Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Apparently this anime is really popular in China. People are watching it and loving how awful it is and how their nation is portrayed as almost comically evil. So there's that.

I know this is an old post but I've been slowly going through this thread for the pure :magical: but this really stands out to me.

Being Chinese and having living relatives that survived Japanese occupation during World War II, I find Japanese nationalism repugnant and the novel's/show's portrayal of the Chinese disgusting and tasteless. Yet, I'm surprised if this quote is actually true because I've never figured that mainland Chinese had a sense of humor let alone enough of one to mockingly enjoy the show. I figured they'd be just as offended as I am. Maybe it's because I'm also an American who can be easily offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

This. Japan vs China exists for the same reason USA vs Russia is the basis of so many novels, movies and games. There's history of war and violence between them, and any negative portrayal of the Taliban/Islam is a no-go as far as mainstream media is concerned.

Except in the instance of USA vs Russia, neither side had committed genocide against each others civilian population, raped and pillaged each others territories and those within them, or committed other wartime atrocities as the Japanese did leading up to and during World War II. What's particularly infuriating to me is that these events are downplayed or ignored in Japanese history curriculums and they whitewash the events of the war to paint the Japanese in a better light. While it's common for history to be distorted for the benefit of the country it's taught in, it's inexcusable for the Japanese to do this with the amount of innocent blood on their hands. Had they taken an example from the Germans and taught the dangers of hypernationalism, I'd be far more forgiving towards the Japanese and wouldn't be nearly as offended about Japanese nationalism.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

That would require the nationalism to be perceived as problem to the Japanese viewers.

And that all the slanderous statements from the Chinese, Koreans, and Southeast Asia about Japanese wartime atrocities against humanity are actually true and is one of the reasons why they're not always cooperative with the Japanese which feed on their perception that the rest of Asia and perhaps the rest of the world want to take out the glorious nation of Nippon. :japan:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm Japanese-American.

Yeah, like that gives you the moral high ground. And explains quite a bit. Either that or you're a very elaborate troll.

And while we're chipping away at your identity, did your family emigrate to the United States before or after World War II? If the former, did they face persecution or sent to an internment camp during the war? What are your thoughts on the Nanjing Massacre? The Bataan Death March? The Alexandra Hospital massacre?

And don't think that because I'm Chinese American I ignore and hand waved the corruption of the Qing Dynasty, the Nationalists mishandling of World War II, the purges of Communist China, and various other dark moments in Chinese history. Frankly, I'm ashamed of various parts of American history as well.

And Ytlaya's post more or less falls in line with my feelings on how this light novel and anime are portraying its antagonists. What the author has done here is tasteless, disrespectful, and highlights his poor ability to write in general; let alone write realistic, interesting, and multidimensional antagonists in a world and story that is meant to be taken seriously assuming that that was his intention.

That isn't to say you should stop with these discussions because this is just so entertaining. And you seriously linked an article from Sankaku Complex? Troll or not, you're entertaining all right. :allears:

It's too bad that so many other people are eating this poo poo up. :negative:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That is completely unrelated other then the use of a sword.

Oh really?

Wartime accounts posted:

Other soldiers and historians have noted the unlikelihood of the lieutenants' alleged heroics, which entailed killing enemy after enemy in fierce hand-to-hand combat.[4] Noda himself, on returning to his hometown, admitted during a speech,

quote:

Actually, I didn't kill more than four or five people in hand-to hand combat... We'd face an enemy trench that we'd captured, and when we called out, 'Ni, Lai-Lai!' (You, come on!), the Chinese soldiers were so stupid, they'd rush toward us all at once. Then we'd line them up and cut them down, from one end of the line to the other. I was praised for having killed a hundred people, but actually, almost all of them were killed in this way. The two of us did have a contest, but afterward, I was often asked whether it was a big deal, and I said it was no big deal...[7]

Sure, dismembering the limb of a helpless and defeated guy is completely different from goading a bunch of defeated Chinese soldiers who have no means of escape into charging you while you cut them down with your sword. Who needs POWs or the Geneva convention?

:allears:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

To me, that reads like they charged all at once in order to surrender. Otherwise, why would they obediently line up?

