Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Irregular At Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei) is an adaptation of a series of light novels by Satou Tsutomu. It is a bad show based on bad light novels.

Shiba Tatsuya and his absolutely blood-related sister Miyuki enroll in a magic high school. Miyuki is at the top of her class, while Tatsuya is relegated to a weird underclass within the school. As such, Tatsuya faces discrimination from other students. However, Tatsuya is actually totally awesome in every way but the education system just isn't equipped to recognize this. Let's go over all the ways he is wonderful!

He is a skilled martial artist.
Scored the highest on the written exams.
Can tell what magic is being cast before anyone else.
His sister wants to gently caress him and worships him like a god. This is her defining character trait.
Lots of other girls also eventually fall madly in love with him for no particular reason.
He is secretly the famous magic engineer "Silver" (hahaha).
Is probably the smartest person alive?
Likely the strongest mage in the world.
He secretly belongs to a special forces unit in the military.
He can dispel magic.
He automatically regenerates from any wound.
He can completely heal anyone's recent injuries.
He can disintegrate any and all matter at will.
He can split atoms, which is essentially the ability to set off nukes.
He has special eyes, which allow him to see the true nature of any and all magic.

In short, this is the story of Tatsuya beating people upside the head with how amazing he is until they grudgingly acknowledge it. Well, men. Women tend to unconditionally accept his innate superiority. However, he has a tragic flaw which humanizes him. His brain was rewired, leaving him unable to feel any emotions other than (non-romantic) love toward his sister. That this simply makes him impassive and cool is totally a coincidence, you guys!

Aside from how astoundingly terrible Tatsuya is, this series also features Satou's deeply unsettling views on women and nationalism. Dude is hosed in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Let me clarify something. This is a bad show. You should not watch it. It is not self-aware, it is not clever, it is not intentionally funny. Some people (like me) will watch it anyway while griping about how terrible it is, which is what this thread is for.

However, if someone wants to earnestly defend it feel free. It would probably be more entertaining than the show itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

So they could have just said that and saved what, 10-15 minutes over the course of 3 episodes? You were able to explain in a few sentences what this anime couldn't in several lengthy scenes.

That just sounds like a combination of magic and nanomachines tho, I guess I don't get what's special about that! Heck, it seems like a generic sort of technology that is indistinguishable from magic setup even.

A lot of it depends on innate ability. While you might not think so based on the initial premise, the author seems to really, really love the concept of elitism. There are a bunch of wealthy, influential mage families who are just plain better at magic than anyone else. Surprise, Tatsuya and Miyuki secretly belong to one of them!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

This poo poo seems to sprout up almost single comic that takes place even within the general vicinity of any kind of school or work recently, is it the new editorially-mandated hip and trendy plot or something?

Here, the only thing wrong with elitism is that the author's self-insert isn't included. I kind of hate Satou without knowing anything about him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

Personally I think the best guy in the show so far was the student counsel vice-president, who was likeable in a vaguely Frank Grimes sort of way. Dude was the only sane guy, and he raised completely valid questions about nepotism and such while everyone was busy fellating the main character.

Too bad he was ruined after losing that duel :smith:

"The student magic patrol has to deal with magic fights. You freely admit that you are not good at magic, a fact which you literally wear on your sleeve. Why are you being considered for this duty again? Oh right since I'm an obvious straw man I'll just be as rude as possible about my perfectly valid reservations."

And later: "Grrr, I hate to admit it but you are obviously better than me and the entire education system. It is very unfair that they only test things you are bad at, as opposed to testing your ability to write awkward technobabble and creepy, voyeuristic descriptions of teenage girls to uh... do some other kind of magic?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

This is the lamest loving power fantasy in that the main dude seems content to fly under the radar about being wizard god instead of owning everyone all the time.

