Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I'm going to continue watching this to figure out the hype. This is suppose to be massively popular in Japan and after watching the first three episodes I have no idea why. Nothing really happened.

I have no clue what the overarching plot of this could be. Protagonist dude has no personality, even less than most self-insert characters. And what is with that sister character? She basically worships the ground Tatsuya walks on. She can't even take a compliment without getting flustered and pointing out her brother is much better in that area than her. She can't seem to do anything without getting his approval. There's no humor, every interaction is pretty dry, it's not even sleazy as far a fanservice is concerned.

I mean I can see the appeal of Sword Art Online but this? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

"No-one in the world can possibly beat ~onee-sama~; he's so great!"
"Boy yes, I sure am! Look, I came up with this revolutionary theory, implemented it, and thought through the ramifications like a boss!"

*LATER*

"~Onee-sama~, if people got wind of your true power they'd hound you forever!"
"Hm, yes, maybe we should try shutting the gently caress up about how great I am?"
[Together:] "Nahhh."

Pretty much this. Geez, now dude is even agreeing with his sister that he is so awesome. He even invented a technique that could possibly upend the power structure of society if word ever got out but he's so awesome that he already thought of that. If feel like if this were a better series those two would be the villains. And I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of the "we're in love.....just kidding!" gag in this series.

Also, what is with the character design for that school nurse?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Here is a fairly tame but unnecessarily lengthy example, picked from a random chapter of a random book. It might not seem that bad, but this sort of passage is frequent enough that it gets kind of creepy.

Not as bad as the Index LNs.

quote:

Index’s actions must have sent out a very serious signal, because a blonde flight attendant with a nice body came running over. Index was still too focused on pushing all the buttons, so Kamijou was forced to bow in apology in her stead.

I highlight this passage because here they establish that this flight attendant has a nice body but the writer really really wanted to highlight that every chance he got.

quote:

The blonde flight attendant with a nice body must have heard their conversation, because she came walking down the aisle and spoke to them in polite Japanese.

quote:

Kamijou spun around and found the blonde flight attendant with a nice body standing there.

quote:

It seemed the blonde flight attendant with a nice body was waiting for someone while she held Kamijou down.

quote:

The blonde flight attendant with a nice body had given her a cheap ball-like toy because she was getting mad about the in-flight meal not arriving. It was probably a type of gift and it made a whistling sound when squeezed.

quote:

If it really was Index, who was with her? It was possible she had been captured by the blonde flight attendant with a nice body

quote:

Kamijou looked over at Index who was being held by the blonde flight attendant with a nice body and tossed the bar to the side.

quote:

The blonde flight attendant with a nice body looked at the pilot in shock after hearing that.

quote:

(The captain appeared to be in a bad mood and unwilling to speak to Kamijou, so the blonde flight attendant with a nice body had relayed that information to him.)

quote:

The blonde flight attendant with a nice body was shocked when she looked out the window while walking down a business class aisle.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

It's true that the writer chose to create a character whose primary feature is her "nice body" but I don't see it as any different linguistically from calling someone "the bald fat guy" over and over again.

And to be perfectly honest, flight attendants and other service industry workers are often hired for their appearance.

Well there is no need to differentiate one flight attendant from the other as no other flight attendants are introduced in that part of the story. So just "flight attendant" would have been fine or even "blond flight attendant". I mean look at this..

quote:

The blonde flight attendant with a nice body had given her a cheap ball-like toy because she was getting mad about the in-flight meal not arriving. It was probably a type of gift and it made a whistling sound when squeezed.

It didn’t sound like it was being voluntarily squeezed. The sound came at defined intervals as if it were in someone’s pocket and rubbing up against their body as they walked.

If the toy really was a prize given for collecting a certain number of airline points, Index wouldn’t necessarily be the only person with one, but Kamijou still thought of the girl wearing the plain dress.

If it really was Index, who was with her? It was possible she had been captured by the blonde flight attendant with a nice body.

This is from the same passage. It's not like there was a need to reestablish who is being referred to here.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 1, 2014

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Oh my god this show is so boring. Not since K-On have I watched so much of a show that bored me as much as this one did. I completely checked out. I can't even remember what the entire terrorist attack is even about and I don't even care to.

• Locked thread