Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Now that I have caught up with the thread time to hear more horrible opinions.

I liked the anime solely because of the universe, "scientific magic! sign me up" Oh lovely magic doesn't get butt hosed even better!

But like everyone said, it is hard to like for me as the characters which would make up most of the show are bland and boring as they feel like they have no contribution to the plot besides being stand in characters who can be unnamed for half the show then get one as ultimately at episode 7 they did jack poo poo.

Ultimately I never really saw the ultra nationalistic agenda, but I did see the "rich poor" contrast. And it did make it groan and go "oh loving poo poo not this again".

at the end of the day I would probably still watch it to explore more of this magic universe but its meh for anything worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Serious Frolicking posted:

I swear, Satou must have one of those squishy rear end mousepads, custom-made in Tatsuya's likeness.

Some highlights of this episode: "Here is my secret, which I am not obliged to reveal to you and that I only appeared to tell you about. If you keep it, I'll do whatever you ask!"

"What is Silver like? Perhaps he is some brilliant, handsome japanese teen who is actually awesome at magic regardless of what the education system says. He might even be standing in front of you right this second, wink wink (the winks being verbalized rather than actual winks)."

"That wasn't actually anything special." "To the contrary, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen and you should prostrate yourselves before this god made flesh. His typing a bunch of random letters really fast was so moving that I simultaneously ejaculated and defecated"

"Wow, you solved the unsolvable problem which had never been mentioned prior to this afternoon from our basement. Those filthy gaijin could never have done that, because they lack elementary understanding of magic for some reason."

Yeah that was just plain ridiculous, all these episodes have done so far is build up how ridiculously OP he is where as most shows that have a OP MC just give like a 5 minute snippet of the MC's Power.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Tatsuya isn't even in the running, because he is kind of a slave bodyguard. That's silly, but at least it isn't because he is too awesome (for once). I think the other candidates are a few cousins who appeared briefly. The funny part is that Maya Yotsuba is not an old woman and she does not have poor health. Why does the official heir matter that much if it is likely to be another 20-50 years before they take over anyway?

Well accidents happen and you would want to set a clear line of succession plus you would want to train them to be the head of family by exposing them to how it works.

But you know got to straw man insult our lovely block of wood.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Now I know what's bugging me about this anime, The protagonist never actually struggles. He just jokingly expresses power at the drop of a hat making him godlike.

Even in Code Geass where lelouch is probably the smartest guy around he runs into walls or situations that tax him and make it seem like he has trouble. Toaru where Toma has the most OP power still has a weakness of getting shot or making mistakes.

If Tatsuya actually had to struggle against something or a proper weakness it would get on much better.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Ahahaha, oh my god. That was the most amazing scene thus far. After Miyuki's (deathly dull) dance-off, there was a scene that consisted entirely of panning over stills, while girls gushed over how amazing the match was. However, all of the girls who were talking about how great Miyuki is were swarming around Tatsuya while Miyuki was standing well away from the group. Obviously, the subject of the conversation quickly switched to how Tatsuya is more god than man while those who scorned him seethed impotently, ignored by every girl in the room. It was probably just so they didn't have to animate a a change in scene for when they stopped talking about Miyuki and started talking about Tatsuya, but it was still inadvertently hilarious.

Also, I'm not really all that knowledgeable about gambling, but don't the majority of people bet on the favorite to win anyway? I thought it was balanced by such bets giving lower payouts. Why on earth would a yearly sporting event where there was a likely but not guaranteed victor cause ruinous losses for bookies? Wouldn't that exact same situation happen every year they handled bets for the (deathly dull) magic high school olympics? Oh, and nice job making the villainous chinese gangsters literally faceless.

I think the ruinous losses come form the fact that... (wait if they are the bookies can they bet against themselves? Like bet on 3rd high and reap in money? but its probably a zero sum game)

So yeah now that I think about it doesn't make sense unless there's another party they're betting to and they (the chinese) decided to bet on 3rd high winning by sabotaging the other schools.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Monocled Falcon posted:

Well, this series is Tatsuya being looked down on by everyone, so I assume that the payout of his team winning everything are so high it would wipe them out.

But the bookie would consequently put very low odds since everyone knows that 1st high would win. Unless the bookie was really retarded

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Ytlaya posted:

It will always fascinate me how your average crunchyroll commenter seems to like Literally Every Anime. No matter what the show is, it will always have nearly universal positive comments.

Well I figure someone somewhere has to like it otherwise CR would never buy it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
A semi magic action anime where the MC isn't hilariously over powered that I liked was Unbreakable machine doll but it does suffer from MC gaining a harem for no reason at all.

Plus the MC isn't a wimp!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Namtab posted:

Sorry, I meant to say there's a lot of books in this one series. I really have no idea why they're spending so long in this one arc when the next proper arc has Tatsuya's limits being released so that he can go disintegrate the chinese without remorse + nuke them.

Saving it for season 2 we need to pace out killing all the non-japanese people we can

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

pentyne posted:

Summary of stuff

Holy poo poo I thought you were kidding... :smith:

that was so lame, yet season 2 seems guaranteed. :argh:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Cake Attack posted:

I think 2000 is the magic number to be considered successful, so yeah, it's good.

Also lol at the fact that selling 2000 copies is considered a success in the anime industry.

I think 2000 is the break-even "we'll consider making more" number. But yeah its 2000 bluray copies usually, that have like 2 episodes a piece, and they would have to be pants on head retarded not to continue bank rolling it for the cash, unless one of them poo poo cans it because he realises how awful it is He likes money more

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Dreamsicle posted:

I thought if the publisher feels novel sales are satisfactory they won't bother greenlighting another season. It's why Spice and Wolf and Haruhi don't have a Season 3.

That depends I think IIRC Chihayafuru tanked on BD sales but it sold enough Manga to make up for it and it greenlit season 2

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

pentyne posted:

Onto the episode breakdown

The writer of this has a serious axe to grind with modern levels of female clothing exposure and the purity of the noble Japanese compared to everyone and everything else in the world.

Thanks I have that sick fascination of watching a train wreck but I can't stand to watch it. Reading these summaries is fun though !

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Famous smart guy: "Hey what are you doing and how can you be so awesome and perfect?"
Awesome and perfect guy: "Pssh, I don't have time to explain slowly enough that you can understand because I am actually smarter than you, a famous smart guy."
Famous smart guy: "Oh no, I have been owned and am actually very dumb. I will now disappear from existence."
All the girls then gaze adoringly at awesome and perfect guy, but they don't approach him because they aren't like those FILTHY loving WHORES who run around with exposed calves and boyfriends and openly express disdain toward light novels, anime and nationalism.

It kind of breaks down when it goes back to the incest stuff, though.

Wow thanks for spoiling the whole series spoiler tag that poo poo. seriously every single time... If it happened once I would let it slide but noo we have to hear it every single arc and make tatsuya more perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well it is just very boring in that after like 5 episodes you go "literally nothing can stop him" good for villians but not so good for protagonists. There was no tension to be had and any tension that arose felt very artificial because you knew that tatsuya-god will just murder gently caress them.

for christ sakes he can't even die

• Locked thread