Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

alwayslost posted:

Thanks for all the input, guys. At the very least, this has made me realize my weekly spending needs tighter controls, and will allow me a substantial increase in monthly savings/debt paying/whatever. I'm leaning towards getting the emergency savings to about 20k before substantially decreasing that and putting that money elsewhere.

On the plus side, I think my girlfriend is on board with a small ~$2,500 dollar wedding as opposed to a $20,000 bridezilla extravaganza, provided she gets her ring. I know most of you think I shouldn't be spending any more than I have already saved, but I'm happy with the compromise.

I wouldn't call $20k for a wedding extravagant in this day and age.

Lets see if we can break down your $2,500 wedding.

Celebrant, $300?
Food, $1000-$1500 (say $20/head for 50-75 guests)
Rings, $300?
Dress, $200 (but still not a "real" wedding dress)
Suit Hire, $100
and I would say equipment hire would easily take up the rest.

There's nothing wrong with that but if your girlfriend is getting hung up on the cost of the engagement right, I don't think she'll take it well when you tell her she can't have a $3000 wedding dress. Honestly I think if you asked her what her idea for a $2,500 wedding was, that $2,500 wouldn't be all inclusive, it would be $2,500 to hire a venue of some sort.

Is there any reason why you guys can't have a long engagement and get married when you can afford the wedding you guys want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread