Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Is this the place to talk about other non-ES Diablo II mods?

As this month is an exciting time, 2 big mod updates

First off is Aftermath a hard yet balanced mod that seeks to make all areas of the game interesting and tries to force gear changes in response to areas you're going to. It got updated to 3.0 (and now 3.0.3).

Next is Median XL which is finally getting another new release.
Big changes to Median XL include
* In-Game NPCs will reveal maps (no need for maphack)
* No more corpses, no dropping items on death
* Auto-gold pickup :siren:
* Damage/Health cap removal
* Speed rework (both attack/cast) of many item types

Though the median XL one isn't out for a week.

I'm just super excited that Diablo II mods are still kicking around with updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've never tried median XL but it sounds cool except reallllly loving complex to the point of convolution. Am I wrong and it just seems really daunting at first ?

Uh yes and no it does layer a lot of poo poo on top.
So while it can be daunting you can pick up most things very quickly. Then the last bit is where it gets weird and annoying interactions with the ubers and challenges again.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

If you are playing on battle.net, make a new passworded game, sit in it for 5? (or was it 10 minutes) to make it slightly perm. Drop items, logonto mule, pick up items.

Welcome to the lovely hell that is muling!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Garfu posted:

I got it to run by just downloading the launcher and installing it to a fresh D2 install directory.

I played it for about 5 minutes though until I realized the item customization was 1/100th of ES and ES4lyfe

thats the reason I like it, the insanity of crafting items is not why I play these games I'd rather rely on RNG to get good drops (or some recipes to help correct RNG), not full crafting of gear. The inventory management is some of the worst aspects of these types of games for me. It offers some interesting content especially once you start getting into ubers especially this release which was finally able to remove the invuln shields that were previously used.

Having new skills (separated into 6 distinct sets of 5 per character) definitely draws me in to. My current character is a SpearZon who uses a Phys -> Magic skill which releases weird rear end spirit vultures from an enemy I hit with it. I also use blood orbs dropped by another skill to heal and can run over orbs dropped by my main skill to gain fury which gives my skill a AoE boost.

It also has a decently straightforward path to upgrade with the tiered unique system. Once you get near the end game there is also crafting if you are inclined to create more specific gear.

downsides are, no stockers and it does have some of the inventory management issues all modded D2 uses.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Guys I have a problem that apparently 80k other people have, where I keep listening to the Diablo II OST. It's so loving good.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

These changes look cool, but it's a drat shame they haven't fixed summon necro or completely revamped holy caster paladin.

Summon necro is currently usable but boring/weak, but holy caster paladins are just awful: they can't even cast their spells unless they have a certain buff up. This buff lasts 10 seconds, so you're constantly recasting it to even do anything. It's just pointless busywork made worse by the fact that, while D2 is awesome and eternal, the skill interface is super clunky compared to PoE or Grim Dawn.

If you're talking about the innate skill everyone has, that rises in duration as you level. Otherwise I'm not entirely sure what buff you're talking about.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Forb makes a really good sound tho and looks cool as heck

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Where are the good sources of information for Median XL?

Im reading the bowzon guide on their forum and theres quite a lot of unexplained info.

E.g. it states to craft a reflex bow. When googling median xl crafting there is a cube recipe list but no mention of crafting items (crafted items are items with orange text right?)

In the milestones section it states
"Get Cain armor and all the early game runewords in act1.
"el" armor | "nef" staff | "eth" belt | "ith" boots | "ral" helm | "tal" reflex bow (gamble bow base at lvl 17 → oil of renewal → jewel for socket)."

What is "Cain armor"?
Why should i get cain armor if i should also get "("el" armor)" ?
Why would i want a nef staff if i am a bowzon?
Are all these runewords, e.g. i need a grey item, or do i put these runes in any item with a socket?

Cain armour is likely referring to the stuff Griswold drops in Tristram.

Runewords are made by filling up all but the last socket with jewels then dropping the Rune into the white socketed base.

The median xl doc page has a cube recipes section that is very good to have

https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/cube

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 19, 2020

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

So you don't like playing d2 you just like programming

It's more problem solving imo

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

That's mainly what I'm afraid of - they are saying they won't fix some bugs which community has managed to live with, but there are serious design (or, at the very least, documentation) flaws in Diablo 2, and treating D2R as the game everyone already knows and have played is a mistake, imo. Besides, the original original Diablo 2 didn't have respecs and runes, right? Runes especially are things people really seek in their games, and I'm very grateful for the ability to respec, even if limited - and I'm sure those were criticized at the beginning, since they invalidate "decisions", which is something the Diablo 2 players really want to be able to make (and things MrLlama really underlined in his video about D2R and it's changes. Kinda funny one, since the ability to play on consoles with the controller was a "meh, I guess it's nice" change;)

I think this trying to please old players with little change and simultaneously trying to attract new one will result in some really weird design clashes - and also, the same community made mods to fix bugs, balance abilities and expand inventory, so those can't be so accepted as to be indispensible.

I wonder how quickly the mod to change Amazon's face will surface, too:p

So far aside from gold auto pickup VV really hasn't done anything gameplay altering. I'm not surprised i would think D2R is going to be very much current D2 with a new graphical layer and perhaps they try and change things in additional patches down the line

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Did they ever clarify if you would still be able to create/run mods or did that die at some point?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

to be expected, but after 20 years D2 LOD doesn't have the draw it used to even with a new coat of paint.

So far modding from the beta seems to be mostly texture replacements. I'm curious what it'll look like post release

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I dunno how i feel about those but i also had the d2 ost as my most listened to album last year in spotify...

Are these included with the remaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Artelier posted:

Originally asked in the Steam thread, but asking here since I figure I'll get a better response:

I just found out that Diablo 2 (og) has some really well regarded mods, Median XL and Path of Diablo. Will either of them fulfill my "constant drip feed of power" fantasy, the way Chronicon does with its abundance of items and easy respecs?

Normally for mods I'd actually just try them out straight but I don't own Diablo 2 currently so thought I'd ask here.

Planning to play solo and mostly blind, if that makes a difference. Don't think I'll be ramping it up to Hell or whatever top difficulty there is, just want to take skills that sound cool and get to work wreckin'
If you do okay MXL the game is pretty straightforward just make use of the cube recipes as it absolutely assumes you will be and youll blast thru to the end of nightmare. Also grab a merc as they are improved in MXL. I will also note there is a level gated challenge that you can still complete after level 50 but requires resources as a penalty.

pyromance posted:

MXL has free respecs up to level 50 and there's a pretty steady stream of new content as you level up, but I think some of it could be pretty difficult to do blind once you get to ~110-115 (probably some of it before then even).

Afaik its now the 3 den of evil quests plus the "belladonna potion" which is a rare drop but not too rare and farmable with a character far enough.