Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I'm so stoked for D2R, I started playing D2 single player again. Tried PlugY, with stash featured disabled so I could keep using my GoMule 5,000+ item stash from 10+ years of play. Would recommend, it's fun to gear up a new character with random poo poo I've packratted. Also did the Uber Diablo / Uber Tristram events for the first time ever, not that much "fun" but it's neat to progress my characters a little more than I ever did before.

More than anything, I'm excited for the world to pay attention to D2 again later this year. It'll be a nostalgic treat to see forums, guides, streams, etc. filling up with D2 content.

Star Man posted:

I really am curious about what they're going to do about the rarity of items and trading. I'm not cynical enough to think that an auction house is going to arise, but I do wonder if they're going to make things like high runes and items of a similar rarity easier to find.

If they can keep a lid on botting, the bnet economy will be unrecognizable. The single player community has to do absurd things like cheese chest drop seeds in LK to have anything like a reasonable rate of high run discovery.

If we get more security and no drop rate increase, that game would still be fun. I love D2 because it's just as awesome decked out in silly runewords or scraping by with random self found stuff and exploiting every game mechanic to crawl through hell.

Very curious how the meta gets shaken up. Even little thinks like auto gold pickup will move the needle. I rarely I pick up gold while doing gotta-go-fast runs, having it auto-vac will make gold have a different vibe unless they also reduce its drop rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ok fair... but modern battle.net has to be better than whatever anti-botting D2 currently has, right?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This thread inspired me to write a single player Pindleskin bot. I'm torn between making it as good as possible, and leaving it janky so it doesn't totally ruin the fun of finding items.

gently caress this game is good.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cerepol posted:

It's more problem solving imo

Yep, just another set of fun things to optimize. And single player is a harmless playground.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Playing 2 again rubs salt in the wound that was 3.

3 is so... polished and samey. I love that items and elements have a janky FEEL to them in 2.

Unlimited remaps, all damage based on weapon DPS, all elements more or less the same, mainstat powering everything, resists not being capped, it's just so far from the mechanics that gave D2 such a great feel.

To say nothing of the art and atmosphere.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Really enjoyed watching the streams. MrLlamaSC is a great streamer, and he seems to be enjoying it. Love the new graphics and no surprising hiccups (given that it's still in alpha) or awful aesthetic choices.

Fire skills look great, lightning skills look good, cold are hit or miss. Really excited to see more, would love to get an invite tomorrow but I bet the odds are long...

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I wrote a single player bot to open LK chests. It came out to something like ~10-15 hours of runs per Sur+ rune. So at max efficiency just clicking LK chests in single player you're probably looking at 40+ hours to get Jah and Ber for Enigma.

Runes are kinda stupidly rare. If the drop rate is balanced at all, it's for multiplayer, trading, and botting.

And LK runs eclipse anything else for high runes over time, the single player nerds have done the math over the years. Any other method will be slower, and LK runs are only feasible single player.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Open beta runs well and looks incredible. I am so stoked for D2R.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Is there another thread for D2R? I'm surprised this one isn't more popping with the beta live.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

So what class will people start D2R with?

Sorc for teleport is the obvious choice. I'm practicing the "try hard" nova/static build for normal, and having more fun with it than I expected given all the potion chugging.

I'm seriously tempted by an elemental druid though. I played through Act 2 with fissure during the open beta and it was really fun, respeccing to wind would be great, but then no teleport... it's just hard to pass on starting with a sorc.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the explanation. Feels like Necro that is focused on poison NEEDS points in bone spells just in case.

More commonly, rely on summons + merc + corpse explosion. Corpse explosion is the actual killer and main DPS source for most necro builds.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

In this same vein, as I am a D2 idiot, how would a sorc deal with mitigating monster resistances, as they don't have curses/etc.? Can you get reduce resistances on gear? Or do i need something that has charges of that skill to use?

Charges are far too weak. Sorcs that specialize in one element basically can't solo the game on Hell difficulty. So most sorcs either go dual element for the play through (often fire + cold), or else rely on party play. The merc can get some kills, and of course you can just teleport past some packs.

After completing quests and beating the game, specializing in one element can be fine because you just farm areas of the game where that element can shine.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Khorne posted:

It's technically an easy fix, but it's far more likely they'll fix it and it will be a huge spiral of unintended side effects.

Yeah, I'm sure somebody made the Jira ticket about it, probably early in the process. Then a bunch of engineers exchanged horrified looks when they estimated how long it would take to fix + QA + not burn down anything else in the process. Then it got sidelined in favor of working on launch stability (reasonable!).

Their attempt at a face-saving reply is dumb and horrible, but I'm not surprised this wasn't on their punch list. Stuff like the ethereal armor re-rolling was probably much more straightforward, like, you can find that one line of code and be highly confident in the fix vs. wading into interconnected tangles of 20+ year old code.

Just don't try to tell us fixing ebugged armors was somehow PURE AND GOOD while fixing the next hit missing bug would sully the artistic integrity of the remaster.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hopefully they have better/more servers for release than they did for the beta.

FWIW, I mostly played the beta on the 2nd Sunday in the open beta, and noticed minimal rubberbanding. East coast US.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rolled a new sorc to practice MFing for D2R's release. Solo self found through hell, respecced to blizzard, and started hitting Pindleskin hard.

