Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MrCinos posted:

Wow at such negativity in the thread. So far the first three episodes were quite good. This is the only anime this season which caught my interest. Admittedly, only because I've read a few volumes of the original.

I really liked magic system which the author incorporated in his story, some of the spells will be used quite creatively (my personal favorite is a barrier guy). Socially adept version of Sagara Sousuke (FMP) as a main character is also a good point in my book. And for all the "Gary Stu"-ness of main character, he would still have a few close calls in the series. Too bad that most of the comedy would probably be lost due to the absence of Tatsuya's thought process, but such is a reality of almost all LN/VN adaptations.

I looked through this thread because I was curious if anyone would actually say anything positive about this show, and I was not disappointed.

What a bad show. Usually really bad shows have the caveat "but I still would have liked it when I was 15," (like Love Hina or something) but I think that even my 15 year old self would have thought this was dull and been creeped out by the main character's sister.

I will admit that the main character crosses a line where he's such a blatant Gary Stu that it becomes kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Desuwa posted:

Also the story is downright inconsistent. This is supposed to be the high school for the magical elite, and the Course 1 students are just the best of the best and the Course 2 students are the second best. But then Course 2 students aren't even given magical instruction, and now some of them can't do magic in general? At the magical high school for the top students in the country? It's like the entire country is pooling resources into the top 1% while making the second percent watch.

Yeah, this also occurred to me. The Class 2 people should still be elite, just slightly less elite.

To be honest, your description of the fourth episode being even worse actually makes me want to watch it more. There's really bad shows (like that one about the guy who has multiple choice questions pop up in his daily life), but this is more offensively bad than just generic.

edit: I just started watching episode 4, and the main character seemed really interested in this Jyumonji guy's rock-hard body

Hahahaha, the main character literally says this: "and they deceive others, as well as themselves, with their sweet-sounding concepts, such as equality."

Yeah, pretty sure that this show is not against elitism

Actually, this show has made me wonder about something. Are otaku in Japan more or less right-wing than the average citizen?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 1, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, there is one genuinely surprising fact about Tatsuya's harem, that I will put in spoilers because it is so wildly improbable that no one would ever think of it on their own. The glasses girl with the big tits? She doesn't ever fall madly in love with Tatsuya.

Is she gay? That might explain it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, the ultra-nationalist who wanks about how awesome the military and the rich are is going to include a positive portrayal of a homosexual. I'm surprised the nefarious chinese who are determined to bring down glorious nippon aren't all gay.

Well, it's okay for girls to be gay as it's only there to titillate the viewer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Here is a fairly tame but unnecessarily lengthy example, picked from a random chapter of a random book. It might not seem that bad, but this sort of passage is frequent enough that it gets kind of creepy.

It sort of reminds me of the way food is described in food manga like Shokugeki no Souma.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

organism posted:

Just to clear up some of the ideological stuff that has been poorly explained in the anime, Blanche's argument is that it's unfair that magician's are automatically given preferential status in society because of natural born talents. Tatsuya's objection is that the preferential treatment is not guaranteed because, despite inborn talent, it actually takes a lot of education and hard work to make that talent useful and it's only after all that work that magician's are given preferential treatment. Which holds true for any profession really. Just because someone has a talent for math or sports doesn't mean they automatically become a top scientist or athlete.

None of that changes the fact that a large portion (most?) of the population would never have those opportunities to begin with. It's like saying that it's okay for white people to be richer/more successful than minorities because they still have to work hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

Imagine being born to a rich family, and you want to start up as a florist or someshit, but you can't because your bloodline dictates that your career options include:
-Soldier
-Doctor

Sure, the majority of the population can't be doctors, but they have a lot more than two or three career pathways.

While it's not ideal to not have the freedom to do whatever you want, it's still pretty much a "first world problem" compared with the multitude of non-magic-talented individuals who presumably have to deal with things like poverty/unemployment. The "Class 1" people in this show certainly don't seem to be upset about their situation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This show is turning into a conservative chain e-mail.

edit: No matter how much they're trying to make us view this organization as the bad guys, they still come off as the underdogs who are forced to use guns and gas bombs against loving literal wizards.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 6, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What can the school do if they are already getting as many teachers as they can? It's like asking a farmer to harvest crop from a field that's already barren.

Like Desuwa says, it's absurd that there are supposedly only enough teachers in the entire country for half of one high school.

And like Srice said, it's the author's choice to create a setting where elitism is justified and those who oppose it are dumb strawmen. Given the infinite possible plots/worlds he could have created, he chose to go with one where at least some degree of segregation is morally justified.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Most people are fine with The Dark Knight Rises basically doing the exact same thing.

Like another poster said, a lot of people actually did have a problem with that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

Really? This anime shits all over left-wing politics so it's a bit of a surprise that this one slipped under their censorship radar.

It's not even left-wing politics that it shits over; it shits over much more milquetoast liberal ideas like "people shouldn't be discriminated against." It doesn't really go into said discrimination being a fundamental part of their economic system.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Srice posted:

But joking about the deplorable views aside, it's not a flaw because it doesn't impede him in any way. 5 episodes in and he hasn't even been mildly inconvenienced by it! It's a fake flaw, basically.

It's like people who say "I tend to focus too much on the details" when asked about their weakness in job interviews.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?

I laughed out loud at this.

I wish I could chalk it up to a bad translation, but I'm guessing that that LN excerpt was also nothing but the author getting up on a soapbox in the original as well.

edit: There is one thing that was unironically pretty good; that fight scene with the ninja dude in the first episode was kind of neat, even if it served no purpose other than to show what a badass martial artist Tatsuya is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 8, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

My main gripe with the show is that there's too much Gary Stu and not enough seito kaichou :colbert:

? Student president?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I'd call it "student council meetings: the show,"

Maybe college republican meetings instead?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

as a magic user i am oppressed because

They do a bake sale where they charge Course 1 students more for cupcakes.

edit: Actually it would be better if just Tatsuya did a bake sale and the Course 2 students realized just how unfair they've been to the Course 1 students and broke into tears at this realization and then Tatsuya smugly took a bite out of one of the cupcakes

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 9, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

He's not that bad aside from the tranquil personality.

Well, and the right-wing politics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In short, jesus loving christ Satou. Get help.

I'm not sure if "being a right-wing jackass who dehumanizes foreigners" really counts as a mental illness.

edit: I was just wondering something. Will the writer of an LN that is adapted into an anime like this benefit significantly financially from the adaptation? I'm sure they do pretty well, but is it the sort of thing that would actually make them rich?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 10, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Granted, Miyuki then goes on to say "How dare my brother, who is unparalleled at academia, the arts, and magic, be compared to the plants in our garden?" and has a magic tantrum, but right after Tatsuya comments that the system might reflect the pride of those with gifted talents, and Miyuki says "Children, do not let your pride turn you into a self righteous, inconsiderate little mongrel".

Isn't this like saying "Sure, some people are flat-out better and more talented than others, but they shouldn't be inconsiderate or self-righteous because of it!"

This makes me think of people who say "_____ isn't racist because not *all* black people in it are bad/dumb! Maybe it's just a coincidence that most of the black people in it are portrayed negatively!"

edit: I don't know if I said this earlier in this thread, but while this show isn't "so bad it's good," I do have to admit that it's "so bad it's interesting."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CVE posted:

So in summarization I think he just said that Magicians work just as hard as regular people and their bigger paycheck comes from their work being more valueable for society. Now you can be against it but that's pretty much how things work in our society as well.

Haha what, no it isn't. Our society isn't anything even remotely approaching a meritocracy. If you think it is, then you must also think that the huge discrepancy between the income and wealth of white and black people is that white people are just more valuable to society.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CVE posted:

Of course other stuff influences it as well unfortunately but at least part of it is based on the "estimated value" of their work to society. Even if it were a complete meritocracy we still would probably lose something else for it. It's never as easy as it seems and I apologize if I offended anyone with my carelessly chosen words and naivety about that part of society/ talking about it in a black and white fashion

It's not so much that it's offensive; it's more that "being like the real world" isn't exactly a good way to defend the series against much of what people are saying in this thread. Actually, the fact that a lot of the ideology in the show mimics reality is probably the main reason why people are noticing it and calling it out in the first place. We recognize that the opinions and rationale expressed by Tatsuya is similar to that used by right-wing people in the real world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, apparently there's a new episode!

At least it had a couple decent fight scenes? The "what you thought was discrimination really wasn't!" thing with Mibu is a really lame way to avoid having to actually address a serious issue.

edit: vvvvv As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, it was the author's choice to have "a bunch of people are upset about discrimination but they're actually mistaken and it's not a major issue" as part of the story he wrote.

