Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Maybe this patch will stimulate someone to restart an Eastern Sun server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I would be fine with starting again

Hell I was thinking of starting my own but resources on what to do are obvs hard to find because Blizz is still offended by private servers

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

very good

Path of Exile

Does not compute

I'll shoot him a message about even some basic info on how to start one

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jusupov posted:

It's up but it's only me and downtime.

HOLY poo poo PUT THE INFO UP

Also a refresher on how the h*ck to install

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Jusupov posted:

You know I mean the irc. Garfu said he gave es stuff to atleast three people so maybe someone can have a server up any month now

He gave it to me

I've been poking at it but it's

A Lot

I can probably eat the cost of hosting if I can get this poo poo running

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Star Man posted:

That's all I want, though. Something that will let the game be played in Windows 10 without a bunch of extra features or at least the ability to turn them off.

VirtualBox and install XP, I guess?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. Works great

Gonna have to dig out my disks and punch the serial into bnet for a download, I guess.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

A looong time ago I bought items on ebay and never had a problem

of course I am a giant idiot for letting the account expire but hey

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vakal posted:

Nope. I have two of the drat things and it wont let me scrap either of them.

You're missing an I .

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

mitztronic posted:

I forgot how long it can take them to patch sometimes

I, too, am horrified about the amount of effort put into keeping a 17 year old game running

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Star Man posted:

I too hate everything that came out after 9/11.

Thanks Bush Jr

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ugh I forgot the password on my account and the recovery email just isn't coming through

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Eastern Sun is extremely good but it just does not run on Windows 10, so beware. Hyper-V is kind of lovely with XP and it doesn't run in that either. No compatibility options work. You literally have to have a machine that boots into 7 to play it.

And that's sad

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ES needed a lot of fuckery to get to run in 10 but the most important thing is you can't install it over a 1.14 installation and have it work

I was having hell of time getting it to run because I was dumb and did that, I found the old goon install on a Windows 7 laptop and copied it over and it took some fuckery to get it to run properly but it will eventually run. That version is over a 1.10 installation.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I don't miss anything. The extra res and QOL changes honesty make it feel better than a lot of Indy RPG releases. It still had stuff like Gear With Negative Stats and doesn't hold your hand to find things, and bosses are really frigging hard.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sweet merciful Jesus I am so there

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

You beat them with very specific and expensive gear

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

Blizzard games generally had pretty sweet manuals, back when video games had proper manuals in the first place anyway, so yes I recommend you do just that. It's fun and (somewhat) educational!

Na it's going to be VERY out of date

I have the original LOD strategy guide and it's like a totally different game

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Garfu posted:

I got it to run by just downloading the launcher and installing it to a fresh D2 install directory.

I played it for about 5 minutes though until I realized the item customization was 1/100th of ES and ES4lyfe

yeh but :rip: ES

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Khorne posted:

Tal+Eth in armor is amazing for everyone.

Agreement box

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

never played the full game of D1 or D2 as I was university when D2 came out.

I don't understand

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The most important question though: does it support high rez D2?

E: Put some time in on this, wow it is a lot of fun, thanks

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 19, 2019

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Trying to get single player Eastern Sun running, but Diablo II.exe does nothing. I can run Vidtest no problem. Resurgence loads with no issue. To be sure, I also hosed the registry to point to the ES directory. It doesn't error or even save anything to the D*.txt log, it just never runs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mackers posted:

The funniest/most tragic thing is that they could basically do D2 with better graphics and modern QOL, release it as D4 and make millions and millions and millions, and then again with each expansion.

And they literally can't

E: this is the diablo 2 thread and I'm a dumbass

They cannot

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all they'd have to do to be better than PoE is zoom the camera out

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Grimdude posted:

This has always been a major complaint about D3 for me, among many. It seems to apply to every class so far too, but it feels like your hits and abilities aren't impactful. Some small exceptions of course, but like how every "auto attack" is just some ability you throw on to generate whatever resource you use. Melee feels like you're just swinging at the air and things die.

