Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Lots of questions coming up, but first, a quick google search showed me some very nice engagement ring sets on this site for less than 2k.

http://www.myjewelrybox.com/sc-engagement-rings_76/

Now, onto the advice/questions portion of this post:

OP, I would have a real, sit-down, heart-to-heart talk with your girlfriend over the state of your finances, and her expectations. Can you reach a compromise along the lines of "Let's get this ring set for $X that I have saved already right now, and we can do a nice upgrade once my student loans are paid off or paid down to $Y."

Have you talked about other large-ticket items that young couples usually want? Buying a house, a car, having kids? Will she continue to work if you become parents? Will she have student loans that will add to the debt? If so, how much, and what are your plans for paying it?

I would stop putting money in your emergency account right now, or drop the monthly contribution down until some of your debts are gone. Have you tried running the numbers on a debt snowball for all of your loans? Some of those balances are pretty low, and could be paid off within a few months if you chose. Which might come in handy for this part:

Are the monthly payment amounts in your post interest-only payments, or the actual amounts you will pay when they are out of deferment? How much longer will they be deferred? And if the payments will change at that point, what will they go up to?

You're off to a good start, in a way, you've shown that you can save money, which is a HUGE thing. I think that as long as you can get your girlfriend on board (REALLY on board, not just saying "sure we can stick to the budget, as long as you buy me this shiny thing"), you'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

antiga posted:

The ring is not the real problem here. It's just one hell of a red flag. If you don't get on the same page about finances you'll be miserable, I guarantee it.

This, exactly. The point would remain the same if she wanted a $5000 sapphire or some other non-controversial gemstone, or even if it wasn't about the ring - maybe she wants her dream Vera Wang gown. The point is, as a young couple, you're already starting behind the 8-ball - OP has some good saving habits, but his student loan debt alone is crushing. What happens when hers is added? And as I asked earlier, what about other young-couple-just-starting-out expenses?

OP, please come back.

• Locked thread