Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StevenM posted:

That defense works when we're talking things like Tom Preston where the content is relatively fresh during the thread's lifespan - discovering stupid poo poo in his history, compared to stupid poo poo he does today that's different from other people, etc. When you literally acknowledge that the thread is about yet another tired anime using played-out cliches, you can't really say you're mining it for fresh content unless they do something ridiculously depraved or amazing with it. Otherwise it's going to be pages of "yep, this stupid anime sure is stupid :effort:".

Truth be told the best "so bad it's good stuff" is incredibly rare, it's usually when they do unexpected things executed terribly that a show fulfills that sort of thing.

Here? Well, uh, we have incest stuff and a really dull main character. I tried watching 3 episodes with a friend and it's mostly just a slog, there's not even a lot to make fun of since it's a poorly executed by the numbers show. All the characters are just the typical archetypes you've seen handled better in other shows (here they only exist to talk about how the MC is awesome), except for the main character whose only "flaw" is that he doesn't have a personality. Incidentally, that makes it really easy for him to function as a power fantasy for the viewer!

It's just pretty hard to make fun of a show that's bad in the blandest possible ways, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That seems to be more an argument for grabbing the OST when it comes out than anything else!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So, I got a question: What is supposed to be compelling about the magic system anyways?

I get that there's magic, and they also use technology and something about magic guns. But that's all they've really said.

It's actually quite remarkable. There are bad authors that sperg about their magic system all day, but at least with those cases even if they feel like you're reading a D&D rulebook there is something tangible. It might not be good writing, but at least you can say something about it. Even if it is something like "Sheepomancers can only use wool magic after eating sheep" or something inane like that.

But here? They've spent a *lot* of time talking about the magic system, but it's all technobabble that is completely meaningless. I get the feeling that this is being written for someone who has already read the LNs because man, they sure spend a lot of time to say what ultimately winds up as something that means very little to me.

I couldn't even begin to talk about the magic in this even if someone held a gun to my head. I'd probably ramble about how they use technology or something but after that? Damned if I could say anything else.

Though of course it doesn't help that they infodump all this info in the dullest possible way to boot.

e: Also regarding all the "negativity" in the thread, most people are backing up their statements with pretty compelling points!

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 25, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

I'm going to continue watching this to figure out the hype. This is suppose to be massively popular in Japan and after watching the first three episodes I have no idea why. Nothing really happened.

I have no clue what the overarching plot of this could be. Protagonist dude has no personality, even less than most self-insert characters. And what is with that sister character? She basically worships the ground Tatsuya walks on. She can't even take a compliment without getting flustered and pointing out her brother is much better in that area than her. She can't seem to do anything without getting his approval. There's no humor, every interaction is pretty dry, it's not even sleazy as far a fanservice is concerned.

I mean I can see the appeal of Sword Art Online but this? :shrug:

I feel like the first 3 episodes could have easily been done in one, maybe one and a half episodes.

Even ignoring the incest, and ignoring the fact that the main character's "flaw" is literally supposed to be that he has no personality (and that stuff is very hard to ignore!), there's also the fact that they spent a gigantic amount of time introducing characters and immediately benching them. Most of them have, so far, only served to drop one liners about how awesome the MC is.

If you cut out the pointless infodumping about magic and only introduce the characters that are going to be relevant in the near future...well, it would still be a terrible show, but it would be slightly less boring.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is so popular. At least in the first episode of SAO there was a hook to the story. Sure, it didn't take long to poo poo the bed, but at least that first episode could give viewers a reason to watch more. Here? Oi. That was an incredibly dull way to open up the series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It does get a lot better explained in the manga and light novel(I'm reading and keeping pace with the show). Basically particles called psions are channeled into the CAD's, which processes the psions into spells. I think that's kind of close to how magic would really work in a modern/future setting, hypothetically.

So they could have just said that and saved what, 10-15 minutes over the course of 3 episodes? You were able to explain in a few sentences what this anime couldn't in several lengthy scenes.

That just sounds like a combination of magic and nanomachines tho, I guess I don't get what's special about that! Heck, it seems like a generic sort of technology that is indistinguishable from magic setup even.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 25, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

A lot of it depends on innate ability. While you might not think so based on the initial premise, the author seems to really, really love the concept of elitism. There are a bunch of wealthy, influential mage families who are just plain better at magic than anyone else. Surprise, Tatsuya and Miyuki secretly belong to one of them!