Oh. :geno:

Oh... :stare:

OHHHH!!!! :stonk:

:negative:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

There's a lot of good things besides that stuff. Cool magic, neat and interesting characters, relationships, and interactions, and an engaging plotline and setting.

Might as well post your MAL account so we can pick apart your terrible questionable taste in anime. That is if you even have a MAL account. :smug:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

Where the hell am I supposed to get my entertainment now. You are the true monster

There's always select excerpts of the light novel from Namtab. :shobon:

It's a great way to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes without ruining our sanity even further. However, I think the excerpts do plenty of damage on their own. Seriously Namtab, you're doing God's work here but don't push yourself too hard. :ohdear:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This thread is 30 pages long... should I watch the show?

But by all means, read the entirety of thread if you must. In particular, look for WickedHate's posts as she tries to defend the show despite everyone else decrying that the show is dull, poorly written, Japanese nationalist rubbish. Also, look for Namtab's excerpts of the light novel showing just how much the novel is dull, poorly written, and chock full of blatant Japaneses nationalism with not a shred of tact in regards to past and current events in East Asia.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It will always fascinate me how your average crunchyroll commenter seems to like Literally Every Anime. No matter what the show is, it will always have nearly universal positive comments.

Then again, it could just be the crazies that take the time and effort to comment there.

The scoring on MAL, on the other hand, looks a little more sane and has a lot more data points to work with. The score is still to high for my faith in humanity but it has been on a slow decline and isn't scoring amazingly well.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20785/Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei/stats

In comparison, No Life No Game seems to have been the best received and best scored show of the season.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/19815/No_Game_No_Life/stats

Even Jojo is doing better with a better score and ranking and a lower drop rate despite (depressingly) lower viewership.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/20899/JoJos_Bizarre_Adventure:_Stardust_Crusaders/stats

So while it's not nearly as polarizing as I would have hoped, at least it's not doing great. :shobon:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Eddain posted:

I started watching this show and I don't really find it to be terrible.

Just think of Tatsuya as Wizard Jesus, ignore the rampant incest, and enjoy the main character being the best at everything.

I guess I'm just really enjoying the fact that the main character isn't a spineless wimp caught in a harem with new magical powers that he's afraid/reluctant to use. Just keep loving everybody's poo poo up Tatsuya.

I'd advise you read the rest of the thread before we have to make the effort to make you eat your own words. Make special note of namtab's excerpts from the light novel so you can see just where this poo poo is going and just how bad the show and novel are.

Then again, this thread has gotten kind of dull ever since WickedHate realized just how terrible this show and light novel is. So by all means, try to defend this show. If you can that is. :getin:

WickedHate posted:

So this is what I sounded like. :shepface:

More or less.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I figured the Japanese market would eat this poo poo up. At least it's not in the same league as Makoda, Bakemonogatari, and Love Live by a long shot.

darkgray posted:

So, well. Love Live s2 BD vol 1 sold 82,119 copies in the first week. That makes it the best selling anime ever, pretty much. It's got Bakemonogatari beat by 10k, and outsold Madoka by about 30%.

I hate this world.

Eat it Satou. Your Japanese jingoism can't beat moe. :japan:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

You could always pull a Terminator and go back in time to kill his mother before he's ever conceived. But then of course Tatsuya would figure out the assassin's dastardly plan so he invents his own superior version of time travel and goes back in time to chase after and kills the assassin who is more than likely Chinese. In the process of all that, he meet his mother, seduces her with his "charm", impregnates her as he becomes his own father, kills a whole bunch more evil Chinese dudes for whatever inane reason, yada yada yada... :geno:

It's not Mahouka without incest and genocide. :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

jwang posted:

Can Chuck Norris kill Chuck Norris? Because that's what we're dealing here: genuine Chuck Norris vs. Japanese Chuck Norris with magic. The genuine part would beat the Japanese part any day of the week ('Murican superiority), but the magic part makes it kinda iffy.

By the power of the internets and memes, Chuck Norris can beat anyone that he is required to defeat no matter the odds or circumstances. :colbert:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Thanks for summing what's been going on because I just realized that one of the blogs that I follow has stopped covering Mahouka since the summer season started. And this was the blog where some of the staff has had somewhat questionable tastes and opinions on anime.

• Locked thread