Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Honestly it's a rough tossup between creepy fanservice shows and shows that pander to right wing otakus with terrible nationalist stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wark Say posted:

I know it's silly to enjoy the work of a voice actor to that extent, but goddamn does he make his efforts to be entertaining. Battle Tendency was basically my favorite anime in 2013 in great part thanks to him and, while Unshou Ishizuka is doing a great job as Old Joseph in Stardust Crusaders, I still think Sugita completely owned that character.

The fact that he sounds like he's always having a blast only further cements it.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy Sugita. There is no such thing as enjoying Sugita antics too much. He's just such a great dude and has the best voices

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Edward IV posted:

I know this is an old post but I've been slowly going through this thread for the pure :magical: but this really stands out to me.

Being Chinese and having living relatives that survived Japanese occupation during World War II, I find Japanese nationalism repugnant and the novel's/show's portrayal of the Chinese disgusting and tasteless. Yet, I'm surprised if this quote is actually true because I've never figured that mainland Chinese had a sense of humor let alone enough of one to mockingly enjoy the show. I figured they'd be just as offended as I am. Maybe it's because I'm also an American who can be easily offended.

As a Korean I can confirm this anime has caused people to write crap ton of poo poo. Hell there's like really long page compiling why this show is crap, why it's nationalistic and why it's terrible. Some are amused by the terribleness of the anime and others (majority) loving loathe it and despise it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wish I lived your world mate. I guess it requires a certain event in the LN I've heard about to be shown in the anime to actually convince you of the nationalistic aspects

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, like that gives you the moral high ground. And explains quite a bit. Either that or you're a very elaborate troll.

And while we're chipping away at your identity, did your family emigrate to the United States before or after World War II? If the former, did they face persecution or sent to an internment camp during the war? What are your thoughts on the Nanjing Massacre? The Bataan Death March? The Alexandra Hospital massacre?

And don't think that because I'm Chinese American I ignore and hand waved the corruption of the Qing Dynasty, the Nationalists mishandling of World War II, the purges of Communist China, and various other dark moments in Chinese history. Frankly, I'm ashamed of various parts of American history as well.

And Ytlaya's post more or less falls in line with my feelings on how this light novel and anime are portraying its antagonists. What the author has done here is tasteless, disrespectful, and highlights his poor ability to write in general; let alone write realistic, interesting, and multidimensional antagonists in a world and story that is meant to be taken seriously assuming that that was his intention.

That isn't to say you should stop with these discussions because this is just so entertaining. And you seriously linked an article from Sankaku Complex? Troll or not, you're entertaining all right. :allears:

It's too bad that so many other people are eating this poo poo up. :negative:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Don't forget Unit 731 as well.

Like the past history between Japan and China would make this anime insensitive at the least and loving nationalistic and xenophobic at the worst. I still don't get how someone doesn't see this as insensitive

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The show says that the chinese are bad guys, so obviously that is true. Interpreting a work of fiction further than repeating the lines verbatim just means you are trying too hard.

Truly we are the tryhards. Also for a moment I thought you were being serious there. Poe's law makes things difficult.

Edward IV posted:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Well at least in Korea this show is pretty much shunned and only the foolishly drunk and mad write reviews about each episode where you see their sanity slipping more and more through each review.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You're not exactly in a position to make fun of other people in this thread. You never did address the "it's hosed up for Japan to write fiction with China as an evil antagonist given the history between the two countries" point. A Chinese American poster even said "yeah, it's really insensitive/disrespectful." How exactly is it different from the "German protagonists fighting Jewish antagonists" comparison I made? Like I mentioned, the existence of (in the analogy) German Jew sympathizers doesn't exactly make things better.

If this show introduces some large faction of not-evil/stupid Chinese people, then I might reconsider (somewhat*). But as is it's seriously loving ridiculous.

*Even then it would just go from "holy poo poo this is awful" nationalism/racism to "bad American right-wing fiction where there are some good (insert enemy ethnicity) people."

It doesn't seem to matter who tells him what really. I'm a Korean dude who just said this is hosed up and it doesn't seem to matter. It's us that is overreacting and looking too deep into it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I watched Oreimo too and I guess I feel like you do with Mahouka. It wasn't really interesting and had dull plots and characters. Mahouka does those things a lot better.

Better in what way?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Better depth and motivation, a more engaging story that feels more real then the story in Oreimo, and a better idea of what it wants to be and do.

seriously dude where the hell are you getting the depth and engaging part from this show? How is this even physically possible to be engaging?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

There's a lot of good things besides that stuff. Cool magic, neat and interesting characters, relationships, and interactions, and an engaging plotline and setting.

What kinda of parallel world are you living in I wonder

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Desuwa posted:

Funny, Mahouka is one of the few anime that's been panned everywhere I've seen it discussed, not just here. Even /a/, which is usually tolerant of incest garbage, seems to lack anything good to say about it. There's even a good parody involving Tatsuya explaining how money works to a cashier kicking around. I should probably go back and look for it, I think it deserves to be posted here.

Seriously I have seen it criticized in /a/, reddit and other places. Hell /a/ seems to lose its poo poo every time a new episode is out due to how loving terrible each episode seems to get

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

korrandark posted:

Except in Japan. Which is all that really matters. No one in this thread has spent a penny on any of the light novels, manga, or the anime. His Japanese readers have been buying his stuff in droves for years, why would he change anything if his stuff is insanely popular?

My opinion is that the show isn't very good, but I'm not gonna criticize someone who likes it. The fact that this thread is currently as big as the Ping Pong, Mushi-shi, and the Haikyuu and Baby Steps threads combined is shameful.

Amusingly I've seen translated posts of 2ch going. "wait this poo poo is popular why?" and "okay someone explain why the hell this was even popular" so even people there are baffled.

I honestly think the sales of this show won't be that great.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Well yeah the LN sold well, thats why it got adapted

Im talking about the sales of the show. I just dont think it will do that well let alone break even. Maybe its a forlorn hope but thats how i feel

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

aers posted:

Its tracking to sell more than fine. Sorry!

Reality is a cruel mistress

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Namtab posted:

I apologise to everyone for posting the quote

Where the hell am I supposed to get my entertainment now. You are the true monster

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's hilariously awful and I highly (don't) encourage people to read up on it.

Glop.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

So this is what I sounded like. :shepface:

How does it feel?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

Everything posted about the author makes him look like the anime violence obsessed Ayn Rand.

Boring violence too

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

There's one way for OP characters to work and that's Saitama in One Punch Man.

Sadly this anime does exactly the opposite of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

god drat it we already convinced wicked hate this show was bad, now we need to convince him Girls und Panzer is good?

Because Girls und Panzer is good.

We have a long road ahead of us

• Locked thread