Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So it sounds like this game isn't going to have any kind of ladder? Still probably going to pick up eventually just to relive some of my fondest gaming memories but man that's a bummer, basically kills a huge chunk of the replay value. Why did it get axed in the first place - it can't possibly be that hard to implement something that was already in the original and also in every other game Blizzard makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Honestly I expect it will have a ladder cuz that's clearly one of the like 3 things they need for the game to not flop and even speaking as a cynic I don't think they'd be that dumb. But every day it is not in after release is like a 50% lower chance it ever gets a ladder.

That said, latest thing I've heard officially is no ladder on release, plans for one to be announced after release/ "soon"

Ah ok, really weird that they need extra time to implement it but that's better than nothing. I guess I'll do a slow casual playthrough to get my nostalgia fix and then hopefully by the time I'm done we'll have ladder functionality.

But yeah that doesn't really bode well in terms of post-launch support lol. Not gonna keep my fingers crossed, but as you said it would be extremely dumb not to add it.

edit: v - that makes sense!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I mean Diablo 4 is realistically probably at least 2 or 3 years away, likely more, so I doubt D2:R would be competing with it in any real sense even if they did add new content eventually. They're still updating WoW Classic and that doesn't seem to be eating into their regular WoW market, and hell there's an entire generation of gamers now who never played D2 back in the day and have zero nostalgia for it. Wouldn't surprise me if this remaster gets a huge surge of initial players and then rapidly cools off to a playerbase similar to D3 once everyone gets their fix (much less if they actually don't add ladders pretty quickly after launch).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huh, I thought I'd be able to wake up tomorrow to find out if the remaster turned out good or not from people that binged through it overnight but apparently it doesn't launch until like 10 am tomorrow. I thought midnight releases were basically the norm now.