Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

oRenj9 posted:

[*] Reduce 401k contributions to your employee match. If they don't match; don't contribute, you can get better returns by eliminating debt.

Can you explain this part out? Isn't it safe to assume at least 7% on returns at a young age in regards to an aggressive 401k plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

slap me silly posted:

You also have to consider the large difference in risk. Eliminating debt is guaranteed, getting 7% returns on your 401k is not.

Got it. So what is the recommended APR on a student loan where you start prioritizing funding your retirement accounts over paying off the debt on a loan? Is there a reasonable number or does it come down to comfort levels at a certain point? I can understand trying to pay off the fed loans immediately, but does he slow down retirement for the 5% APR loan too?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well I guess he died? Or is he in debtors jail?

• Locked thread