I kinda figured since they never stop talking about mudbloods weeds and pretty much all of the conflicts in the show thus far has been about that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally I think the best guy in the show so far was the student counsel vice-president, who was likeable in a vaguely Frank Grimes sort of way. Dude was the only sane guy, and he raised completely valid questions about nepotism and such while everyone was busy fellating the main character.

Too bad he was ruined after losing that duel :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Imagine being born to a rich family, and you want to start up as a florist or someshit, but you can't because your bloodline dictates that your career options include:
-Soldier
-Doctor

Sure, the majority of the population can't be doctors, but they have a lot more than two or three career pathways.

In that case couldn't the person in question just run away from home to try to start their flower shop or even just get a job at one? Heck, that would probably put them in the same situation as those poor people with career freedom.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

In that instance, they wouldn't be complaining about "those rich assholes", because they know that it's not so grand to have your entire future dictated by your bloodline.

Yeah but it's really hard to make that sort of thing sympathetic! There's a reason why the "rich person forced into a certain lifestyle by their parents" trope in stories usually goes with an arranged marriage to someone they don't care about. Kinda hard to care about someone not getting their ~ideal job~ when they live a life of luxury and have a lot of freedom other than that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Same. I feel a little sorry for anyone who's still actually watching.

I only saw the first 3 episodes since I sometimes watch bad anime (and other things) with a friend, and if I see more it will only be under those circumstances.

His response was more or less "This is even worse than the time you made us watch RWBY".

Which is rather hard to dispute, because I can't even think of a single positive thing to say about this show. Not even a damning with faint praise sort of compliment. I'm generally at a loss for words.

Heck, to name another power fantasy in the same vein, at least Sword Art Online's first episode had an actual hook. That show had so many problems but at least its first episode could give a reason to tune into the second. This show has just been amazingly dull in ways I never thought possible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Okay I caught up on this and I think it's a thing I'm hate watching with a friend now because jesus gently caress, the last two episodes transformed this from a really dull show to a straight up deplorable one. I don't blame Madhouse for getting paid to animate this but gently caress this author. The main character is 100% unsympathetic (which would be fine if it was intentional, but it's not) and I'm genuinely cheering for the "bad guys".

I mean seriously the author would rather have the oppressed be terrorists as a convenient way to avoid addressing their points, and that's to say nothing of the main character's "gently caress the poor" stance. I know that it was mentioned earlier in the thread that they don't believe in their cause, but that's horseshit because it's just a dumb way for the writer to set up a gigantic strawman (and, again, to avoid actually debating the completely legitimate points they bring up).

e: Also, the rants about how people who are anti-magic use magic really reminded me of this:

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The last episode was almost nothing but debating it, and Mayumi wanting to end the discrimination among students.

And earlier there was that chat about how those people who want equality are just too gosh darned emotional about it and if only they would look at it rationally they would understand.

And her speech was more or less just telling everyone to stop using slurs, at which point the opposition responded by bombing the school.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

No, the terrorist organization manipulating the Course 2 students bombed the school. Some may have helped, but they are just being jerked around. The point of it is that Blanche is convincing them the school discriminates when it's mostly just the Course 1 students, but Mayumi also comments on how it's unfair only Course 1 students an be on the council and I am pretty sure I saw a spoiler saying that policy is revoked eventually.

Yeah but I'm just reading between the lines here. Sure it's like that on the surface but it wasn't a debate, the people for equality didn't get a chance to respond and instead the people that represented them (not literally representing, but in sense that they have the same views) bombed the school.

Or, to put it another way, why did the author write this scene such that the people who are for equality were not allowed to bring up a counterpoint in the debate? And I don't mean the in-setting justification, that's just a cop-out. That's like saying an anime isn't catering to pedophiles because the girl who looks 8 that's being sexualized is actually 8000 years old.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Because, for the purposes of the story, the Course 2 students are just being used as convenient tools. Narratively, the issue is just a means for the students to be controlled. As it's pointed out, the school doesn't actually discriminate against them and when it's asked how they do Sayaka can't come up with anything. It's just a way for the bad guy to get their claws into the school.

Again, that's just a convenient in-setting writing excuse plus one heck of a strawman being set up. *Why* would the author write this argument as such that the people who want to put an end to discrimination are either misguided or outright evil? And I don't mean the lame justifications he uses in the story. I mean what do you think is going through someone's mind when deciding that this will be one of the themes of the story?

