Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Has there ever been an ADTRW discussion about the whole sister romance thing that is so prevalent in Japanese media? Bizarre fetishes aren't uncommon, but I'm really not sure why this particular one is so widespread. It's basically a cultural fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bremen posted:

Occasionally. The conclusion seems to be that for the socially shut in group that's the primary market for non-children's anime in Japan (remember, the word Otaku actually means "house"), associating with other women is outside their comfort zone but associating with family is not. I can't personally speak for if that's correct, though.

Hmm. Related to that, I find it absolutely hilarious how many shows there are about shut-ins seemingly without any prospects in life, and how they are secretly the most amazing thing ever. It's pandering to the audience so hard that it's kind of embarrassing.

• Locked thread