Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
With an HSA you can contribute directly via transfer from an existing checking or savings account with the same net effect on your tax burden. I move money ad-hoc through my HSA rather than set a fixed monthly deposit to give me more flexibility with that money and I love it. You can always max it out in the first quarter of next year if you want to use it as an investment vehicle.

Also your girlfriend's contribution is extremely low. What's her deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Guinness posted:

You only get reimbursed on federal income tax if you do post-tax contributions, though, not on FICA (Social Security & Medicare). It's a small difference, but it is leaving money on the table. I'm trying to push my company to set up payroll deductions for for that reason, but for some reason they can't do it yet. I've had to do post-tax contributions the past couple years and the deduction come tax time still ends up reimbursing a sizable number of dollars, like $900 for the max contribution.

Unless everything I've read is wrong.

You're right and I didn't know how that worked. In my own personal finances I make the call to max my HSA in December when I get my year end bonus and run it pre-tax out of that. So I've never left money on the table. But if someone followed my advice they would. Thanks for the lesson.

• Locked thread