Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SorcerousHam posted:

It's amazing that this has turned out to be even worse than the LNs, and the LNs were basically terrible dross. (Yes, I read them, but I seem to read a lot of crap, so eh.) The LNs are padded to all hell, but without a lot of the stuff that is in the padding a whole bunch of things they're leaving in the anime make no sense whatsoever.

As to whether or not they're villains, well... they pretty much are to an extent? I mean, the author probably doesn't intend for them to be viewed that way but:

1) He's a walking talking nuclear weapon.
2) He happily disintegrates people on a regular basis so long as it's not more troublesome to do so than leaving them alive.
3) He has no emotions except sibling love for his sister. The one time he actually shows significant emotion is cackling like a villain as he basically massacres a bunch of people who tried to harm his sister.
4) The reason he lacks emotions is because his mother and his aunt did illegal experiments on his brain to try and make him a better magician. His mother literally programmed him to love only his sister.
5) His aunt is leader of one of the magic clans. This specific clan is viewed as insane and monstrous by all the other clans. She views Gary Stu as a monster kept under control by a thin leash.
6) He's used his nuke powers at least three times. Once on an invading army. Once of a fleeing army. Once on a naval flotilla and entire port city. God knows how many people he's killed with just this one ability.
7) Related to 4) and how hosed up his mother and aunt are, his sister has a superpower where she freezes people's minds so they're in a permanent state of stasis. So basically his one connection to humanity is a loving horrifying person herself.
8) She literally freezes a whole bunch of people who were mind controlled. Who her brother had just disarmed. Of course she didn't know they'd been mind controlled and she felt really bad about it afterwards blah blah blah and thanks to ~magic~ she didn't kill them but still. Her first choice for people who she hates? Human icicle.

Honestly the easiest way to understand the dude is to ask "What does anime Doctor Manhattan look like?" and then subtract all humanity and all hope of a family connection giving him any.

The only hope for this show is if the action scenes end up being awesome.
OK. If this actually happens it sounds like the show will become bad in an interesting way.
Seem like I will keep watching then. Even though until now it seemed more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Except in the instance of USA vs Russia, neither side had committed genocide against each others civilian population, raped and pillaged each others territories and those within them, or committed other wartime atrocities as the Japanese did leading up to and during World War II. What's particularly infuriating to me is that these events are downplayed or ignored in Japanese history curriculums and they whitewash the events of the war to paint the Japanese in a better light. While it's common for history to be distorted for the benefit of the country it's taught in, it's inexcusable for the Japanese to do this with the amount of innocent blood on their hands. Had they taken an example from the Germans and taught the dangers of hypernationalism, I'd be far more forgiving towards the Japanese and wouldn't be nearly as offended about Japanese nationalism.
A better comparison to Japan vs. China would be USA vs. Native Americans or USA vs. Afro-Americans.
Generally I certainly would say that a work that has an author or main character from a culture that has historically oppressed another culture, the presentation of that other culture should conform to a slightly higher standard. For Japanese that would be Chinese, Koreans and Ainu.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I haven't read this yet or seen the anime, but from reading the thread is my assessment of this as Ctrl-Alt-Del: The Anime/light novel correct?
More like "Ghost" the light novel. The anime seems to be quite toned down from the source.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why would you be waiting to see nameless chinese people die?
We were promised "Ghost the anime". And the show wasn't it when I stopped watching. If it gets to those parts I might check them out.

pentyne posted:

This show would be instantly redeemed if after all of the incest overtones it cuts to the sister finally trying to make her move and Tatsuya just stares at her amusingly and smiles as he says "That will never happen, I was castrated as a child. I truly love you as family, how could I do anything else"

And then his sister kills herself.
As good as School Days anyway.

• Locked thread