Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Decided to play this game again, this time as a physical damager as opposed to a safe class like a Necro or Sorc. So I made a Fanaticism Zealer Paladin to try and beat Hell from absolute zero. Currently level 50.

I'm getting my rear end kicked so hard in Nightmare, I'm starting to have some serious doubts if I'll make it through Hell. The things that get me the most are magic projectiles and goddamn lightning enchanted bosses, I have no problems with masses of melee attackers (thanks Holy Shield). Got lucky and found a Skin of the Vipermagi though.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Zogo posted:

What are your resistances? Try to stock up on resistance charms.

Thanks mostly to the Vipermagi unique I found, which grants 30 to all resists, I'm sitting around 50-60 ish on all of them. Even with that, I find myself getting wrecked pretty hard. I'll definitely keep an eye out for resistance charms though.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Vakal posted:

As a zealer you probably have extra skill points, so I would look at investing in the resist lightning aura for the passive increase to the max lightning resist cap. Getting to 90% should make LE bosses trivial.

Kind of, I guess? My build ends at around level 76 (20 Fanaticism, Zeal, Holy Shield, Sacrifice and prereqs), leaving me free to allocate as I see fit from then so it might be a little tight. I suppose I could delay Zeal a bit and invest some 10-ish points, maybe?, into it. I've also seen people suggest Redemption to level 5 ~ 8 as a quick "oh poo poo" heal button.

Vakal posted:

Also, making Ancient's Pledge (Ral + Ort + Tal) in a pally shield with natural +resist all should max you out easily.

This is good. I'm actually on the lookout for socketed shields as I also had the Rhyme (Shael + Eth) runeword in mind, haven't found any yet though.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Kazvall posted:

You can use the d2jsp forums for trading. It's so late in the season that poo poo is dirt cheap. That's unless you want to experience the grind by yourself.

Yeah, I hate myself so I'm going to avoid trading whenever possible. In other news, thanks game, I guess this solves my lightning problem.

e: Holy :lol:, I'm literally getting healed by Burning Souls.

Smoke_Max fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 7, 2015

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

If a monster's resistance to a given element is high enough then Conviction/Lower Resist can't drop it to below 100% and the monster remains immune. That absolutely is a thing, although to which extent (especially as pertains to fire) I don't remember.

To expand on this, if a monster is immune (i.e. 110 resistance for example) to something, skills like Lower Resist and Conviction work at only 1/5th of their value on it.

In this case, a Lower Resist curse with -40 all res would only cut 8 from the monster's immunity, leaving it at 102, i.e. still immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

What would you guys recommend as a melee character? I mostly play sorc, necro and trap assassin, so I wanna try something new. I know melee characters really struggle in hell, so what's one of the easier ones you guys think I should start with?