I mean we haven't even gotten to the nationalism I've heard so much about yet, but so far this anime has expressed the sentiments that:

A) Poor people deserve to be poor because they spend their time being jealous of rich people instead of working hard (bonus points for having a guy from a rich family say this while having zero sense of self-awareness whatsoever about it, the way it's presented implies we're supposed to agree with him).
and
B) The oppressed should stop being so emotional about their discrimination and just think rationally about it instead.

Get where I'm going with this?

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I know what you're saying, and I'm saying that from the author's point of view there just needs to be an excuse for the villain of the story to manipulate people.

And from my point of view the entire purpose of that is for the the author to espouse his lovely beliefs with a "debate" against a strawman. After all, why bother engaging the issue when you can just label everyone in your story that disagrees with your "one correct stance" as evil?

If he just needed an excuse for the evil faction maybe he could have come up with a stance for our "good guys" that could be even *slightly* sympathetic? I mean, I'll say it again: it's literally impossible for me to sympathize with the main character's beliefs, and despite being written as a bunch of mustache twirling villains, the terrorists are way more likeable than him.

Heck it's not too far removed from something like what I've heard about those Sword of Truth books, where the hero murders a bunch of war protestors because of their "hatred for moral clarity" and this is shown to be a good thing.

In other words:

Tarranon posted:

The author is so insecure in his ideology that he can only set it against idiots, terrorists, and petty thugs.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's the reason that the Course 1 and Course 2 students are stratified so differently in story for their school:

They expanded the amount of students at the school by twice the current amount to meet international standards, and the new hundred students uniforms didn't have the flower patch added in time.

.....that's it. From there it snowballed into people thinking "They are being treated differently because the administration thinks they aren't as good as us" and all that other crap over the years, ultimately being codified because the students looked down on them *anyway* and the stark reality they do not have enough magic teachers in the world. It wasn't meant to be that way in the beginning, they just didn't have uniforms ready in time and the new hundred students were absolutely meant to be the same as the other hundred.

It's one of the reasons the show should get so much poo poo thrown at it. If it was 100% beginning to end incest nationalism military awesome murder the Chinese-athon time, who gives a gently caress? Bad show/book is bad. The really weird part is how the occasional good or interesting idea pops up....and *then* is completely squandered.

Even thinking about that stuff makes my brain hurt.

This show is like an onion, I keep finding more and more layers of terribleness, and it makes me want to cry while peeling it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the school failing to function as, well, a school is a problem that they can be blamed for!

I just see the lack of teachers as an extension of the wish fulfillment. Our main character knows everything and is completely flawless, so what could get gain from a teacher? Why, that would imply that there's something he doesn't know!

I mean, it's certainly not uncommon for actual highschoolers to think that they already know everything and that listening to a teacher is a waste of time. This is just an aspect that appeals directly to that crowd.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 6, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Desuwa posted:

If the author wanted an easy motivation for an anti-magic function they should have just made it into a cult, even if it's still funded by the Koreans and Chinese. That way the ideology doesn't have to stand up to a particularly weak breeze. A cult would be much more useful and believable from a narrative perspective, too, since it'd justify the random acts of violence.

But no, this is definitely the author going on a soapbox for his extremely naive beliefs with a hilariously exaggerated strawman that isn't even allowed to speak for itself. There are other things in the LNs that I've read in spoilers like the USA selling Hawaii to Japan (in this universe WWII and Pearl Harbour did happen) and being fought off by Japan after regretting the sale. That's so shockingly impossible that it only shows the author's incredibly petty, childlike ideas about Japan (mostly how they're inherently better than everyone else) and the world in general.

Full disclosure, I haven't watched the fifth episode. I almost want to watch it just so I can stoke my anger properly but I don't think it's worth it.

On the other hand I'm still following this thread.

The fifth episode has what is probably the worst "debate" I have ever seen in any medium.

I mean, even in most insane right wing fiction the strawman is allowed to speak their points, even if the points are intentionally written to be dumb as possible.

That is how low the bar is set.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good writing could take care of that very easily, no? Show don't tell, and all that jazz? I don't think "it will be hard to adapt" has ever been a reason for delays with LN adaptions. It's usually stuff on the publisher's side of things.

I can't think of a single scene where the lengthy explanation of magic has been required to get what's going on, and more often than not it just contributes to the incredibly bad pacing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The school can only hire hire teachers if they exist. Tatsuya's "I already know everything" is because of their hosed up past more then anything, and not just being smart. They're less Holden Caulfield and more teenage Damian Wayne.

