Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The first episode certainly got me interested. Everyone, including the guys, seems to be wearing too much mascara, which is... not bad exactly (or, at least, not a significant problem), just odd. The mech designs are cool, though I hope they don't let the premise of the show get in the way of well-lit fights too much. We watch mecha for the spectacle, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

It does seem to me that...lighting is a very serious problem in shows with CG nowadays. It happened with Majestic Prince, Symphogear, Valvrave, Buddy Complex, and a few more I can't remember. Occasionally things just get much dimmer than they ought to be and it's somewhat jarring.

I was thinking more of the fact that they appear to be fighting against a hell-dimension of eternal darkness. Which, regrettably and predictably, appears to make for very dark fights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess we just met our MC mecha, then. Totally getting flashbacks to Heero and the Wing Zero here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Anime as heck goofiness too.

No poo poo that a dude who was horribly mangled was afraid when he died. You don't need to taste his blood to figure that out!

Honestly, I can see a few other ways that might have gone. Surprise or anger, for a start, depending on how long he took to die. Crippling holyshit existential terror would stand out as notable for a trained soldier who's (presumably) used to the weird stuff that comes out of the Darkness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Was he even a soldier? He seemed more like a glorified gym teacher than anything else.

Well, they were charging him with combat instruction, so I'd assume he's as much a soldier as whatever they're trying to turn the kids into.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

So. This show started out pretty loving stupid. And it's still pretty loving stupid. And it's probably the ugliest show airing this season. But somehow. After the third episode. I think. I am... enjoying... it? :psyduck:

Comically evil scientist guy needs to go, though. Like, this isn't even "cruel but effective"- he's no good to you if you break him.

There does seem to be a method to his madness, even if he's way too enthusiastic - the idea with the Argent seems to be that you're supposed to accept it and let it into your head without being overwhelmed by it - serial-killer guy had a problem with the second bit, and our protagonist isn't doing well enough at the first.

I did like how the entire cast went 'Yeah, bullshit' when they were given their latest unconvincing cover-story about what they're supposed to be doing, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, she's throwing up death-flags like there's no tomorrow, but she's honestly my favourite member of the cast. She just has so much more personality than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The plot's taken a pretty goddamned cruel turn, though. First Emiru gets infected by the Lightless Realm, then it turns out she's got a special mindlink with Heito the gibbering psychopath, then Heito finds out about her infection and decides she'll be his personal emotional torture-doll, isolating her from the rest of the team until she turns into an Admonition and dies from her injuries. Then she comes back... as Heito's shiny new mindlinked mecha. Christ.

• Locked thread