Found this in the first hour, first I've ever seen:

quote:

Death's Fathom

+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+29% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
Fire Resist +30%

Oh how I love this game.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Zeal rules, but Holy Fire is actually mych stronger for normal, if you're willing to burn a respec to change later.

Then Holy Freeze may even be more newbie friendly for nm/hell than Fanatacism. Lots of safety from the slowing effect, less dependent on finding/making/trading into a strong weapon, and if you keep going in hell you'll have two damage types.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WW barb is pretty brutal for a new player's first character though. Very item dependent, and the good/easy items require knowledge of weapon bases, socketing, and runewords.

Probably the most newbie-friendly build is a fissure druid. Just put points in firestorm, then fissure. Grab a wolf or a spirit if you want. Cruises through mid-nightmare without gear or independent thought required.

Some info: https://d2.maxroll.gg/guides/druid-leveling

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

IIRC the event works currently per game server, and game servers include ladder and non-ladder, so there was always a huge source of old, duped, gambled SoJs.

Will be interesting how willing people are willing to part with them in the fresh economy, especially since they will be quite valuable.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Coolspaz posted:

I really hope they find a way to stop/break/ban bots - they ruined the original game

They won't.

If anything, it will be the worst they've ever been. Bunch of older folks returning to the game with more money than time... I bet demand for items is huge, lots of incentive to bot.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

queeb posted:

What's a good class/build to go from 0 to clearing hell and farming gear? I never played much d2 but ima go ham for a bit when this is out.

There is exactly one correct answer: Sorceress.

Fire in normal. Respec to cold in nightmare. Farm NM mephisto, blitz hell, respec blizzard, farm Ancient Tunnels. Mephisto, and Pindle.

Any other choice will be less efficient, probably by at least an order of magnitude.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

MrSargent posted:

Sorceress is for sure faster at farming end game but I always found her to be harder to get through Hell on the first play-through. I think Hammerdin is definitely a solid option.

For a more casual start to a fresh economy, sure. If you know what you're doing and want to go HAM though, the sorc is farming hell meph/pindle before the hammerdin is out of nightmare, then doing MF runs multiple times faster.

Teleport is just going to make you see waaaaaaaaaay more items, waaaaaay more quickly, if you're looking to grind the early release economy.

Hammerdin is a fun and smooth playthrough, don't get me wrong! But if you want to go all out, it's the wrong day 1 choice.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

So since the next attack bug is still there and presumably never going to be fixed, does that mean we just use something else? Is Sacrifice a viable primary attack?

Zeal is still extremely strong, even with the bug. Paladin has great blocking and you'll probably be swinging fast with a phase blade.

People definitely still make builds based around Fury, to (Druids and Wolf Barbs).

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

How do people feel about d2jsp? The forum gold system seems scummy, but if it's where all the active traders are, maybe a necessary evil for flipping loot in the new economy?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

jerman999 posted:

Apparently this is a new trading platform: https://diablo2.io/

I've seen a ton of sites and discords pop up trying to be The Next Thing for D2 trading, will be curious to see what sticks.

Getting a little trade/character API support ala PoE for D2R would have been cool.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

They released the PC install today on battle.net, all dudes and dudettes have access to them if they feel like digging through the downloaded files.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

chaosapiant posted:

Can’t decide which class I wanna start with. What’s a good “starter” build that won’t require super rare drops to perform? I’m leaning toward Necromancer.

Summon necromancer (Skeleton Warrior/Mastery, Corpse Explosion, Amplify Damage) is probably the least gear-dependant "watch me walk through hell baal" class. Very fun, but very slow, and will absolutely hate the sand maggot lair on each difficulty. Make sure you have decrepify for Diablo in Normal or are happy doing that in a party, too. Buy a staff with teleport charges in act 3 normal, preferably before you're level 24 (staff will require level 24 and so will be red/unusable in the vendor screen if you're less than 24, making it quick to find).

If you know what you're doing, nothing will top the speed of a sorceress. $ColdSkill + 5ish points in firewall and mastery can clear hell baal in some small fraction of the time any other character can solo due to teleport. Or meteorb, or blizzball, whatever. You'll die some and otherwise just chuckle as you teleport past your problems.

Hammerdin is pretty great too, since spirit sword + spirit shield are cheap and easy and provide tons of stats that you need. Few immunes give you pause in hell, and yeah you wish you had enigma, but you're still going to make it through the game. Biggest "gotcha" are the magic immune mummies in the 2nd wave before baal.

Honorable mentions for trap assassin, fire druid for normal into wind druid mid-nightmare, and lightning fury javazon.

Barbarian is just extremely gear dependent.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

dbrunski125 and mrllamasc have recently uploaded some pretty good D2R new character content, if you can get past the youtube-face thumbnails:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Dbrunski125/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrLlamaSC/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Extra credit for supporting people that just happened to play D2 (semi)professionally for decades and then were in the right place at the right time for the remaster.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Any idea when the review embargo ends? There was enough (open) beta access that I doubt there are many surprises, but I'm curious if reviewers got more feature-complete copies of the game and cover changes we haven't seen discussed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cool video making a compelling case for starting with an Assassin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRt_BGEYcI

I did practice runs with both that and sorc and enjoyed sorc more, but I definitely see the appeal.