You're treating the work like it's a piece of history. Everything written is deliberate, the author wasn't forced at gunpoint to write a lack of teachers as one of the cornerstones of the plot. But he did, and I'm not seeing anything that disproves what I said about the main character not having a teacher as part of the wish-fulfillment prevalent in the series.

I can't see it as a character flaw, and even if it was it's a "flaw" that does not impede him in the slightest.

SSNeoman posted:

I mean you can read between the lines here, right? Particularly the girl's response? This is the author trying to say that everything about existing infrastructure is fine. If you want to change it, you are wrong and will embarrass yourself.

Not only that but as was mentioned earlier, they apparently can't handle that many students because of "international standards". It's literally saying that the Japanese way of doing things is superior and this is what happens when Japan listens to those dirty foreigners.

(Let's not even get into how silly an international enrollment quota for your school is)

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 6, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That makes the lack of teachers as a plot point make even less sense than it already does, which is kinda impressive because I thought that was impossible.

WickedHate posted:

I've been saying the author could have just needed to set up a way for the Course 2 students to be manipulated. Out of universe, you could replace it with anything else. The whole situation is just there as an explanation of how Blanche is loving with the school. [Bad Guy] manipulates students because [Set Up] to carry out their evil plan for [Setting].

Nobody is saying that the author wasn't doing so, they're just saying that the way they're doing it makes the "good guys" really hard to sympathize with, and the "evil" terrorists come across as the most sympathetic characters in the entire show. Of all the ways he could have portrayed the villains, he chose to portray them as evil because they want equality.

I mean, the show is telling me to root for the guy that talks about how poor people deserve to be poor, and that people who are discriminated against should not try to make things better? gently caress that, I'm rooting for our brave freedom fighters who want to make a positive change :patriot:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah and the people who are oppressing others are absolutely not victims. This isn't South Park!

(Even though tbh the anime doing a "truth in the middle" thing would...still be really dumb and terrible, at least it would admit that the people who want equality have valid points instead of painting them as terrible people)

e: How is what I said an exaggeration? The dude is condescending to a girl who wants to change the system, and the big speech at the end of episode 4 *literally* talked about how poor people would be rich if they stopped being jealous of rich people and just worked harder (ie: bootstrapping).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

She didn't know how she wanted to change the system. Tatsuya wasn't railing against the poor, he was just pointing out how Blanche is misleading people(ie that magic people are keeping others down).

Yeah, and the author wrote her as a naive idiot just because she wanted to change the system. She doesn't have to be dumb, but the author made it so because, again, the author's beliefs are such that he can only pit them against idiots and literal terrorists instead of letting a legitimate debate happen.

(Real talk you should legit respond to Tarranon's post about Card up there, I think he said what I'm trying to say in a better way)

As for the poor thing, how else is a viewer supposed to interpret the main character bitching about how poor people don't work hard enough, and that's why they're poor?

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 6, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a cult they'd still be a bit silly, but at least you could conceivably have some sort of downside to their cause, and that alone could go a long way.

As is, what we have is basically an argument presented like this:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is worse than that, actually. She has literally been mind controlled into believing in the cause. There are no sympathetic characters who ever espouse views contrary to the right-wing wankfest.

Ahahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo that is so retarded. And yet, oddly enough, that still doesn't make the terrorist cause unsympathetic. I mean, the protagonist might as well be doing the same considering how people react to him after a disagreement, haha.

I've already been feeling that this is literally the worst anime I have ever seen (not just because of the deplorable morality, but also in how *dull* the directing/writing has been), but it's impressive in how it keeps managing to dig even farther down. I'm insanely glad that I have Jojo/Mushishi/Ping Pong this season to have some excellence to balance out the terrible, smh at anyone watching this that doesn't watch those 3 shows :v:

Also I do like how the "reforms" are literally just that and also telling people to stop using slurs (in public). Gosh, if only they just outlawed white people using the N-word during the Civil Rights Movement, then they wouldn't have to do pesky things like desegregation, because racism would be over.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 6, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think even saying that it looks pretty isn't a good point because over the past few years a lot of animation studios really stepped up their game and have been constantly outdoing themselves. There are a ton of shows each season that look a lot nicer, and have more action instead of nonstop talking heads with maybe half a minute of action in a given episode. The talky scenes are directed in a really dull way, and when the bulk of the show relies on that...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I've been answering from the author's point of view.