As a somewhat (but not very) exaggerated analogy - just so the point is clear - it's like if you wrote a story where a bunch of people are angry about perceived discrimination towards black people, despite said discrimination not actually existing (or being exaggerated), and use that to manipulate them into committing acts of terrorism. What you're doing is sort of like someone saying "well, in the story they really aren't unfairly discriminated against!" You can't completely isolate a work from the society and political climate in which it was created.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least Bella wasn't in love with her brother.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

People keep bringing up race as the main thing in discrimination, but I don't think that makes much sense given the context for a work from a very mono-ethnic society about a high-stakes educational system. From what I understand the Japanese job market tends to be extremely centered around educational pedigree, and getting into the right school/program is far more determinative of where you end up in the social hierarchy than it is in the West (not to say that it's irrelevant in the West, but if you end up demonstrating talent or success outside of the educational system people won't really care about the school you went to). Furthermore, once you get on a certain "track" of schools, it's harder to switch to a better one because the reputation of the school you previously went to weighs you down, and on the other side some "escalator" schools will take you all the way through college no matter what once you get in, unless you burn the place down or something. In the US, outside of a few places like Sidwell Friends I doubt very many people (or even most college admittance offices) have a clue about the reputation of high schools, let alone middle or elementary schools, and even those are mostly only known locally.

In that light, a Japanese show about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them is likely to be about the lock-in effects of educational tracks and the resultant attitudes of those assigned to them, and not about race relations in America. Tatsuya's beef is "the entrance tests don't capture what makes me special," not "total lock-in is a bad idea," but it is still at least a mild criticism of a seriously messed up system, if one loaded down by the author's ability to drain the interest out of any conflict and inability to open a character's mouth without placing it squarely on the MC's crotch.

I was bringing up race mainly as an example of "people being disenfranchised for something they have no or little control over." In the case of this show, it's magical aptitude (given what we've seen that indicates it's largely inherited). While there have been arguments that it's somehow not preferable to be good at magic (since the government forces you to do certain jobs), the show has been pretty damned clear that people would much rather be good at magic than not. It's sort of like a lawyer or doctor in the real world telling a poor person "hey, being rich isn't that great! we sometimes have to work hard!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Clicking random threads wins again. I did not expect this thread to be ADTRW Attempts to Teach WickedHate Basic College Level Reading Skills.

Is WickedHate even in college? I know the vast majority of posters on the SA forums are college age or older, but I'd feel like a dick if we've been harping on some 15 year old for his reading comprehension skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ Clearly she is simply upset because she has ovarian cancer and is upset that her brother refuses to face the reality of the situation and continues to insist that she is, in fact, a man.

Paracelsus posted:

There are tons of dumb and offensive things in the series*, but I don't think any of them are really as offensive as "blacks just aren't as talented/hard-working" the way the comparison would frame it.

*Especially the shoulder-emblem thing, I mean holy poo poo even if you're going to have the classes split having a constant and obvious visual signal of that separation is guaranteed to produce the sort of "don't mix with those people" behavior we saw from the Class 1 students. At least let the students mix during lunch and activities without telling them up-front who's in and who's out. Regardless of whether there's a dumb in-universe reason for why that started, letting it continue would be unconscionable.
Magical talent is presumably actually relevant to doing magic though, in a way that race isn't relevant to job performance. If a trait like that is heritable, you can say that it's not fair in the big scheme of things, but you can't get those without the aptitude to do magic and it would be stupid to not have those with the aptitude make use of it, so you're stuck with an unequal situation because sometimes life isn't fair. Not everyone has the genetics to develop great muscles, and that sort of thing is heritable, and that's just the way it is.

Furthermore, I doubt that magic is actually the only way to be able to vote or achieve wealth and power in fantasy Japan, so calling it "disenfranchisement" seems a bit of a stretch.

I think your issue is more with the race analogy being an exaggeration than with it being a wrong analogy. Race can just be replaced with family wealth to fix the issues you seem to have with it. People from wealthier families are often legitimately more qualified simply because they had access to a superior education and a more healthy childhood. But a Tatsuya equivalent in the real world would say that this isn't something worth being upset about and that the children of the wealthy still deserve to be more successful. Such a viewpoint is admittedly less bad than someone who believes minorities are inferior or something, but it's still reprehensible.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 13, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I do tend to separate the "equitably deserve" aspect of success from the "economically justified" aspect of success, so YMMV on how bad the MC's position comes across.

What do you mean by "economically justified"? Not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just not sure what you're saying here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edward IV posted:

I know this is an old post but I've been slowly going through this thread for the pure :magical: but this really stands out to me.

Being Chinese and having living relatives that survived Japanese occupation during World War II, I find Japanese nationalism repugnant and the novel's/show's portrayal of the Chinese disgusting and tasteless. Yet, I'm surprised if this quote is actually true because I've never figured that mainland Chinese had a sense of humor let alone enough of one to mockingly enjoy the show. I figured they'd be just as offended as I am. Maybe it's because I'm also an American who can be easily offended.

