Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Having already read most of the translated LN stuff, I can say that this whole thing is a wankfest. Terrible if you want something of substance, okay if all you want to do is fap at something, more specifically, GLORIOUS NIPPON and the terrible messages its media can produce at times (incest may sound fun and all, but the reality is you get backwoods hillbillies and health issues like hemophilia). Seriously, there's better places for fanservice or whatever un-ironic enjoyment you're getting out of this. The only reason you should be reading/watching this is to laugh at how hilariously bad it is. I know I got a good kick out of it. I'm surprised that the editors even allowed this garbage to be published, let alone made into manga/anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
WickedHate, stop deluding yourself in trying to justify how good it is. The only way it can be good is how good someone can make fun of it, and that's only because how terrible it is. In between "justified" human experimentation, Nihon-wanking, xenophobia, and incest fanservice, there is really little going on for it that can't be gotten elsewhere and in better qualities. I'd rather watch Chrome Shelled Regios, and that's a terrible show by my standards. In fact, I'd say the only reason it got published at all and then later turned into an anime is the same reason Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There got published: shameless nationalism pandering.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Namtab, you make this thread that much better with your well thought out words of wisdom and analysis of this terrifically bad piece of work (I don't think it actually qualifies as any type of literature). Between your analysis and Wickedhate's terrible opinions, I constantly check back to see what new hilarity has recently developed. Also, no this really doesn't get any better, it's just a continuous roll downhill on this mountain of poo poo. Between this and Gate, I think we're pretty much covered on right wing nationalist works.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
This is to guys as Twilight is to girls. That's all you need to understand to know why this thing is so popular. Of course, people who actually praise this piece of garbage instead of seeing it as the terrible waste it is gets nothing but contempt from me, just like people who praise Twilight.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I watched Oreimo too and I guess I feel like you do with Mahouka. It wasn't really interesting and had dull plots and characters. Mahouka does those things a lot better.

I think the appropriate response is already given:

The Sandman posted:

We've already established that your taste is objectively poo poo. There's no need to reaffirm it for us.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Better depth and motivation, a more engaging story that feels more real then the story in Oreimo, and a better idea of what it wants to be and do.

I really want to know where you find this "depth" and "motivation". Miyuki's only character point is she's ridiculously obsessed with her brother, which also provides all her motivation. Tatsuya's only character point is that he's also obsessed with his sibling, though not to the same degree. As above, his motivation is also his obsession. I just summed up all you need to know about the two main characters, outside of their Deus Ex Machina powers that obliterates everything in sight. As for a more "real" story than Oreimo, first of all this is a techno-magic science fiction world, and second of all I seriously doubt you'll ever be able to meet a real person that can be summed up as quick as I've summed up the two main characters. I will give you that the story has a better idea of it wants to be and do: be as nationalist as gently caress and show that the author's opinion is superior to anyone else's via projection onto Gary Stu and his hax powers. All this means though is that the writer is terrible and can't be bothered to put in real plot development outside of "evil forces not in line with my opinions causes problems, proceed to annihilate them with god powers and get all their women."

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Get their women? This is a setting where having a child with anything but another magical thoroughbred is essentially miscegenation and the chinese are unequivocally inferior to any japanese. The chinese have an insatiable hunger for genetically pure japanese women, but the reverse isn't true here. Also, adding any chinese women to Woody's harem would require including a chinese character whose sole purpose in life isn't bringing down glorious nippon.

As far as I can tell, there's no Chinese women who want to be in Woody's harem, but from the images and plot summaries of some of the later volumes, it looks like an American is coming over for exchange studies, and obviously will end up in the harem because that's how it goes. Throw in something about America trying to reclaim their defector, Woody blowing up US troops, and there you go, "beat them up and get all their women."

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Counterpoint to the whole fleshed out as character thing: I've read 8 volumes of this drek and I can barely remember any of the character's name outside of the nicknames I give them. At least with Korean Webtoons it's because their names are usually ridiculously complex. Here I just don't bother remembering them, period, because of how bland they are. By the way, who are those two again?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

WickedHate posted:

By that I mean how the characters come together and engage each other, like Tatsuya and Erika's conversation this last episode, Mikhiko meeting Mizuki, or the way Miyuki deals with her feelings for Tatsuya and how Tatsuya goes through life with his condition, and the unique perspective it gives him.

Another show that had characters done well like this was Evangelion, but in a different way due to the nature and themes that were prevalent in it's cast but the "realness" of them was there. Kyokai No Kanata too, in a more similar example.

Wow, you must be on :catdrugs: or something. You can't even begin comparing Evangelion characters to Mahouka characters, outside of the fact that they're both anime characters. Mahouka characters are far from "real," and if they really are, I would like you to cite volume, chapter, page, and paragraph of when they become "real." At best, they're caricatures of certain archetypes, such as "male power fantasy," "doting/obsessive sibling," "genki girl," and so forth. In contrast, you can probably write a lengthy analysis of each major character in Evangelion, such as Shinji's desire to be accepted while at the same time rejecting close contact with other people, and how it stems from his abandonment issues. You should probably read some more real literature, such as one of those summer reading lists made by NPR, before proclaiming that this is such a great show/light novel with fantastic depth and amazing character and plot developments.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

You should also compare Twilight sales records if you're going to pull that up, since they're about equal in literary quality by my opinion.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You'd be hard-pressed to find one, otherwise there actually might be tension and, *gasp*, possibly even worthwhile plot! But seriously, no, all the enemies that you see are either people that needs to be "educated" of their folly or just mooks. Named mooks perhaps, but still just mooks.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It doesn't matter if the LN has good ideas or not, it's simply the fact that the author is absolute poo poo at writing. There has been plenty of OP stoic/cold characters in fantastic stories, like the previously mentioned Ping Pong and Hokuto no Ken. The author just can't write anything better than a 13 year old fangirl trying to express her homo-erotic Harry-Snape fantasies across the internet. Even if it's a fan translation, it still doesn't stop it from being poorly written.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
All the good ones has already been made into anime/manga/other mediums already. It seems like they're scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

... is this what writing fanfiction feels like? :ohdear:

No, it's what writing garbage feels like. It doesn't matter if it's original fiction or fanfiction, bad writing is bad, and when it's bad it's terrible.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Namtab posted:

I'm just pitching in to say that Leo is officially and objectively the Best Character and Miyuki is the Worst Character.

This is a trap, the story is terrible and thus none of the characters are worth anything. If you absolutely had to rank them, you need to remember to qualify them as "Best of a shitheap" and "Shittiest of the shitheap" instead of characters.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
But katanas are the best swords ever, right up there with lightsabers! Obviously a derivative of the fighting style must be superior of everything else. :japan:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I would try to ask which part of Korea he nuked, but then I realize that this author just doesn't give a gently caress and would nuke South Korea just as readily as North.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

What it really even matter?

Technically speaking, since Japan is allies with the US, just like South Korea, they shouldn't be making aggressive moves towards South Korea. However, in Satou-land, it doesn't matter because GLORIOUS NIPPON is superior to everyone and can nuke poo poo with impunity.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Darth Walrus, you had it right when you said that there shouldn't be a single reason to watch Mahouka ever. Everything you can get out of mocking it, you can get by reading this thread, and without the terrible influence and waste of time the show would be on you. Of course, Jojo just makes it even less likely you should ever watch this garbage, but hey, not everyone is as enlightened as you are.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Out of curiosity I read some of the spin-off mangas. If anything it's even worse, as it takes the sister's incest creepiness and cranks it up another notch (if that's at all possible).

This is simply a pile of poo poo. If it was a trainwreck like Freezing, at least it'd be horrifying but fascinating, but in this case I can't drop it fast enough.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Freezing is fascinating in its art. In no way will I ever support Im Dal Young as a writer of any sort. However, I fully support his artist, Kim Kwang Hyun. Reading Freezing is like reading one of those men's magazine: you don't pick it up for its riveting articles, but for the pics inside. This is why I compare it to a train wreck: you know it's terrible, but you just can't look away (because of the eye-candy).

Unfortunately, Irregular has no redeeming feature whatsoever, since the majority of it is bland as hell, have just as terrible messages if not worse, and doesn't even have the decency of having enough eye-candy to distract you from its terribleness.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Does he even have a weakness? I mean, he pretty much can reset his state from last healthy state. Throw him into lava and he'll just constant load state while slowly crawling out. Asphyxiation wouldn't work either as he'd just load state of when he was not suffocating. Attempting to one-shot him was already proven to be impossible thanks to his sister accidentally killing him or something, that scene was pretty confusing. I think the only way to reliably kill him is to eliminate him entirely from the space-time continuum. Barring that, perhaps launching him into a black hole so he's trapped within the the event horizon would probably be a safe second bet as far as getting him out of the way.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Can Chuck Norris kill Chuck Norris? Because that's what we're dealing here: genuine Chuck Norris vs. Japanese Chuck Norris with magic. The genuine part would beat the Japanese part any day of the week ('Murican superiority), but the magic part makes it kinda iffy.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Edward IV posted:

By the power of the internets and memes, Chuck Norris can beat anyone that he is required to defeat no matter the odds or circumstances. :colbert:

Guess this is true. The power of internet and memes are so magical that even Japanese Magical Self-Insert Chuck Norris can't defeat the divinity that 100% American Chuck Norris has achieved, and thus is crushed under the power of memes and Chuck Norris jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Is it even possible to spoil poo poo? This show and its source already stinks to high heavens, I don't think it's possible to spoil it any worse (other than warning off people that worse poo poo is coming).

• Locked thread