Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Knightmare posted:

What are you spending $100+ a week at Walmart on?

That looks like food and toiletries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

You are taking 20 percent of your net and putting it into savings. Not that its a bad thing, but its going to be tight if you continue doing it like this. I don't see where the extra cash you are talking about is coming from.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Slow Motion posted:

With an HSA you can contribute directly via transfer from an existing checking or savings account with the same net effect on your tax burden. I move money ad-hoc through my HSA rather than set a fixed monthly deposit to give me more flexibility with that money and I love it. You can always max it out in the first quarter of next year if you want to use it as an investment vehicle.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but by doing this, you are missing out on the best part of an HSA, the fact that you can contribute gross income if you do a fixed amount with your employer. It lowers your yearly gross just like a 401(k), so it can potentially keep you out of the higher tax bracket.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

blackmet posted:

One of my co-workers got married recently. They decided to have it just be the two of them, an officiant, and a photographer in the mountains. Neither one of them likes their families much, so they decided to skip the hoopla.

It still ran over $2500 bucks. $400 for the pastor, $800 for the photographer, $500 for the dress, flowers that she wanted, tux rental, rings, etc. Still pretty expensive.

If people can do a wedding for under $2500 for 50 guests or so, kudos to them. I do think anything over 10k is ridiculous, though.

This is accurate. The bare bones of a wedding can bust a 2500 budget before you even consider a reception.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Wrong thread maybe? There's no 401k loan here and he's only got a grand in there anyway.

I'd assume that comment was supposed to be in Slow Motion's thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

martyrdumb posted:

I'm engaged and also broke. Can you spot the difference between these two rings?

The primary difference is $4930.00. And I can put whatever stones I want in the first ring. None of which are going to be diamonds that people are being killed to mine.

Your fiancee is going to be a MSW. Does she even know what the average pay rate is for social workers? Google says:

Social workers who specialize in children and family welfare made a median salary of $41,530 in 2012, according to the BLS. The best-paid 10 percent in the field earned $71,000, while the lowest-paid made approximately $26,720.

If she even lands a job after graduation, she's going to start at under $30k and will not likely ever make more than $40k. You guys need to have a discussion on finances yesterday and get on the same page about this poo poo. Frivolities like blood diamonds should be off the table. You don't really think she's going to cave on a cheap wedding after you drop 5k on a rock, do you?

That's a pretty bleak outlook for her career. She will likely never approach the median salary, ever? Sure, it's possible, but unlikely. Also, are those figures you quoted for Colorado, where they live, or national averages? How do people end up making more money in Social Work? Talent, seniority, shrewd negotiations? I think you are assuming a great deal there.

I agree that a very expensive ring probably should not be OP's priority right now. But, I don't think it's fair, and it's kind of sexist to assume that his GF is going to insist on a big wedding. Obviously, they need to get on the same page, but I don't think OP is being indignant enough such an aggressive tone.

• Locked thread