Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unfortunately, this show is a bit too disgusting to watch for humor value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shakugan posted:

Has there ever been an ADTRW discussion about the whole sister romance thing that is so prevalent in Japanese media? Bizarre fetishes aren't uncommon, but I'm really not sure why this particular one is so widespread. It's basically a cultural fetish.

Sisters are girls who live in your house. That seems to be the logic. The low birth rate probably helps matters.

From a more psychological point of view, the idea is related to "I'm know I'm a nice guy, but no one gives me a chance." They think the reason they don't have a girlfriend isn't because they're incredibly boring people, but instead because no girl has been forced to spend enough time with them to realize how nice they are. Therefore someone you grew up with is logically going to love you (ie: the childhood friend fetish), and a sister even moreso since they're "basically a childhood friend who won't move away".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wouldn't call that "highlighting it" so much as that's the character's nickname for this person he doesn't know the name of. Probably sounded shorter and less awkward in Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

It would be better if there was a "flight attendant with an even nicer body" so that at least you got kind of a short joke out of it. Otherwise it sounds like you're needlessly sexualizing a nameless, faceless side character.

It's true that the writer chose to create a character whose primary feature is her "nice body" but I don't see it as any different linguistically from calling someone "the bald fat guy" over and over again.

And to be perfectly honest, flight attendants and other service industry workers are often hired for their appearance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, to use my same example again, there's no need to say "the bald fat guy" when it's unlikely that there's another bald guy or another fat guy in the story. However, they can be connected into a single descriptive phrase that rolls off the tongue and becomes the character's nickname in the narration. I would say this sort of thing only stands out because writing it in English is quite long and awkward. I would call it a bad translation rather than bad writing.

• Locked thread