Like meleeing with a mace in D2 actually felt like you were bashing someone's skull in.

Idk, D3 is kinda fun but it just feels so shallow. Fancy lights and colors flashing at you while your killstreak goes up.

I actually could not agree less. D3 felt like you actually hit things and smashed faces and threw corpses around. D2 isn't *bad* by any metric but D3 felt more visceral.

I get not really liking the generator/spender aspect most classes use but also with most gear, builds find ways to get around that for 90% of builds. Hell my DH this season instantly got a "remove skill cost" quiver in the 30s.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 4, 2019

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Do you play without sound? The standard swinging and hitting soundscape is anemic in D3. Swinging that act 3 hammer around in D2 probably had the best sound design of any Diablo genre game I've played.

No? I just didn't find that D2 felt better.

THE BAR posted:

Throwing monsters around in D3 definitely felt good. In fact, they may have overdone it, as any kind of attack has the potential of hurling opponents' corpses across the screen. Saving it for your big attacks might've given them an even bigger impact.

D3's corpse throwing feels like it rapidly drops off as you level so I have no idea what physics metrics they used to determine the animations. It just feels weird in that regard, but given the divide between Big Hits and Smaller Hits (spenders vs generators, very roughly) they all seem to do relatively the same amount of destruction.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

high runes are farmed by opening one specific chest (sometimes 2 spawn) on lower kurast near the campfire that has like a 10,000x higher chance of dropping high runes. if you just do 10,000 lower kurast runes you'll get a few high runes.

here's a vid of a guy who did 10k kurast runs (0 bers, btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzUMPtxQNw

It sucks how much of d2 is locked behind needing high runes because vanilla d2 would be an almost perfect game without that poo poo

Is this something that is actually true or is it the same as "dying or TPing on Countess runs means you only get basic runes" level of bullshit?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ok, got it, thank you!

Its really cool that smart people are still figuring out parts of this game

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The only reason any high rune trade happened in D2 was the rampant duping, botting, and other exploits

The drop rates were completely unreasonable for normal players

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So what maphack are you using for us playing at home and does it work on Bnet, or is this solo?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Laslow posted:

D2MR. It will false positive as a virus, but I’ve been using it for like a decade with no problems. It’s no frills, but that keeps it from getting you banned. Also, be sure to run it as admin so it can find your game window. And only hit reveal when you’re in a game or it will crash your window.

Sweet, thank you

I think the advantages of a mh outweigh *maybe* getting some free gear if its not a spammer honeypot (is that still done? Games claiming free Sigon and then its just some bot spamming?)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's because some things in the game are exposed in the MPQ files and can be changed readily, while other stuff is buried in the game's executable and can't be changed short of getting the source code

I know blizz is very "we uh, love mods, and how it uh, extended the life of our game," but modding ability is very clearly an accident

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Diving into Blizzard's original game design is kind of like picking up a beetle and looking underneath

It is a brief glimpse into the insanity and desperation of an inexperienced god

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vakal posted:

The Path of Diablo servers reset today in case anyone is interested.

https://pathofdiablo.com/

I'm in

Is there a consolidated list of changes? I'm looking at the path notes but things change between versions of course.

e: oh I guess the Wiki works well enough

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2020

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ive been messing with Path of Diablo and while it's a mod there's way more familiar than non familiar

My only issue seems to be that realms restart every 30 minutes

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

If the kid is sleeping, that's plenty of time for you to set the server back up, I don't see the issue

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Get the Diablo 1 HD mod, it runs great on modern systems with no headaches https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download

You have to copy some files off the CD/installation media but it should tell you what to do on the site

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Olpainless posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the original assets for Diablo 2 may well no longer exist in this case, which probably also affects things pretty seriously.

It would be impossible for such a small indie company with their microscopic income to recreate 16 pixel sprites in the way that professional artists have been doing for a decade. Hell, can you image a free mod doing it?? Impossible and unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

How very coop