Oh, you seem to have missed the point. Tatsuya is so cool and detached that he only reluctantly shows off that he is a wizard god when circumstances force him into it. The reluctance is the key which is supposed to keep him from being a conceited braggart. Of course, there is no real reason why some dumb school fights where Miyuki isn't involved would force him to reveal such important secrets. Well, aside from how if Tatsuya didn't show off and then explain why he was so awesome there would be no reason for people to worship him like a god.

I guess it sure is a good thing that a magic high school filled with magicians mostly from families full of magicians doesn't have a single person who knows anything about magic cancelling. Otherwise showing that stuff off might have been kind of dumb, huh?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Now that I think about it, no one at any point learns anything about magic from the magic high school curriculum. Tatsuya comes pre-loaded with his special range of bullshit abilities, but anyone else uses some combination of figuring stuff out on their own, family specialties, and/or slobbering over Tatsuya's cock until they reach enlightenment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

That is...amazing. So, in the main characters(The Family Incest) mind, those poorweak magic havers are just jealous, even though being in class 1 and class 2 is equivalent to 'segregated but equal' schooling in the US. Great.

Oh no, it isn't equal at all. See, the reason for the division is that there is a severe shortage of magic teachers. So the people in class 2 don't have teachers. At all. Ever. That's why they were so shocked when the counselor came in and said hello during their first class.

However, the people with ~real ability~ will eventually be recognized by the military because the (japanese) military is awesome that way.

Edit: Oh, didn't see what you were quoting in my rush to mock the show some more. My assertion that no one ever learns magic from school is especially true for Miyuki, who is ostensibly receiving instruction. Of course, just what 'magic school' would even consist of is never really elaborated on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 28, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show is like a poo poo onion. Peel off one layer, and there is always another layer of feces.

For example, you know how Godking Tatsuya reproached the counselor for her outfit? In this setting, women showing any skin in public is highly discouraged. Those wispy jackets that are part of the girl's uniforms are there for the purposes of modesty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The girl with the genetic predisposition for absolute dependence and the robot maid haven't even joined the harem yet. You haven't seen anything when it comes to Satou being weird about women.

Spoiler alert, I guess.

Also, there is one genuinely surprising fact about Tatsuya's harem, that I will put in spoilers because it is so wildly improbable that no one would ever think of it on their own. The glasses girl with the big tits? She doesn't ever fall madly in love with Tatsuya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 1, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Is she gay? That might explain it.

Yeah, the ultra-nationalist who wanks about how awesome the military and the rich are is going to include a positive portrayal of a homosexual. I'm surprised the nefarious chinese who are determined to bring down glorious nippon aren't all gay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Well, it's okay for girls to be gay as it's only there to titillate the viewer.

Ha ha, the viewer. This is masturbation fodder meant for exactly one person. Lemme dig up some of the creepy loving descriptions of female characters from the LN's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Here is a fairly tame but unnecessarily lengthy example, picked from a random chapter of a random book. It might not seem that bad, but this sort of passage is frequent enough that it gets kind of creepy.

Satou posted:

Among this group, Mayumi's appearance was very conspicuous.

As a matter of fact, she was "extremely conspicuous".

Both her arms and shoulders were revealed in her summer dress.

The length was also above her knees.

Her bare legs were matched with a pair of high heeled sandals.

Her skin was lightly browned, probably because she applied an anti-UV and infrared protection layer. Taking this into account, she technically wasn't revealing anything, but this skin coloring only served to help people think that she had been sunbathing.

"It suits senpai very well."

A daring summer outfit embroidered with flowers truly suited Mayumi perfectly.

"Is that so......? Thank you."

The surprised tone coupled with a bashful expression was also a killer combination.

"......If only you were slightly embarrassed while complimenting me, then that would be perfect."

The young lady who was 2 years older than Tatsuya extended both arms straight onto her hips and leaned forward to look upwards at him.

Though petite, she still possessed average measurements around the bosom and, once squeezed by both arms, a lovely cleavage could be seen.

