Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I've been watching it and I think there's the makings of a fancy arthouse film in the way that the protagonist is incapable of reacting negatively, in an emotional or physical sense to his sister's inappropriate actions. Like what would happened to a child if their brother could be murdered all the time without issue?

The anime does suck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
What keeps me coming back is the idea that Tatsuya is a genuine attempt by the author to deconstruction the archetype of a stoic, super competent main character with super powers, but the author is too in love with the power fantasy that archetype embodies to set aside his own biases.

The deconstruction of Tatsuya's stoicism is that it comes from him genuinely lacking emotions, but for the author, following the logical conclusions of that is too painful.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

CVE posted:

Where does the conception come from that Tatsuya killed hundreds of thousand innocent chinese? All the ones he killed tend to be terrorists or participants outright acts of war even (spoiler for a later occassion) when he drops his nuke magic on a harbor city and utterly annihilates it including the fleet and china's own nuke mage with it, it 's still called a solemly military structure and there were no civillians)

Now it's horrible writing to show all chinese as evil/responsible for everything bad happening in the entire series so far (especially the cartoonish kind it is here) and not all military personal deserves the death they get but it's usually written as a reaction on an hostile act against Japan so it's "justified" defense I guess. Well the spoilered one is kind of preemtive and thus can be much more scrutinized because of it.

It's not like I try to defend the writing since I know fully well how bad it is but some criticism seems to be blown way out of proportion while there is plenty else to be picked upon.

Tell me more about this Chinese nuke mage. Were they as powerful as Tatsuya? Did the author admitt that yes, one lone Chinese person was perfectly capable of killing thousands of Glorious Japanese Warriors?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So Tatsuya is not alone the most powerful strategic class mage, he's also the only one not majorly flawed on some level?

Heh, Tatusya not ruling the entire world already is the only thing necessary to refute the author's beliefs. Here you have a character who can destroy all of society at will and it treats him like crap.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well, this series is Tatsuya being looked down on by everyone, so I assume that the payout of his team winning everything are so high it would wipe them out.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, right I forgot that Tatsuya was actually going to the super duper elite school. I figured that everybody, in the face of all rational evidence would underestimate him and be dazzled by him shattering records and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So what's this limiter do, exactly? I thought Tatsuya only needed that big gun-wand thing to nuke stuff.

Ah, this series has quite possibly the worse visual design of any entertainment I've ever seen.

• Locked thread