Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

alwayslost posted:

So is the whole "3 months salary" guideline bullshit? My girlfriend wants a diamond, and unfortunately she is convinced I'm buying her a 5k ring (with little consideration of my opinion, lol). I know its not the smartest financial decision, and I think diamonds are loving retarded, but I want her to be happy, too.
It's total 100% bullshit made up by an industry that would have said a year's salary if they thought they could get away with it.

Ask her mom if there are any heirloom diamonds in the family you could get reset. My ring cost less than $200 because I just got my grandmother's necklace reset as a ring, and drat, it looks amazing and is way more sentimental for me than anything else I could have gotten for thousands and thousands of dollars.

The part that worries me most is this: "with little consideration of my opinion, lol" because if you can't talk about something like this together, you should not be getting married. In my experience, my girlfriends who have insisted on X amount of spending on an engagement ring are also usually the crazy entitled ones. I love them as friends, but I pity the man who has to pay for their upkeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

alwayslost posted:

On the plus side, I think my girlfriend is on board with a small ~$2,500 dollar wedding as opposed to a $20,000 bridezilla extravaganza, provided she gets her ring. I know most of you think I shouldn't be spending any more than I have already saved, but I'm happy with the compromise.
I'm planning a frugal wedding, and I'm pretty frugal and awesome with money, and it's still gonna be more than $2500. You're delusional if you think the $5k ring girl will be happy with a $2500 wedding. It's just not going to happen.

When's your wedding? Let's do a wedding thunderdome and compare expenses. I bet I come in under you, and I've budgeted $10k for the whole thing just to be safe.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

alwayslost posted:

I'll take that bet. Though mine is not till 2017
LOL at taking three years to plan a $2k wedding, that is totally going to happen. Feature creep is a bitch over a long deadline. But okay, I'll be tracking expenses anyway :)

• Locked thread