Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My brother in law convinced me to get this for Xbox. He never really played D2, but I sure as hell did.

I think for games with him I'm gonna roll a conviction / vengeance paladin for support, or if he wants to do a melee class maybe a Necro because amp damage is OP.

Or just another paladin with either conviction or fanat. I kind of hate all their melee skills but auras are good and coop is where this is at and everyone likes a good coop paladin.

Actually melee skills in D2 in general feel terrible in the modern era imo. Zeal is Fury. Nothing does much AoE except WW. This does not include assassin skills, which I always thought were a ton of fun, especially Phoenix Strike.

For my own non support character I may do an elemental druid, I really enjoyed the fx of those skills in the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Wait what? No ladders? Lmao jeez

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What's the best hardcore duo build? Does anything work really well together?

I feel like either a paladin or a Necro or a druid with whatever dps class you choose.

Necros probably the best. Lots of tanks and curses are so good. But druid can do tanks and HP with the oak spirit

For pure damage sorc / paladin probably. But doesn't really do much for survival.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I think the sheer amount of asset creation that went into completely revamping the look of a previously sprite based game tells me they're open to doing more and cooler poo poo with it in the future. Although it does raise questions about blizzard competing with itself in regards to diablo 4. Alternately, make cool diablo 2 poo poo and be comfortable making d4 a 2024/5 release or whatever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Glad waffle was not forced to delay their birthday bc of the pandemic. Cheers!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Loot is not instanced. I think they did fix duriel, right? I didn't play act 2 in the beta.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Worst I had was got scammed out of a bartuc claw they swapped with something else during trade and I didn't check it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Huh. I never knew that. Seems like a good way to farm low level uniques in NM and Hell.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

rap music posted:

Is this the thread for resurrected? Never played D2 and want some hot tips

I think it will be, unless they want to have a regular games thread as opposed to retro.

Some random tips-

Partying is super fun and good for experience, just know that loot is shared across all players so stuff gets yoinked.

You get a single respec through a quest in act 1 - one for each difficulty (normal/nightmare/hell). So don't use it right away and think it's something you can keep doing. You can technically get more via getting some endgame drops but this isn't realistic at the beginning of the game.

The music is super good you should listen to it at least once before you turn on other fun tunes.

Higher level belts can hold more potions. Use potions. It's a potion game for sure.

Most stuff can scrap their way through normal difficulty, I'd just gently caress around with whatever class and skills look cool and then if you want to keep going, Respec for nightmare.

Cool starting classes imo would be Necro, druid, sorceress, or barbarian

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Imbues are also fun to throw at random circlets because they can roll some really weird stuff.

Some other oddities that just popped into my head about D2:.

1. Only physical damage can leech life or mana. Spells don't leech at all.

2. I'm fairly certain that elemental damage is not multiplied by any enhanced damage your skill is providing. Only physical. For example if you've got a high level zeal, but you've got a lot of elemental damage on your weapon, you might do the same amount of damage with a lower level zeal.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that one, it's been a long time.

3. It's mentioned earlier in the thread but toggling run instead of walking will make your defense (essentially chance to hit, not like damage reduction) go to poo poo while you're moving. Usually this can be ignored unless you're playing hardcore or if you're in a particularly tough encounter. It's a dumb mechanic.

4. Monsters in hell have some level of physical resistance as well as leech resistance. Also most monsters have some types of immunity, and unique monsters can have multiple immunities. The Necro curse decrepify can break phys immunities. For elemental you need someone with a conviction aura (or a really expensive endgame runeword on your mercenary), or Necro curse lower resist. You can buy items that have charges of lower resist! Keep an eye out for them! They're likely going to be very expensive but other than gambling the game doesn't really have much of a money sink.

5. You're not going to get like PoE style millions of dps builds. Iirc if you can be doing 1-4k damage you're probably fine. Some builds that hit fast or do other fancy poo poo will probably be fine lower.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

In retrospect, "twinking" makes zero sense and...how the hell did it get that meaning anyway? It can't be just a diablo thing right?

Also it's been super weird googling old builds and finding forum posts from the mid 2000s just rife with uh, language that would not be tolerated anymore.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Anyone seen any screenshots or gameplay or anything at all from after act 2?

This is from when they had the first beta and it got cracked. Not sure how representative of the final product it is.

https://youtu.be/1WMviPqwLZo

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

There are so many weird quirks in this dumb game. I was reading about spirit of barbs today and apparently it really only gives 50% effectiveness at all levels. So it's basically worse than a level six thorns at level 20.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

It's good with controller but stuff like inventory management isn't as smooth as with D3

It's worth it imo. Skills and movement felt great on Xbox!

I can imagine teleport being not as exciting, though. And single target melee skills.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Unless you’re trying to summon an iron golem off a specific piece of equipment in a crowded area I really can’t picture summoning being an issue

Oh Jesus, I didn't even think about this one.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Is anyone able to play on Xbox right now? I can't make a game or join one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Path of Diablo is most fun in an online context imo, it's got a really delightful community in my experience. Single player would probably be meh, I reckon Median XL has a lot more interesting changes to explore.