Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Yeah, a $2,500 wedding is next to impossible unless you do a backyard BBQ and call in a bunch of favors. I think we spent about $14,000 on our wedding for like 120 people. And we were relatively thrifty, although we splurged for a bunch of extra stuff after the family helped out.

$2500 was like the bar bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

meanieface posted:

Please stop assuming that OP's fiancee is selfish, horrible with money, etc., because she wants a nice ring.

It's a sentimental item, and some ladies are big on that particular piece of jewelry.

OP: I know you're on a budget, when you do get that ring, no matter how much you end up spending on it, insure that thing.

It's not that we're assuming that she's selfish and horrible, but that they're not correctly anticipating what $2500 will actually get you for a wedding. Having recently gone through the planning process (with a wife who is an event planner no less) the answer is "not much".

You can stretch it, sure, but even a backyard BBQ costs cash. I've spent over $400 on booze, food, and other supplies for a relatively normal party of like 20 people. Odds are if someone is fixated on a certain ring size they're not going to be happy eating hotdogs and wearing hand painted ties or whatever on the "biggest day of their lives"

EDIT: As far as actual advice regarding your finances and the wedding, I suggest heading over to the Wedding Megathread with some ideas and start getting a handle on what both of your expectations are relative to your resources. To be honest if her family really is well off they'll probably be throwing some money your way. Just don't spend it until the cash is in your hand.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 30, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

martyrdumb posted:

:supaburn: Blood Diamonds :supaburn:

You don't have to patronize the dude and his fiance about the ethics of diamonds. There are ethical retailers out there (e.g. Brilliant Earth) where they can get a decent ring with a quality stone for $1500-$2500 instead of $5k. Granted you're not getting a 1 carat rock for that price but whatever.

vvv Absolutely.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 8, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Evil Robot posted:

This is wrong, the artificial diamonds are only slightly cheaper than the natural kind. Source: I bought an engagement ring last month.

Dud might be talking about "synthetic diamonds" or whatever. Which cost 1/5 the amount of a real diamond but are sold at like 1000% of their real value given that they're just glorified quartz or something.

• Locked thread