You've mainly been answering from the in-universe justifications. Which can be a part of the author's view, of course. But part of the author's views is also in why he writes something in a particular way, aka the stuff that Namtab elaborated on. The sister example he gave is a good, short explanation of that stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You're still talking about the in-universe justification. The "why" that's being talked about is the stuff you have to extrapolate from the work, because it's something that is not directly explained to the viewer in most cases.

You don't actually need to know the author's thoughts to analyze a work. I mean, people have been finding all sorts of far right-wing messages coming from this and I doubt they've looked up anything about the author's personal thoughts. All you really need is an argument that can be supported by the work itself. This is a very politically charged work, so it's definitely completely legit to read that sort of reasoning behind why certain things in this story are the way they are.

And even if, somehow, the author's beliefs aren't far right-wing, he's doing a really lovely job at communicating that between the "gently caress poor people" and "gently caress people that want equality" messages, so that wouldn't change the interpretation either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I know what allegory is, I just don't think it's in favor of discrimination. Nationalism, maybe, but we haven't got to those parts yet. The show is not without it's flaws. I just disagree with this one.

Actually, the point being argued isn't actually directly about quality. Something can have a deplorable viewpoint and still be enjoyable to watch/read/whatever! (However, with certain types of views a lot of people find a strong inverse correlation there).

People have been posting a lot of valid points that are heavily in favor of that interpretation. What do you think is invalid about those arguments?

Or, to focus on one aspect in particular, is there anything that disproves the idea that making all the people arguing for equality evil, dumb, or mind controlled is a gigantic strawman?

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 7, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I've had fun talking about how heavily politically-charged fiction portrays its messages. Way more enjoyable than actually watching this joyless show, that's for sure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shere posted:

Episode one was abysmal, so I'm just going to assume by the last page of this thread that it only gets worse. I think it truly lost me around the point where Mr. Perfect was beating up an entire clan of ninjas, until the head ninja laid eyes upon his sister. They fought about it but the conclusion was off-screen because he loses and showing our perfect protagonist losing would be sin, but being 'not the best magical ninja' is merely a character building flaw.

"Magi High School" anime just makes me wish Mx0 were an ongoing manga series with an anime adaptation.

Yeah it gets way worse because it stays that bad but eventually starts talking about its far right-wing politics. There's literally an episode where they cut out the ED just so that they can fit in the main character's speech about how all rich people work hard to deserve their money, and that poor people are just jealous of rich people, with the heavy implication that poor people are only poor because they're lazy. If there was an iota of self awareness in the writing they'd address the fact that he was born into a rich family, but that would really ruin his uh, "point" about how people are just jealous that rich people became rich through hard work.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 7, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For current season stuff, the best shows are Jojo, Mushishi S2, and Ping Pong and all of them are worlds better than this in pretty much every metric I can imagine.

Heck, to keep this on topic and to have a little fun, I'll make a comparison and say that Ping Pong's protagonist is quite the opposite of Tatsuya. Smile's this guy who has a few friends, but most of the other people in his team think he's a bit weird. He has talent, but he's not automatically the best at everything, especially because of some major weaknesses: he just doesn't have the drive to be competitive, and he takes pity on his opponents if he knows what losing will do to them. Obviously that's quite the flaw when we're talking about competing in a sport!

Compare that to Tatsuya who is unconditionally loved by everyone and literally the only people that dislike him are shown to be jackasses or terrorists. Dude is perfect with magic, and everything else. And he doesn't have any real flaws to speak of because let's face it, we're talking about a self-insert character here. Not having a personality isn't a flaw in this case because it means the viewer can more easily project themselves, with the only real characteristics of note being "hates poor people" and "thinks oppressed people shouldn't try to rise above their station". But joking about the deplorable views aside, it's not a flaw because it doesn't impede him in any way. 5 episodes in and he hasn't even been mildly inconvenienced by it! It's a fake flaw, basically.

tl;dr - If you are not watching Ping Pong and are watching this, what the hell man go and fix that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At the end of episode 4 he literally talked about income disparity.

Like, he literally says that people with high income earn so much because their skills are important.

Heck, here's the line:

"But the reason that magicians' median income is so high is because the high-income bracket includes people with skills that are crucial to society."