At this point, it almost seemed intentional.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He lost all capacity for emotion except love for his sister and passion for burly men. But really, if that weird in-depth description of that buff guy was in the book perhaps Satou describes all of his characters in a creepy way without regards to gender. I may have just never noticed, but I'll be damned if I am re-reading the books to check.

Of course, Satou's unsettling hangups with women isn't limited to descriptive prose.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real villain is the society which doesn't approve of sibling incest, except without criticizing japanese society at all. I dunno, just blame the chinese for that too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The funny part is, a lot of magicians get shunted off to the military but they still end up wealthy somehow. The peculiar elitism which pervades this setting includes the military in the upper crust of society. In other words, imperial japan wankery.

Besides, it isn't like all of these magicians come from normal families and end up rich. They were born wealthy, and all of the training and resources that magicians need to function is provided by either their families or the government at no charge. The magicians are elites, and they are born just plain superior to those worthless proles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
However, one thing you should keep in mind is that magic, careers based on magic, and most especially military careers based on magic are almost always portrayed as wonderful things to do with your life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I didn't say that the setting made military service seem neat, but rather that the characters do. I think Tatsuya has killed like 100k people by now, most of them chinese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Mondaiji is polite enough to make the overpowered character not warp the fabric of the show so that everything revolves around his overpowered rear end

He is also a jerk that people acknowledge as being a jerk instead of spontaneously falling in love with him or automatically turning into his lackey. Mondaiji is self-aware, colorful and humorous. Everyone should go watch that instead of this crap if you haven't already.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I read the entire series of ln's and am continuing to watch this show. I am completely obsessed with this horrible thing. Don't become like me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Desuwa posted:

If the author wanted an easy motivation for an anti-magic function they should have just made it into a cult, even if it's still funded by the Koreans and Chinese. That way the ideology doesn't have to stand up to a particularly weak breeze. A cult would be much more useful and believable from a narrative perspective, too, since it'd justify the random acts of violence.

But no, this is definitely the author going on a soapbox for his extremely naive beliefs with a hilariously exaggerated strawman that isn't even allowed to speak for itself. There are other things in the LNs that I've read in spoilers like the USA selling Hawaii to Japan (in this universe WWII and Pearl Harbour did happen) and being fought off by Japan after regretting the sale. That's so shockingly impossible that it only shows the author's incredibly petty, childlike ideas about Japan (mostly how they're inherently better than everyone else) and the world in general.

Full disclosure, I haven't watched the fifth episode. I almost want to watch it just so I can stoke my anger properly but I don't think it's worth it.

On the other hand I'm still following this thread.

I'm pretty sure that's Gunbuster backstory. It certainly isn't from this series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The lack of teachers is dumb to begin with. There have been magicians for generations, and they have been militarized for at least the last 20 years or so. So, why are there no incentives for graduates of magic college to become teachers? If magicians have limited freedom to choose their own professions, why the hell doesn't that extend to teaching as well? Wouldn't a lot of those course 2 students make perfectly good teachers after college even if their practical skills were second-rate? There are 8 magic high schools in Japan, I believe. Why have so many schools if there aren't enough teachers to go around?

The answer of course is that Satou is very, very obvious about his grudges. Whatever his problem with teachers is, it was probably his fault.

Oh, and the oh-so-benevolent reforms from the student council president? Exactly which course 2 student do you think they recruit to the student council?

Srice posted:

Yeah, and the author wrote her as a naive idiot just because she wanted to change the system. She doesn't have to be dumb, but the author made it so because, again, the author's beliefs are such that he can only pit them against idiots and literal terrorists instead of letting a legitimate debate happen.

(Real talk you should legit respond to Tarranon's post about Card up there, I think he said what I'm trying to say in a better way)

As for the poor thing, how else is a viewer supposed to interpret the main character bitching about how poor people don't work hard enough, and that's why they're poor?

