Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

gently caress it, I vote we keep the thread open for as long the anime lasts but repurpose it to invent ways of killing Satou's beloved Mary Sue. How about lava, has anyone tried that? I assume he'd regenerate but he'd still be IN the lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Cake Attack posted:

I think 2000 is the magic number to be considered successful, so yeah, it's good.

Also lol at the fact that selling 2000 copies is considered a success in the anime industry.

I think 2000 is the break-even "we'll consider making more" number. But yeah its 2000 bluray copies usually, that have like 2 episodes a piece, and they would have to be pants on head retarded not to continue bank rolling it for the cash, unless one of them poo poo cans it because he realises how awful it is He likes money more

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I figured the Japanese market would eat this poo poo up. At least it's not in the same league as Makoda, Bakemonogatari, and Love Live by a long shot.

darkgray posted:

So, well. Love Live s2 BD vol 1 sold 82,119 copies in the first week. That makes it the best selling anime ever, pretty much. It's got Bakemonogatari beat by 10k, and outsold Madoka by about 30%.

I hate this world.

Eat it Satou. Your Japanese jingoism can't beat moe. :japan:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think 2000 is the break-even "we'll consider making more" number. But yeah its 2000 bluray copies usually, that have like 2 episodes a piece, and they would have to be pants on head retarded not to continue bank rolling it for the cash, unless one of them poo poo cans it because he realises how awful it is He likes money more

I thought if the publisher feels novel sales are satisfactory they won't bother greenlighting another season. It's why Spice and Wolf and Haruhi don't have a Season 3.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Dreamsicle posted:

I thought if the publisher feels novel sales are satisfactory they won't bother greenlighting another season. It's why Spice and Wolf and Haruhi don't have a Season 3.

That depends I think IIRC Chihayafuru tanked on BD sales but it sold enough Manga to make up for it and it greenlit season 2

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

That depends I think IIRC Chihayafuru tanked on BD sales but it sold enough Manga to make up for it and it greenlit season 2

No, some executive at the TV station really liked Chihayafuru and green lit another season. I dont think that would happen with this unless there is an jingoist Ayn Rand fan in one of the committees.

A recent example of a series getting an almost immediate second season announced despite not really selling all that many BD or having good ratings was Build Fighters. It pushed an insane number of toys, so the executives at bandai didnt think twice about trying to milk it further. It helped that all their other attempts to try to sell toys recently failed miserably.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, some executive at the TV station really liked Chihayafuru and green lit another season. I dont think that would happen with this unless there is an jingoist Ayn Rand fan in one of the committees.

A recent example of a series getting an almost immediate second season announced despite not really selling all that many BD or having good ratings was Build Fighters. It pushed an insane number of toys, so the executives at bandai didnt think twice about trying to milk it further. It helped that all their other attempts to try to sell toys recently failed miserably.

Wait, didn't Gundam Unicorn sold like hot cakes? Or was that DVD / BD only?

Regarding the possible ways to kill Tatsueya, has anyone tried to take the old-school zombie approach of removing the head by decapitation / destroying the brain?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

What about plain old disintegration?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Cast a spell to allow him to feel again so he commits suicide due to disgust of his sister.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Covered in molten gold and dropped to the bottom of a lake, the Ninja Scroll ending works for any invincible character.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Can we fire him into the sun? I mean... Hm.
If we drug him somehow... does his regeneration counter that? Is there anything we can do to shut that off?

Ooh! Lure him into an airtight room and replace the atmosphere with pure nitrogen!
It wouldn't trigger the suffocation reflex because that only happens when your body is getting excess CO2, so hopefully he'd just slip into euphoria and unconsciousness without his auto-defences triggering. Once that's happened, even if his magic can keep him alive, it probably still can't let him actually function.

Then we just seal him up in a box with no oxygen and shoot the whole thing into space!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tatsuya would see through any attempt tricking him. Nuke the entire school from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Can we fire him into the sun? I mean... Hm.
If we drug him somehow... does his regeneration counter that? Is there anything we can do to shut that off?

Ooh! Lure him into an airtight room and replace the atmosphere with pure nitrogen!
It wouldn't trigger the suffocation reflex because that only happens when your body is getting excess CO2, so hopefully he'd just slip into euphoria and unconsciousness without his auto-defences triggering. Once that's happened, even if his magic can keep him alive, it probably still can't let him actually function.

Then we just seal him up in a box with no oxygen and shoot the whole thing into space!

He would probably just magically keep his brain alive and manage to develop personal teleportation to get out of the box then.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

How about we just make him fight someone else who never loses to the death? I nominate John Cena.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Just sic Squirrel Girl on him.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Does he even have a weakness? I mean, he pretty much can reset his state from last healthy state. Throw him into lava and he'll just constant load state while slowly crawling out. Asphyxiation wouldn't work either as he'd just load state of when he was not suffocating. Attempting to one-shot him was already proven to be impossible thanks to his sister accidentally killing him or something, that scene was pretty confusing. I think the only way to reliably kill him is to eliminate him entirely from the space-time continuum. Barring that, perhaps launching him into a black hole so he's trapped within the the event horizon would probably be a safe second bet as far as getting him out of the way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think the best way to deal with him would be some sort of industrial press. Tie him up inside of it, and then have it repeatedly smash his head every other second or so. He needs his brain to do magic other than regeneration, so if his brain was always nonexistent (you know, like Satou's), he wouldn't be able to escape. Another benefit is that his smug loving face gets eternally pounded into mush without ever giving him a chance to talk.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sounds to me like some people want to eat a disintegration ray to the face

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

You could always pull a Terminator and go back in time to kill his mother before he's ever conceived. But then of course Tatsuya would figure out the assassin's dastardly plan so he invents his own superior version of time travel and goes back in time to chase after and kills the assassin who is more than likely Chinese. In the process of all that, he meet his mother, seduces her with his "charm", impregnates her as he becomes his own father, kills a whole bunch more evil Chinese dudes for whatever inane reason, yada yada yada... :geno:

It's not Mahouka without incest and genocide. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Considering the origin story, just saving his mother from the evil Chinese would be enough to prevent Tatsuya's existence. Miyuki would probably be dead, but that's not a bad thing.
Did anyone ever mention how exactly she died and how The Life-sewing Alchemist Tatsuya brought her back?

Also, I vote for a gentleman's agreement not to use spoiler tags in this thread anymore because the story is loving stupid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've tried blank everything I've read from the Wheel of Time series out of my head, but didn't balefire erase people from ever having existed? That could work.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Considering the origin story, just saving his mother from the evil Chinese would be enough to prevent Tatsuya's existence. Miyuki would probably be dead, but that's not a bad thing.
Did anyone ever mention how exactly she died and how The Life-sewing Alchemist Tatsuya brought her back?

Also, I vote for a gentleman's agreement not to use spoiler tags in this thread anymore because the story is loving stupid.

Miyuki got shot by a bunch of half-japanese JSDF soldiers who turned traitor because they were treated like poo poo because of their race. I don't think his mother actually died in that incident? Their babysitter/mother's bodyguard who was a clone of their mother died protecting Tatsuya while he nuked the Chinese during that time period.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode starts with magic cops rushing to stop illegal aliens from dirtying the shores of Japan with their foreign corruption. Said magic cops then completely destroy the group of heavily armed non magic soldiers. They then proceed to blow the gently caress out of the ship going “Oh well, it’s the captain’s fault the ship is here. Too bad whatever happens to anyone on it”

Now it’s back to the school, boring dialogue leads to some indication that Tatsuya is going to create sustaining nuclear fusion magic devices that operate independently. I feel like every single LN/chapter or whatever the author was so desperate to show how amazing his main character is that he just constantly rewrites the laws of magic/physics at a whim to fit his story narrative.

Cut to another group of people and boring talking, Tatsuya is being recruited for the Thesis Competition (magic science fair?) and he seems surprised, but the characters present go out of their way to explain how perfect he is for it and how only he could succeed at it.

The core group of Tatsuya’s social circle is amazed that he’s been picked, and rave about how much of an honor it is, and that the winner gets published in the prestigious journal Super-Nature. Tatsuya mentions his gravity/fusion unsolvable problem idea and everyone nods and agrees he’ll solve a great magic mystery in days and have it ready for the science fair in a week.

Tatsuya and sis return home, we get creepy poo poo where he tells her to change before dinner and she offers to wear anything he asks her to. Anything.

