Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
finally, my hogwarts OC has been bought to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically the author's beef is not with elitism per se, but with the fact that I, worthless shut-in nerd who consumes LNs, should be the one in charge.

Compare with One Punch Man who made the statement and turned it into a farce.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It does, however, have the greatest opening line of any novel.

The dickgirls opened fire.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There's consistently bad and there's consistently bad in the same way.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, the ultra-nationalist who wanks about how awesome the military and the rich are is going to include a positive portrayal of a homosexual. I'm surprised the nefarious chinese who are determined to bring down glorious nippon aren't all gay.

Don't know about that, friend.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's not gay to profess incredibly admiration for the male physique. It's only gay to receive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mondaiji is polite enough to make the overpowered character not warp the fabric of the show so that everything revolves around his overpowered rear end

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
jokes on you i dropped it weeks ago im just here for the shittalk

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

MrCinos posted:

Wow at such negativity in the thread. So far the first three episodes were quite good. This is the only anime this season which caught my interest. Admittedly, only because I've read a few volumes of the original.

I really liked magic system which the author incorporated in his story, some of the spells will be used quite creatively (my personal favorite is a barrier guy). Socially adept version of Sagara Sousuke (FMP) as a main character is also a good point in my book. And for all the "Gary Stu"-ness of main character, he would still have a few close calls in the series. Too bad that most of the comedy would probably be lost due to the absence of Tatsuya's thought process, but such is a reality of almost all LN/VN adaptations.

WickedHate posted:

I recognize it has flaws but just happen to like it. :shrug: I like the magic, the fights, and yeah, the characters are interesting to me, though I can see why they don't appeal to others.

I think Tatsuya's main flaw is his lack of social skills. That said, he still has a group of friends already.

in a sufficiently large group, someone's going to have sufficiently poo poo taste

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
as a magic user i am oppressed because

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you need someone who can independently form their own artistic vision to starship troopers it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having just finished watching Code Geass, how does Mahouka compare?

Code Geass has nuances to its crazy hypernationalism, even with the poor innocent Japanese civilians massacred in the streets by faceless Britannian soldiers. But they also deliberately blur the boundaries of Us and Other, setting the viewpoint characters amongst the invading Other, and making them some of the more important and likeable. Like Shirley and Milly and all that student council bullshit, they were so recognisably japanese and drew upon familar cultural tropes. If anything, it seemed that the purpose of that was to hold a twisted mirror to the imperialist excesses that the audience is themselves complicit in. It was also deliberately internationalist, in that the Japanese were not alone in their struggles.

Code Geass seemed to more strongly denounce any idea of unchecked personal power held by Great Men. All of Britannian's actions could only occur in the system of absolute control by the nobility. The Euphinator could only occur if soldiers are willing to obey monstrous commands without any pretext). And at the end, the only way to redeem Lelouch's (an excellent multi-faceted character by the way) Great Man actions was a public suicide.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im watching darker than black for my soulless overpowered MC needs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
is a mage not entitled to the sweat of his sister

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wickedhate is not trolling many animewatchers indeed really do have sufficiently poo poo taste

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i recently rewatched oreshura several months ago someone kill me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
apologies i hadnt realised that we had come to the same conclusion

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wait doesnt freezing faster speed up cell membrane rupture

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
thats still not going to chance the fact that the water molecules suddenly have to occupy more volume than before

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Namtab posted:

Am I the only one who felt really sorry for chiya?

Orange? She's a nice person, she deserves a better life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is now a thread about bad shows that you have recently watched but enjoyed in spite of such.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And why are they the enemy. Think carefully about this answer, for it may surprise you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
No you dumbshit there is a ton of political and economic tension over a bunch of nationalists dickwaving at one another and lots of unresolved history from some horrendous war crimes within living memory. And like Russia, China can be used as a homogenous dehumanised horde of enemies for the heroes to vanquish.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I recently watched Code Geass go full retard and even that loving show had some clever elements and unexpected role reversals under its nationalistic exterior.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The MC lets me imagine a universe where I'm not a complete loser and the sister makes me rock hard.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show does not deserve the dignity of the spoiler tag.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You could make him damaged as gently caress and blatantly manipulating himself to appear acceptable to society like DtB's Hei.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

Like I said, I have a thing about heroes and justice. Amoral protagonists are fine, I like Breaking Bad and 8-Bit Theater is one of my favorite things ever, but for heroes who are treated as right and good people, it immediately falls apart for me if they wouldn't care about random people dying.

You are a literal child.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't force yourself my friend, animes should be savored and enjoyed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i want to frame every single one of your posts and hang them on the wall

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

I recognize it has flaws but just happen to like it. :shrug: I like the magic, the fights, and yeah, the characters are interesting to me, though I can see why they don't appeal to others.

I think Tatsuya's main flaw is his lack of social skills. That said, he still has a group of friends already.

WickedHate posted:

So this is what I sounded like. :shepface:

SSNeoman posted:

Holy gently caress that's the same guy!? :psyduck:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They'll use the money to make Chihayafuru S3

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sounds to me like some people want to eat a disintegration ray to the face

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress y'all I've watched Girls und Panzer in public.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
itt we chitchat about better more interesting animes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
haibane renmei was better than sora no woto or girls und panzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008