It is worse than that, actually. She has literally been mind controlled into believing in the cause. There are no sympathetic characters who ever espouse views contrary to the right-wing wankfest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 6, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I don't think it can be disproved, I just don't see it that way for the reasons I stated(them not actually arguing for equality or the MC against it and the possibility it's just a plot tool, plus that the actual discrimination against Course 2 students is shown to be bad multiple times).

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong. Discrimination against Tatsuya is shown, and this is presented as bad. No discrimination against Tatsuya's classmates is ever mentioned or shown.

The stuff with the kendo duel actually had nothing to do with course 1/2. It was far, far dumber than that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The first episode has it affect Leo, Erika, and Mizuki.

They stepped in to defend Tatsuya, as they were not yet aware that he is an invincible magic god. That scene was entirely about Tatsuya. It was dumb as hell for a bunch of random people to get so possessive of Miyuki on the first day of school. Nothing like it ever happened again. Miyuki just plain never socializes with any course 1 students aside from one girl who joins Tatsuya's harem and the student council. No one is ever shown to have a problem with this. It was all a poorly contrived excuse for Tatsuya to show off how awesome he was in spite of being discriminated against by background characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Elite posted:

I like how we've got people trying to explain the concept of a strawman argument, to someone who might as well be a strawman.

He is probably serious, which is really too bad. This thread was ripe for that sort of trolling.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Oh, that episode reminded me of something. Some entertaining LN spoilers: when Tatsuya mentioned wanting to work in "energy" what he meant is that he wants to create magic cold fusion and solve the world's energy problems forever. It wouldn't surprise me if he does by the time the series is over because it turns out he's already invented magic flight.

It is better than that, actually. Early on, they introduced that there were three great problems of magic engineering which most people considered unsolvable. So, Tatsuya has already solved one and gotten halfway through another (while rubbing it in some drat LIBERAL POLITICIAN's face). I forget what the third one was. The funny part is that those problems were specifically introduced to establish that Tatsuya is not only the strongest person on the planet but also the smartest. It isn't like they are flaws intrinsic to the magic system, which is already vague enough that it can do whatever the plot requires.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wasn't the entire plot of Liberation Maiden "There are aliens. I have to kill the aliens in this mech."?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahahaha, all of the comments are from people who genuinely like Tatsuya and want to see more of him. I'm dying here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

That is actually pretty weird. Tatsuya is at least a martial artist so I can see why you'd put him in a fighting game.
On the other hand Miyuki has yet to do anything. She only reveals her powers during comedic temper tantrums.

On another note, someone here read the LNs, right? Do they have any cool sympathetic villains?

The main villain remains some chinese mafia guy who also has control over the chinese military sometimes. His goals are to capture superior japanese mages, invade glorious nippon, destroy the yotsuba clan (the big important mage family Tatsuya belongs to), and most importantly, kill the mysterious masked soldier (WHO COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?!?!?) that keeps thwarting his plans. So basically, his entire motivation is that he is chinese and hates japan.

However, for a few books the primary enemy was a group of what was essentially demons that possessed people. Demons that were unintentionally summoned by the dastardly US. It was pretty dumb, even compared to strawman equalists.

I'll explain why he wants to bring down the yotsuba clan if anyone cares. It is a doozy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Not nationalist?

Okay then. The current head of the yotsuba family is the incest enthusiast pair's aunt. When she was a child, she was attacked and abducted by a bunch of chinese agents. She had unique powers, studying that kind of thing can lead to advances in magic, and if nothing else magic talent tends to be hereditary. So, nothing too surprising there, though it was weird that they wounded but otherwise ignored her fiance who was from a similar big old magic clan. However, you must remember that this was the subhuman chinese, so their method of study consisted entirely of child rape. Naturally, she was rendered barren (and catatonic, but that's another issue) making her completely useless as far as magic research is concerned. Artificial wombs and cloning have been around for quite some time in this setting, too. So, the yotsuba clan eventually got her back and then swore undying vengeance on china's magic researchers. They then killed every magic researcher in china. Not the japanese government or military, just this one extended family. There was some kind of greater china at the time, likely something along the lines of a unified southeast asia. As the result of this righteous rampage, that collapsed into whatever the current version of china is. I'm obsessed with this setting, and not even I give a poo poo about the specifics. So, that's why evil chinese dude hates the yotsuba.

