viable primary attack?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Ok I'm not searching twinked at work, I thought I knew what it meant with only dark souls context but I guess not. What is it?

"twinked" means "getting nice hand-me-down items from a higher-level character"

for example, a one easy way to "twink" would be to play your first character up to Act 3, assemble Khalim's Will for the quest, and then go back and give it to your second character

since Khalim's Will is a quest item that needs to be wielded by everyone, it has no level requirement, and no STR/DEX requirement

but it deals a lot of damage for something that you can start wielding at level 1, and costs nothing to arm, so your level 1 character immediately starts the game with a weapon that's useful until at least Act 3 itself

(and in the meantime you can still finish Act 3 if you can have a friend get you to the Durance of Hate waypoint)

the Horadric Staff also works on a similar principle, but it's less good in this manner because it's a two-handed weapon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- Yes, running will set your Defense to zero, and will also cut your chance-to-block to about a third. When I was running a Defiant Paladin build, the advice was "white man runs, black man walks"

- Monsters USED TO have a blanket 50% physical resistance, but that was in a very old patch, and it was kinda bad because it meant way too many monsters were becoming Physical Immune when the 50% PR would add-on to whatever PR the base monster model had. They eventually abandoned it in favor of doubling every monster's base HP, which is what D2 is still using to this day.

- Yes, "leech resistance" is a thing, with most Undead like skeletons and zombies having it set to a number that means you cannot life/mana leech from them at all.

- I went over this in some previous pages, but while it is possible to "break" immunities with Amplify Damage/Decrepify/Conviction/Lower Resist, your best bet to get around a target that's immune to your primary attack's element is to have a secondary attack that deals a different element of damage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

I thought it was possible to play D2 fully offline, without an internet connection at all. I know i played it that way in high school. How does this desync explanation fit with that?

Assuming you give the argument any merit at all, offline single-player still works on a server/client model, just with the client connecting to a server at 127.0.0.1

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing you really want from Smite is the stun, but the stun duration does scale with skill level, so if you really wanted to analyze it, you'd check how fast your Smite is relative to the stun duration and look for what it'd take to get a perma-stun going.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
theamazonbasin used to be a treasure trove of deep mechanical info, but sadly it looks like that website has been eated by time and history

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

It wouldn’t be as optimized as the solo budget smiters all the guides talk about but would it be sufficient for this group of 4 I wonder?

I don’t want to make it a dedicated smiter because I want the farming ease of hammers on the first character.

Okay, so Smite at level 1 has a stun length of 0.6 seconds, or 15 frames (as in 60% of 25 frames, since D2 runs at 25 FPS)

Using this IAS calculator: https://d2.lc/IAS/

* set the class to Paladin
* set the primary weapon to a Phase Blade
* leave the weapon IAS and [other] IAS entries at zero
* set the skill to Smite
* set the Fanaticism level to zero
* click on "Show IAS table"

and you get this:

this means that it takes 9 frames to do one Smite when wielding a Phase Blade and no other modifiers, and since even a level 1 Smite is 15 frames long, then you can swing a second Smite before the first Smite's stun expires and therefore keep your one target "stun-locked", which is presumably all you want/need if you're playing with other players who will all the actual damage for you (budget solo smiters count on Crushing Blow to deal damage)

you can adjust the calculator as necessary for your gear and whether you're also going to shift to your one point of Fanaticism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to implement changes to the game post-release. Perhaps gated behind the ladder seasons.

Because they actually did do that with Warcraft 3, though that's also because that game is still being played competitively.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
movement and most directional casting/shooting/attacking feels very good, but inventory management has to be done like with a mouse via the analog sticks so that's gonna be slower and it's possible some of the more esoteric skills (summoning/teleport) haven't been tested yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

Can you use both controller and mouse? Like, out leveling and killing stuff I'm using controller, but I can then pick up items with my mouse. When I port back to town, I use mouse, then port back and resume using controller? It is seamless or do I need to go into a menu to toggle which I am using?

you can hot swap between controller and KVM, no menu change required

when I tried it there was a very obvious 2-3 second hitch whenever the game changed-over to the over control scheme, but that shouldn't be more than an annoyance if you're only using the mouse for inventory management in town and there's no time pressure