No, you're clearly misinterpreting the show. It is only a coincidence that the enemies are Chinese. Unless it explicitly states that literally every Chinese person alive is evil you can't say it's nationalist!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, considering this show/LN series was written in Japan (which has a bit of a bad history with China) and has a protagonist that apparently slaughters thousands of Chinese people while being portrayed almost entirely in a positive light, I'm inclined to think that it is quite nationalist.

It's not like a character has to say "BY THE WAY, Japan should pursue the revival of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and slaughter all who stand in her way. They should do this because the Japanese people are inherently superior to all lesser races." to make it have a nationalist tone.

edit: Just to be clear, this is hardly something unique to this anime or Japan. Most AAA shooters or military thrillers made in the West are also incredibly nationalist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Well how exactly do you define nationalism and would it still be nationalist if it was Canada instead?

I would consider pretty much any plot that involves the home country being portrayed as "good" and another country being portrayed as "bad" in a black/white fashion nationalist. The more of a strawman the enemy country is, the more nationalist the story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Yes, but it's not saying the Japanese are inherently better from being Japanese.

The series doesn't have to explicitly say "Every single Japanese person is good and superior to every single Chinese person" to be nationalist or racist.

WickedHate posted:

Black and white how, exactly? There are bad Japanese characters, and it only seems like the Chinese government is antagonistic.

I guess if you're definition of nationalist is "there's an antagonistic country" then I suppose it is, but that's really broad.

If there's an antagonistic country that is portrayed as being comically evil (and a home country that is shown in an almost universally positive light or at least not a negative one), that's pretty nationalist. The real world is rarely so black and white.

Other posters also already mentioned the fact that the bad Japanese characters were working for China (or even worse, mind-controlled).

tonberrytoby posted:

A better comparison to Japan vs. China would be USA vs. Native Americans or USA vs. Afro-Americans.
Generally I certainly would say that a work that has an author or main character from a culture that has historically oppressed another culture, the presentation of that other culture should conform to a slightly higher standard. For Japanese that would be Chinese, Koreans and Ainu.

To be fair, this would only really work if Native Americans or Afro-Americans vastly outnumbered whites and had a drastically larger economy and more powerful military. But yeah, the fact that the Japanese committed atrocities against the Chinese makes it worse than if it were, say, Canada instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

You actually think there's faults? Let's hear them.

I don't think he ever denied the incest stuff, at least.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

It's been a day, let's have some more book content.
I...I think tatsuya's a robot.

Also because Yoshida Mikihiko has managed to surprise our lord and master Tatsuya he's probably going to be a key character.
Sorry.

I wonder how good the quality of writing is in Japanese. We know that the translation is bad, but I wonder if it sounds just as stilted and dull in the original.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm assuming those people are from some other magic high school? Don't their arm symbols look different?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

2000 years from now archeologists will uncover this light novel and it will basically be the next Beowulf

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo, I didn't notice that there's a new episode.

Watching this now, and I seriously can't help but root for these terrorists. There isn't any tension when the protagonists are given access to a huge array of powerful magical abilities while the antagonists just have guns.

edit: Holy poo poo, they're dismembering these poor fucks now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was it implied that Tatsuya prevented the people Miyuki froze from dying? She starts to say something to Tatsuya and then he goes "It's alright" and one of the guys she froze comes out on a stretcher. If she really intended to kill all those guys just because they dared to lay a hand on ONII-SAMA that's pretty hosed up.

vvv It has 14 pages largely because it's so stunningly bad. Unlike most stereotypical bad anime, however, it also has right-wing politics!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 20, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

i recently rewatched oreshura several months ago someone kill me

I think what separates this show from stuff like your average harem rom-com is the right-wing politics/nationalism. I haven't really seen anything else that combines the harem/incest stuff with terrible political views.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

The books clear this up. Basically she magically freezes them so fast that their cells don't rupture.

However, Onii-sama is the merciful one, she totes intended to kill them.

So what exactly did Tatsuya do? Safely thaw them out?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If you really want to be depressed, try reading the crunchyroll comments. Those people like literally every single anime. I think every single show on that website is rated > 4 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Orange? She's a nice person, she deserves a better life.

Are you guys talking about that other harem comedy thing? I find that I can enjoy bad action series, but can't really deal with any bad harem/rom-com things because the genre itself is bad, rather than anything specific to each show.

• Locked thread