Some scowling woman appears in their home, tells Tatsuya to drop out and use his talents in the research facilities, he refuses because he is the best option to protect his sister. Casually mentions his flying devices have caused a 20% in the companies’ profits.

OOPTs parts, something called relics, and the once we see is the “magatama”. Funny enough, the specific magatama she gives to Tatsuya is capable of doing the exact thing he is trying to figure out for his fusion engine. He refuses, scowling woman gets angry, takes relic and storms off.

Poorly animated CGI car chase, looks like the evil foreigners are trying to abduct someone. Tatsyua arrives like Batman and handily beats them. AND THEY SPEAK IN ENGLISH! AMERICA IS UP TO NO GOOD! Tatsuya then gets shot in the heart and recovers instantly. In 2 seconds, he mentally retraces the path of the bullet from across the city (1 km) and then shoots the sniper with his dissolving magic.

Tatsuya returns home, and his sister serves him tea while wearing a new “beautiful” cooking outfit, Tatsuya compliments her with saying “You look so good I’d like to keep you behind glass and displayed just for me” Even his sister thinks that is weird.

More talk about how impossible and ludicrous is would be to trying and replicate the relic, Tatsuya agrees, but plans to figure it out anyways.

We cut back to the foreigners; they work for the Great Asian Alliance (dirty Chinese and Koreans I guess) and plan to steal the relic to make the Alliance much more powerful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SorcerousHam posted:

Miyuki got shot by a bunch of half-japanese JSDF soldiers who turned traitor because they were treated like poo poo because of their race. I don't think his mother actually died in that incident? Their babysitter/mother's bodyguard who was a clone of their mother died protecting Tatsuya while he nuked the Chinese during that time period.

She wasn't a clone of anyone, just a person they made in a lab with stored genetic material. She was essentially the only mother either of them ever knew (though the actual books phrased it as 'big sister'), since their birth mother was an invalid nutjob. Let me repeat that- a lab-bred human who was raised solely to serve as a disposable bodyguard was the only nice person either of the two knew as children. I'm just going to assume that everyone else they interacted with were some of the many weirdly influential butlers running around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Tatsuya returns home, and his sister serves him tea while wearing a new “beautiful” cooking outfit, Tatsuya compliments her with saying “You look so good I’d like to keep you behind glass and displayed just for me” Even his sister thinks that is weird.

Someone needs to use this as a pick-up line in real life and report back with the results.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Someone needs to use this as a pick-up line in real life and report back with the results.

Dude, you aren't using that already?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Did they skip the filler?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I believe that by far, this thread is more entertaining than either the light novels or the anime.

Chuck Norris could kill Tatsuya.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Can Chuck Norris kill Chuck Norris? Because that's what we're dealing here: genuine Chuck Norris vs. Japanese Chuck Norris with magic. The genuine part would beat the Japanese part any day of the week ('Murican superiority), but the magic part makes it kinda iffy.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

jwang posted:

Can Chuck Norris kill Chuck Norris? Because that's what we're dealing here: genuine Chuck Norris vs. Japanese Chuck Norris with magic. The genuine part would beat the Japanese part any day of the week ('Murican superiority), but the magic part makes it kinda iffy.

By the power of the internets and memes, Chuck Norris can beat anyone that he is required to defeat no matter the odds or circumstances. :colbert:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 15, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Steaven Seagal can best Tatsuya. Tatsuya couldn't even beat his master in martial arts duel and everyone knows that Steaven Seagal doesn't lose martial arts fights.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Edward IV posted:

By the power of the internets and memes, Chuck Norris can beat anyone that he is required to defeat no matter the odds or circumstances. :colbert:

Guess this is true. The power of internet and memes are so magical that even Japanese Magical Self-Insert Chuck Norris can't defeat the divinity that 100% American Chuck Norris has achieved, and thus is crushed under the power of memes and Chuck Norris jokes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What does an elderly actor who was good at karate when he was young have to do with anything?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Meme culture

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We're getting desperate when it comes to extracting comedy from this series.

It's my honest wish that this series would get worse. At least then we can have fun making GBS threads on it :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

We're getting desperate when it comes to extracting comedy from this series.

It's my honest wish that this series would get worse. At least then we can have fun making GBS threads on it :(

Oh, this arc is worse. It is a straight up chinese invasion which is repelled mostly by Tatsuya. I guess the triads just straight up control the chinese military for some reason? Another high point is the unstoppable chinese assassin who is easily stopped by japanese high school students (other than Tatsuya!) due to their innate superiority.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Of course the American agent has to cheat to get away from a few Japanese high schoolers and then gets casually slaughtered to make it seem like evil Chinese guy might actually be a credible threat to Tatsuya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tatsuya keeping his ability to regenerate secret as much as possible is the absolute smartest thing anyone ever does in this setting. However, it doesn't make for very good fights when anyone who fights Tatsuya is unaware that he can't be killed via conventional methods. If it got out? Sure, there are bound to be some possible countermeasures. But the sinister chinese don't even know who Tatsuya is, much less his power set.

Tatsuya is Stardust the Super Wizard, right down to the overwhelming ego, lack of empathy and tendency to horribly murder ridiculous caricatures.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This episode is called Yokohama disturbance part 2. The season finale is Yokohama disturbance part 8. I am assuming that the finale 3 hours of the series are Tatsuya getting drawn into a massive China/US versus Glorious Nippon terrorist battle. And effortlessly wiping them out.

Wait, the magic school is literally called “First High School”? What a pretentious name for a place that segregates and brutally mistreats 90% of its students.

So, magic girl president is flirting? With Tatsuya and talking about how making mages economic powerhouses would eliminate their sole use as weapons. While mages expanding their roles is great, there is no reason any nation would ever go “well yeah you can make free energy, but we’d like you to wipe out a few thousand ground troops. Oh well, free energy it is, we’ll just throw bodies at them and hope to win.”

So…is Tatsuya not sexual at all? Or has he suddenly developed a perverse sense of humor, flirting back with magic girl president and telling her if the cameras weren’t there and she was still ‘offering’ herself he’d gently caress her right there on the desk? That seemed really out of character for him to suddenly be so aggressively in responding to her even as a joke. I’m assuming it’ll come back as his sister finding out and doing her psychotic freeze everything thing.

I skipped a shitload of episodes, but isn’t the counselor the same one who concealed information about the potential terrorists attack on the school? Why is she still employed?

So, as far as plot goes the school is being hacked or something, but every other scene is interrupted with comical male/female hijinks. The Thesis competition will be attacked from various angles by spies, thieves, etc. so Tatsuya is now having to manage security for the event, but in the “have flirtatious girls guard each guy” sense.

Zhou Gongjin is another point man for recruiting local naïve Japanese to help. Kind of a distinctly Chinese name. It looks like there’s a student at the school who’s working for the evil Chinese too. It’s a mess of jumping back and forth using vague pronouns to describe people so I’m not really sure what’s going on.

Back to the 2 police guys, the same ones who blew up the refugee ship. They’ve decided to investigate more, and approach a guy name Roter Wald. US/UK I guess. I don’t see this conflict ending in anything other than united international terror cells attacking Japan and Japan effortlessly repelling them. Never mind, it’s a café/front for terrorists. Or something. I can’t tell, this entire episode is a clusterfuck of shady stuff possibly happening while jumping back and forth between characters every 30 seconds or less.

Two of the school ‘enforcers’, redhead baton girl and other guy, attack some random guy who’s been stalking them, knife fight ensures and he loses. The dialogue for the entire thing is painfully bad, even by the standard of this show. Oh, now it makes sense, the US and the West have a bunch of people in the country illegally trying to keep “The East” from stealing Japan’s super powerful magic. That was the guy they caught, and after his big speech he drops a smoke bomb and vanishes.

So, magic cops are in the bar/café, approached by a random woman, she chats them up and leaves whens she gets a call. Hey, what the gently caress is this “Ancient Magic” that keeps getting mentioned? It seems like the most important thing in the world but it’s all vague references and poo poo.

Show ends with Western Spy being brutally killed by huge Chinese terrorist dude who’s been creeping in the background whenever head Chinese terrorist is talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

Two of the school ‘enforcers’, redhead baton girl and other guy, attack some random guy who’s been stalking them, knife fight ensures and he loses.

I loved this scene because from a perfectly reasonable point of view, it looked like he was just some guy out for a stroll when suddenly two magic-wielding teenage thugs start hassling him and going "Oh, you can't escape us now!" *toys menacingly with baton*

• Locked thread