So, what can you take from this? First, the chinese are idiots whose inhuman magic experiments mindlessly ape japan's superior inhuman magic experiments (which tend to be presented as an unfortunate necessity, but even though those labs are still around in some form none of the cast really cares much). Second, the chinese want nothing more than to rape japanese women even if they have a vested interest in refraining from such. Third, in any sort of conflict the chinese are innately inferior to a much smaller number of japanese.

In short, jesus loving christ Satou. Get help.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Mayumi does change the system in some ways. However, those changes only ever benefit Tatsuya. One guy from course 2 does get promoted to course 1, but apparently that was the first and only time it had ever happened. Kendo girl gets a boyfriend. Erika and Leo focus on the martial arts side and being Tatsuya's lackeys, neither of which is really covered by the school curriculum so their course is largely irrelevant. Everyone else in course 2 simply comes to accept their station in life, squarely under all of the demigod industrialists magicians from important families.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If course 2 students are just as good as course 1 students, then why aren't they in course 1? After all, look at all of these course 1 students who aren't from powerful wizard families, like ______, ______, and even ______.

Also, I just now realized how bizarre that there is only one guy who moved from course 2 to course 1 in the history of the school. The course 2 students are explicitly there to be replacements for course 1 burnouts. That's the entire reason for the divided student body, and it was never put into practice. Oh, and that one guy? He was from a powerful wizard family, but was stuck in a long slump that Tatsuya pulled him out of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Placement is only about who scored the best on tests.

Oh, and what's this? Those who scored best on tests just so happen to be magical thoroughbreds from privileged backgrounds? Eugenics are awesome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The Kenjutsu leader suddenly being a good guy is weird. His whole character just does a 180. I will point out that Erika is from a famous family but still Course 2, though.

The point of that speech is that even if you don't excel in one area, you have other things.

But the Bloom/Weed thing is a bad thing within the series, everyone is against it.

Ah, but recall that Erika is a bastard. She isn't a thoroughbred, and as such her magic ability is inferior. Since magic has been equated with value to society and magical talent breeds true, you could say that Erika is worth less because she is mixed race. So there you go, an argument against miscegenation based on hard evidence. Of course, in this case it is super japanese and regular (but still superior to those dirty gaijins) japanese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since when is Id a LN?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CVE posted:

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=100244

Here is the link to the novel description (You probably never heard of it since it isn't translated apart from a few chapters and is on hiatus).

http://idmanhwa.wikia.com/wiki/Id_Wiki

Even the wiki calls it an adaptation. Now these aren't the most credible sources but they really have no reason to lie.

Still not a light novel. It is a korean fantasy novel, as you can tell from the cover alone. That it is an adaptation is rather surprising to me, as a lot of the manwha is just people trading giant flashy attacks back and forth. Without art to accompany it, that sounds rather dull.

Id is kind of a gary stu, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think I'm gonna stop engaging him. He is either a really good troll or truly pitiable in any of a number of ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New thread title: Gary Stu's sister does not want to gently caress him in spite of all evidence to the contrary, because she said so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

So it's football, except in a box with airholes, and protective gear, and a ping pong ball.

I'm pretty sure in 2080 no matter if magic is real or not sports are probably gonna be the same as sports we have now and not played in dumbass transparent boxes. Your made up sport sounds dumb as gently caress.

It sounds like jai alai for sissies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

I'm just morbidly fascinated with the show because it's legit one of if not the worst anime I've ever seen.

Worst writing, maybe. The production values are perfectly fine, and the character designs aren't bad either. Granted, the latter aspect is probably because Satou has a fetish for demurely dressed women, but it still beats the usual LN panty shot extravaganza.

• Locked thread