Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, the ultra-nationalist who wanks about how awesome the military and the rich are is going to include a positive portrayal of a homosexual. I'm surprised the nefarious chinese who are determined to bring down glorious nippon aren't all gay.

I dunno, Yukio Mishima was a dude who existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I've been answering from the author's point of view.

Not enough weird screeds about boning your sister to footage of the Rape of Nanking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Did you like read any of the thread cause all we've been doing is taking the piss out of this dreck.

Well, that's all most folks have been doing. There's a couple of posters who've said they're unironically watching and enjoying it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

There are a lot of quality shows that have a main character that's not like that and they don't have things like incestual fanservice to boot!

Might I recommend watching Ping Ping: The Animation, instead.

Ping Pong is excellent, but it's a very different beast that seems unlikely to scratch a magical action anime itch. On the other hand, I cannot think of a single reason to watch Mahouka ever when Jojo is currently airing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, I can't think of any one of the positive things that people have praised Mahouka for that Stardust Crusaders doesn't do the same but better. Unless you're really desperate for your incest and Japanese nationalism fix.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You mean that Mama's Boy? That dude is a big old softie. Who will totes wreck your poo poo if you look at him funny.

The Best Mama's Boy. :allears:

He was talking about Smile from Ping-Pong, an invincible stoic loner whose personality gets explored in great detail (because Ping-Pong is an intelligent character-piece), though Jotaro Kujo is certainly a far more entertaining stoic genius action lead with weird family issues than Tatsuya.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

It's a pretty good character comparison because we're supposed to believe that Tatsuya's lack of emotions is a character flaw, but you never see it portrayed as such. It never even inconveniences him or anything. It's just a fake flaw.

Meanwhile there are a few key moments in Ping Pong where you can tell Smile's attitude really has some negative effects on him.

I like to bring up Ping Pong as an example because it's a good show that everybody should watch!!

Indeed, Ping Pong is about the power of defeat to enlighten and heal, which means that Smile's invincibility is a pretty huge problem and the whole show is gearing up to give him the therapeutic smackdown he so desperately needs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Someone needs to use this as a pick-up line in real life and report back with the results.

Dude, you aren't using that already?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the Best Light Novels Ever

I have Read many Light Novels but this is the cream of the Crop right here

Story: This is a great story for anyone who Enjoys shonen/Tech Savy/Strategic Tropes. But in many ways, this story even has the potential to be a lot more popular than it already is. It is rare for any story to get overpowered done right but Mahouka does it perfectly. The novel takes a good look at the relationship between the weak and powerful, and it does well to create a world with a complete history. The explanations can get a little bit lengthy, but the complexity behind the magic theory adds a depth of reality to it all. I don't recall another supernatural action setting with such detailed, consistent, plausible explanations for supernatural combat techniques. If you read this for a volume or two, you should be impressed, as well as Intrigued to learn about the various spells and technologies/abilities.

Art : Like the saying goes "A picture speaks of thousand things" the LN's are subjected to 2-3 illustrations of important plot points throughout Volumes, M Kn R does a fantastic job in this department, the Artist has beautifully crafted the imagination of the author and blessed it with a touch of Life, It has a Mix of Shonen(ish)+a bit of Moe added in there...all in all Perfect Character Design that matches well with the tone of the story

Characters: One of The strong point for me in this Novel are it's Varied and Vast Cast of Characters, The MC (Tatsuya) isn't a Social Outcast or Weak as the Title would suggest...he follows his own Established Code mixed in with Mary Stu syndrome and yet ends up flashing the "Anti-Hero" persona, Miyuki his younger Sister suffers from Bro-Complex without any Sexual innuendos but in a more Cutesy fashion...all the Supporting Characters play relevant roles in driving the plot forward and more and more of their Background are revealed as the series progresses.

Overall: 10/10 With each installment my Enjoyment factors keep on rising, this is one of those rare cases that gets better and better with each passing chapters...i have re-read each arcs TWICE and i experience the same outburst of Emotions the 2nd time over...I Recommend this series to all who likes a bit of "Action+(H)Romance+Mystery+ Futuristic World-Building" mixed in to culminate a Masterpiece of it's Genre...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/reviews.php?target_group=LightNovel&target_title=MahoukaKoukouNoRettousei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there, at any point in this show, a roughly evenly-matched fight with good back-and-forth? Or anything remotely approaching it?

• Locked thread