And that's presented as a rebuttal to the line:

"The fact that someone's abilities and efforts aren't reflected in their social status, perhaps?" (which is in response to the definition of discrimination)

And another gem:

"What Blanche sees as discrimination is the gap between median income."

It's insanely hard to not read a certain set of ideals out of this! He is quite literally rebuking the idea that hard work may not always bring results. (Not to mention the implication about how it's not discrimination, they're only poor because they don't work hard)

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sindai posted:

Oh, that episode reminded me of something. Some entertaining LN spoilers: when Tatsuya mentioned wanting to work in "energy" what he meant is that he wants to create magic cold fusion and solve the world's energy problems forever. It wouldn't surprise me if he does by the time the series is over because it turns out he's already invented magic flight.

When I see that invention in the spoiler, I just can't help but think this would result in Atlas Shrugged but with more anime and incest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can admit that a show has some pretty freakin' deplorable messages and still enjoy it.

In fact, it's better to admit the terrible messages are there, instead of ignoring them. At least that method doesn't rely on not thinking too hard.

I've enjoyed stuff with lovely messages too! I just admit that they're there, and that despite that stuff I could still get enjoyment out of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Mahouka is only interesting as a freak-show style curiosity wherein one observes just how dull it's possible to make a power fantasy.

I think it's pretty much impossible to understate the dullness.

If we remove the constant infodumps about the magic system* (they can easily be cut because the stuff they talk about doesn't improve a single scene so far, especially since a lot of it is stuff like "he cast a spell to do that thing he just did") and remove the character introductions which are so poorly handled it feels like a lazy dating sim, we could probably fit everything that aired so far into 2 episodes easily. The show is soooooo slow.

Heck, most of the characters that have been introduced have served no purpose except to talk about how awesome the main character is. It's a pretty dumb concept when it's restricted to the sister, but even dumber when you can say that about half the cast.

As dumb as the objectivism and the strawman terrorists are, at least we can say that after 5 episodes they pulled off the biggest plot twist imaginable: something of note actually happened.

*I'm reminded of another recent LN show, Log Horizon. Log Horizon had to do a lot of infodumping, but the main difference between this and Log Horizon is that whenever Log Horizon infodumped about something, it would be relevant in that episode.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 8, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, but the author of Log Horizon really knows how to make economics interesting, and the main character there sometimes has a hilariously douchey disposition, which is actually commented upon. Additionally, the anime had Jouji Nakata playing a cat. A swash-buckling, chef-trained cat. I'm pretty sure it would take a herculean effort to make something like that dull. :3:

e: Fixin' those grammatically abysmal sentences.

Yeah, for sure, there were a lot of good things going on in that show's writing. In addition to those good things he also knew the bare minimum about infodumping, which is to say, you should have a reason to dish out that info to the audience.

Plus the presentation of said info was usually colorful enough. It had more than just talking heads! :v:

darkgray posted:

I hope you'll be this passionate when Dainihon Samurai Girl becomes (?) anime. It's about a hyper-right-wing 16-year-old girl who wants to become dictator of Japan in order to arm the nation with nuclear weaponry, so they can take on China and whatever, and she's persuaded to become an idol first, since it's the fastest way to the political top. Great stuff.

Heck, if it's as dully directed as this show then I'd be game for ripping it to shreds.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

as a magic user i am oppressed because

because those dirty poors that think I'm oppressing them are actually oppressing me by disagreeing with me, and why should I tolerate their intolerance????

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can't speak about the nationalistic messages since it's mainly in the stuff posted in this thread that hasn't happened in the anime yet, but the idea that rich people work hard and deserve their money, and that poor people are just lazy is definitely pushing an objectivist message.

Bonus points for having this come from the mouth of someone from a rich as heck family. If the author had a single iota of self awareness I'd say he was trying to make Tatsuya a hypocrite, but it's portrayed in such a way that we're meant to agree with literally everything he says.

Which is actually rather fitting since Ayn Rand would not have accomplished the things she did without the help of her friends and family. But once she had success, she threw them all under a bus and talked about how she accomplished everything and never had to ask nobody for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

He doesn't specifically say that word for word, but it is absolutely an implication of his speech. Heck, I posted those lines earlier in the thread!

Even if you take it at face value and ignore the obvious implications, the message is still "the poor are idiots who would rather spend their time listening to rhetoric about why it's not their fault that they're poor instead of working hard to become rich".

It's basically the same message that a ton of right-wing pundits espouse, with a little less sugarcoating.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread