Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Premieres Sunday April 27 at 11pm on HBO. Trailer

John Oliver got national attention when he guest-hosted The Daily Show last summer, including a memorable episode shot during a blackout. He was a beloved and long-running correspondent on TDS, but you might also know him as Jeff Winger's professor buddy on Community, as the host of John Oliver's New York Stand Up Show, or, far more importantly, as the stalwart source of fully fifty percent of the bicoastal bullshit on The Bugle, a very funny podcast with Andy Zaltzman that's probably your best preview of what John Oliver's sense of humor is like apart from The Daily Show.

quote:

How different is the format of Last Week Tonight than The Daily Show? via Splitsider

Tim Carvell (showrunner): We're working that out. The recognizable part of it will be talking about the news through the use of clips and interviews. We're trying to find the best ways to tailor to Oliver's sensibilities and to make the best use of the differences in format and time. One thing we realized early on was we have a half an hour without commercials, and that's a long time to hear anyone talk to you, so we got on the idea pretty early of having these superstitial segments that are going to serve as the show's "commercial break" so that the show is broken up, and at least for a little while you get some respite from John's voice. [laughs] We talk about it that way, and really — it's a lovely voice, we just want to take little breaks from it. So that is one of the things that will be distinct from The Daily Show; where they'd go to a commercial break we would go to a produced comedy piece.

Who else is on the show?
Unlike TDS, Last Week Tonight will not have correspondents, but it will have guests in the typical newsmagazine vein, experts in whatever John is talking about that night. The show isn't planning to be a part of the celebrity project promo circuit, but I imagine there will be exceptions. There's a largeish writing staff too, so it's entirely possible they'll pop up in the produced pieces or walk-on gags the way Totally Biased did.

I don't have HBO so...
Sorry friend, you are poo poo out of luck. The show has its own site with clips, and there's the usual social media presence, but a format like this is unlikely to support a DVD release so subscribing to HBO or sharing someone's HBO Go password are pretty much your only legal options. Non-Americans know the drill.

Pictured: The Drill

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm in the "Love him, but I don't have HBO" crowd. I expect they'll put some clips on the internet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm in the "Love him, but I don't have HBO" crowd. I expect they'll put some clips on the internet.

The show has a Youtube channel. Plus there are always :filez:

Also, this thread should have a sticky.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you do not have HBO we all know who's fault it is.
gently caress YOU CHRIS

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Did John get possessed by Satan recently?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Really excited for this. I love the Daily Show, but John Oliver's short stint hosting it was the best it's been in quite a while. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
He did a show at my college last year and killed, so I'm really excited to see what kind of show he's going to be running. Fingers crossed for a visual version of the Bugle.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

As a newbie to the format, Oliver outperformed Stewart (and Colbert) on TDS, so this has got to be good. Plus on HBO, I'm sure he's got freedom and a budget. The rest just depends on his writing staff. I can't wait.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm excited but I don't know how they're gonna cover a week's worth of news in half an hour. Especially since I'm hoping John will bring more of an international slant.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Wrong thread

I hope this is as good as his Daily Show run

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm excited but I don't know how they're gonna cover a week's worth of news in half an hour. Especially since I'm hoping John will bring more of an international slant.

It sorta sounds like they're going to cover an important topic in-depth, if they're trying to match guests with whatever John's talking about.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ITS HAPPENING! :neckbeard:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:stare: Well that's one way to start an interview.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

It looked like Wes Anderson directed that.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
So weird hearing Oliver cuss without the censor sound.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

No matter what the culture, CNN sucks.

Edit: That needs a base track.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

How dare you say I take money.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How dare you say I take money!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This is loving excellent so far

Edit: Everyone is so fired

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 28, 2014

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Not showing up in Hbogo?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Goons! To Battle! :hist101:

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not showing up in Hbogo?

Yeah, I guess not. Devastating.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not showing up in Hbogo?

According to the Twitter account, it'll be up the following day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I keep expecting commercials, like The Daily Show.

Then we don't get them, and it's awesome!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Technogeek posted:

According to the Twitter account, it'll be up the following day.

Last weeks news tomorrow?! This is not what I wanted to hear. Aw well, I'll take what I can get.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It feels exactly like The Daily Show.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but... I was expecting more than just no censors.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

That was great...but I wan't more :cry:

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
That was okay I guess? Kinda expected something more.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I'll take The Daily Show in John Oliver's voice, with way higher energy, no commercials, and no celebrity interviews. Sure. That was fun.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'll come back next week. It's like having the daily show 5 days a week.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Did John get possessed by Satan recently?

Do you think TV hosting gigs just grow on trees?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fantastic first episode.

"Why are you voting for that man?"

"Because he appeared to me via hologram and promised me a toilet."

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
NSA: The only government agency that listens.

I look forward to the pictures of the food stickers.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I really like his tendency to shush the audience almost immediately after telling a joke. Makes me hope they'll just nix the audience altogether at some point.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I can see why people see this as "The Daily Show without censors and ads", and it's certainly taken a lot from that format. That said, John Oliver seems a lot more cutting. He does some rapid-fire fluff about stuff everyone heard this week, then goes after some topics that actually haven't been given much attention. I'm really into this show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

It feels exactly like The Daily Show.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but... I was expecting more than just no censors.
TDS didn't talk about the Indian election or the Pom Wonderful Supreme Court case, so I get the sense this is TDS for a more worldly audience.

Which I'd be very happy with.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
When does this go up on HBOGO and why is there more of a delay on this than freaking Game of Thrones?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relentlessboredomm posted:

When does this go up on HBOGO and why is there more of a delay on this than freaking Game of Thrones?

Tomorrow and nerds.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Tomorrow and nerds.

When tomorrow? Is it up a full 24hrs after it starts or will be up around noon. I seriously can't find this info anywhere. HBO is terrible about posting the schedule of how/when shows make it to HBOGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

How dare you say I take money.
This 50 times in a row. Literally. That's what's literally on a cable news network. And I thought America's media was already as bad as things could get.

• Locked thread