Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rvm
May 6, 2013
So I've managed to finish the first arc and I must say, wow, this cartoon somehow manages to be bland and offensive at the same time. Like, you watch it trying not to fall asleep while a question lingers in your slowly melting brain: "What in the heck is wrong with people who produced this thing?"

I mean, okay, you don't like egalitarianism and favor slow, methodical change from within the system to the violent revolution from without. There are many valid arguments to be made for this, yet, the author resort to comically blatant straw man for some reason.

Also, there are ways to make overpowered MC work: for example, focusing on how terrible bad guys are, making the audience look forward to the inevitable comeuppance, etc. But most importantly, the rule "show, don't tell" is especially relevant to this kind of stories. For instance, if SAO focused on showing how awesome Kirito is via action scenes which the anime, for all its problems, excels at, instead of making supporting characters tell us about it all the friggin' time, it would be one of the best action anime in years.

This anime, however, choses probably the least interesting way to go about it: MC has to hide his true power plus it apparently can't be measured via conventional means.

And I can't overstate how bland and joyless it is. It reminds of the bad angsty shoujo, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread