Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It wont be a true successor to the Bugle until John manages to introduce a news story by quoting song lyrics.

Or quoting the Iron Sheikh's twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dreylad posted:

It wont be a true successor to the Bugle until John manages to introduce a news story by quoting song lyrics.

Or an interview. :getin:

Although remembering what Mr. Sheikh said about The Smurfs, perhaps that's not a good idea.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

Only if it's incorrectly attributed to a different artist.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Alls I can say about this show is first off, it better not interrupt The Bugle like last week :argh: and secondly-

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. As a loooong-time Bugler, John Oliver getting his own show is fantastic. And it was fantastic!

Really not used to his hair being so...well-groomed though. And new glasses!

I think it's supposed to be a swipe at how irrelevant and unimportant Russia is. "This place sucks, it's basically only good for supplying gas to the better parts of the world!"

Its a reference to Russia using its position as a major gas supplier in the wake of the Ukraine crisis as political leverage, particularly the none too subtle threats about the prices Ukraine would now have to pay in order to get its regular gas supply.

Of course, most gas stations can't keep UN resolutions from being passed, likely arm militia groups, and in general be run by a Bond villain.

One of the things I loved most was the potential implication that John is more aware of global politics because he bothers to continue watching the BBC.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Dreylad posted:

Senior twitter correspondent The Iron Shiek.

It won't be a visual version of the Bugle until we have a story of someone drawing penises on something that penises should not be drawn on.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a tragedy John didn't get this show before the end of Silvio Berlusconi's reign. Excuse me, Burlesquepony.

Actually thinking about all my favorite Bugle bits (the letter from the soldier invading Iowa at The Bugle's bidding is the best one, yes even though John & Andy didn't write it) it's a real shame HBO didn't just adapt The Bugle into a TV Show. Stick a webcam in Andy's shed, the graininess will be part of the charm.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

PassTheRemote posted:

Senior twitter correspondent The Iron Shiek.

It won't be a visual version of the Bugle until we have a story of someone drawing penises on something that penises should not be drawn on.

Incorrect premise. Penises should be drawn on absolutely everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He needs to do a story on the vagesty and stupid buildings

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"And then the flower squirts when you're done."

Holy loving poo poo Kyle.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I sit here this morning watching wall-to-wall coverage of the whole Donald Sterling mess and all I can think of is, HOW DARE YOU SAY I TAKE MONEY!

I can't wait for Sunday night. I honestly feel more informed from watching this Monday morning than a half-week's worth of CNN.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

It feels exactly like The Daily Show.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but... I was expecting more than just no censors.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It basically feels like a team of people who watched TDS over last summer and just thought 'yeah, we can just remake this'. I don't know how much talk behind the scenes there was with regards to Letterman moving and Stephen replacing him, but right now it seems like the alternative could've been Oliver taking over TCR and we'd have him doing the same thing 4 days a week. That, to me, is sadly better than what we have now.

Obviously just the first show, but I was expecting more than just a network change when you have the might of HBO behind you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It basically feels like a team of people who watched TDS over last summer and just thought 'yeah, we can just remake this'. I don't know how much talk behind the scenes there was with regards to Letterman moving and Stephen replacing him, but right now it seems like the alternative could've been Oliver taking over TCR and we'd have him doing the same thing 4 days a week. That, to me, is sadly better than what we have now.

Obviously just the first show, but I was expecting more than just a network change when you have the might of HBO behind you.

If it's The Daily Show with John Oliver but with a stronger world-wide slant I'd be extremely happy.

John had REALLY great energy during the TDS summer hosting.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Colbert intentionally timed his contract end dates to coincide with Letterman's. It was always known he'd make a bid for the spot the minute Letterman retired, but of course nobody knew if he'd get it. Considering how long it takes to get a new show together and the uncertainty of every factor, it was probably just too risky to make plans around IF Letterman retires this year and IF Colbert gets his spot, stick around and we'll give you 11:30.

Plus Oliver honestly might not want a 4x/week show (quadweekly?). Unlike Stewart and Colbert he's still an active standup and actor, and with that schedule he doesn't have time to record a half-hour podcast regularly as it is. The weekly format also frees him from the expectation that he'll keep mentioning a single story for as long as it's in the news - I'd be surprised if LWT mentions Sterling again this Sunday even though there's still a lot of press about it. TDS and Colbert can kind of run together day-to-day because they're stuck in a more incremental news cycle, but Oliver has an entire week to pick two or three main topics from, so each episode is going to feel a lot more distinct.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like the weekly format. It keeps the content as fresh as possible without having to pull rabbits out of hats for slow news days. It also holds my interest as a viewer in a better way; I got tired of Colbert's schtick more quickly than I thought I would, and taking it from 4x to 1x/weekly makes it a treat to watch rather than, oh look, it's The Daily Show (which I'll watch the first five minutes of if I happen to have the tv on at 11).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think the strongest argument against him taking Colbert's spot is that he's too similar to Stewart. Inarguably he has his own thing and his stint running TDS had its own feel, but it was still essentially The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight is so very TDS-esque. Without the benefit of being on a different station (with no censor restrictions), I'm afraid a Stewart and Oliver hour would feel like incredibly same-y until they branched out. Like a condensed version of the problems of The Late Show and The Late Late Show only just closer together. Colbert's show thrives because the extreme character he has so the satire makes even repeated stories okay.

I know it sounds like unfortunate timing but I think getting onto HBO is creatively a better thing. I hope it thrives because I think he might have been in trouble in Colbert's slot. Especially if Colbert's audience follows him. And at least HBO isn't as comically cancel-happy as Comedy Central.

I don't have any clue what kind of show could thrive behind TDS right now. It has to appeal to the TDS people, can sit opposite Colbert and do well, and maintain enough to prop up @Midnight. Maybe they should just rerun old TDS episodes from years gone by.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't have any clue what kind of show could thrive behind TDS right now. It has to appeal to the TDS people, can sit opposite Colbert and do well, and maintain enough to prop up @Midnight. Maybe they should just rerun old TDS episodes from years gone by.

They should offer Colbert's slot to Wyatt Cenac!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was skeptical, but I really do think that this is the best of both worlds. While I think Oliver could easily carry a full hour, the chance to only do one show a week gives them the chance to take a longer view on many issues. Whereas The Daily Show basically functions as a replacement for the nightly news, Last Week Tonight is the 60 minutes weekend breather.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Thurm posted:

It seemed like John, Andy and gently caress You Chris all needed the week off. John had his new show, Andy was in Luxembourg and Chris had a baby.

Sounds like Chris has been getting some 'gently caress you' action on the side. Am I right? (I am.)

By the way, there's some content that wasn't on the first episode on the Last Week Tonight YouTube page, including a bit on Obama with the Asimo robot.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

They should offer Colbert's slot to Wyatt Cenac!

I have no idea what kind of show Cenac would even do, so that actually sounds really exciting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't have any clue what kind of show could thrive behind TDS right now. It has to appeal to the TDS people, can sit opposite Colbert and do well, and maintain enough to prop up @Midnight.

My dream is they give the slot to W. Kamau Bell.

Sadly this would probably fail all three of those criteria. :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was skeptical, but I really do think that this is the best of both worlds. While I think Oliver could easily carry a full hour, the chance to only do one show a week gives them the chance to take a longer view on many issues. Whereas The Daily Show basically functions as a replacement for the nightly news, Last Week Tonight is the 60 minutes weekend breather.

Yea exactly, it's fantastic. This is much easier to keep up with than the Daily Show.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 1, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

O__O posted:

Pretty sure the India segment was just a more refined version of a recent Bugle episode (which I agree is a good thing).

The pro-toilet joke was lifted almost straight up from the episode. Everything around it is new.

If the show is going a bit more world-wide in terms of news, I hope there's a short bit about cricket news.

EDIT: Who's that old guy that doesn't want people to talk about India because it's not even in the same hemisphere? What show is he on

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

toanoradian posted:

EDIT: Who's that old guy that doesn't want people to talk about India because it's not even in the same hemisphere? What show is he on

John McLaughlin

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have no idea what kind of show Cenac would even do, so that actually sounds really exciting.

I'm guessing the post was based on an old joke segment they had called The Cenac Attack. I hope all the correspondents have equally awesome names for their fictional spinoffs.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

John McLaughlin

I found that clip odd since McLaughlin OBVIOUSLY being sarcastic. It would be like another comedy show showing how dumb Colbert's comments were. McLaughlin was pointing out how little coverage was given to India's election in the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

John Oliver did a nice interview with the Daily Beast:

quote:

You did a very nice job hosting The Daily Show in Jon Stewart’s absence. Do you think that’s the big reason why you’ve got this cool new HBO gig?

I think we can honestly say it’s the only reason. Before then, there wasn’t much in the way of people banging down the door. But it was incredibly fun. And incredibly tough. I did not want to leave The Daily Show. It wasn’t quite like passing a kidney stone, because it was a kidney stone you quite wanted to have in your body. There was no reason to leave, really, other than I knew I probably should, and it was going to take something completely different—something where you just think, “Oh, that would be insane to turn down.” This ended up being that. I talked to Jon about it and he was of the same mind. He said, “You would be an idiot to say ‘no’ to that.”

How did your talk with Jon go when you said, “You know, HBO offered me this…”

It was much more than that. Before he left for the summer, he said, “Listen, when I get back we’re going to have to talk about what you want to do next,” and I was slightly alarmed by that and went, “No! I want to stay here!” And he said, “Well… we’ll talk about it. I think that’s going to be… difficult.”

So he really foresaw you getting tons of attention for hosting?

Oh, he definitely foresaw it. He said, “We’ll talk about it when I get back,” and I pushed back hard on it. When he got back, he said, “So, let’s talk about what you’re going to do.” For a period of months, I talked to him every few days about whom I’d spoken to, and he gave me his input. He was my Sherpa all the way through it.

I'd've been shocked if Jon Stewart was anything less than gracious about the whole thing.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

zoux posted:

John Oliver did a nice interview with the Daily Beast:

I'd've been shocked if Jon Stewart was anything less than gracious about the whole thing.

He really, really likes Jon Stewart.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's the visa system, I tells ya. Brings employees closer to their employers.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
As a longtime Daily Show fan, it felt weird watching LWT when there'd be the big punchline to a segment like the show was going to commercial, and then no break came and they just moved onto the next topic. Not bad, just a little jarring from the "usual format".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing the post was based on an old joke segment they had called The Cenac Attack. I hope all the correspondents have equally awesome names for their fictional spinoffs.

I thought it was The Cenac Agenda. Was that ever a thing someone said on the show or am I making that up wholesale?

edit: Went to the site to search for that episode and they don't have the full archive up anymore? When did this happen? :(

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 2, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's that brief segment in the Indecision 2008 election special* where Wyatt Cenac and Larry Wilmore took over the hosting of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Can't find that one in the official website either. Bummer.

*Indecision 2008: America's Choice Live Election Special (A.K.A. The Final Endgame Go Time Alpha Action Lift-Off Decide-icidal Hungry Man's Extreme Raw Power Ultimate Voteslam Smackdown '08 No Mercy: Judgement Day '08).

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2014

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

raditts posted:

I thought it was The Cenac Agenda. Was that ever a thing someone said on the show or am I making that up wholesale?

edit: Went to the site to search for that episode and they don't have the full archive up anymore? When did this happen? :(

The videos are still there, I think (click on the little magnifying glass). They've just made the site interface a lot more annoying to use. But, by golly, look at all that clean empty space! Isn't that a lot more important than basic functionality?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

toanoradian posted:

There's that the brief segment in the Indecision 2008 election special* where Wyatt Cenac and Larry Wilmore took over the hosting of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Can't find that one in the official website either. Bummer.

*Indecision 2008: America's Choice Live Election Special (A.K.A. The Final Endgame Go Time Alpha Action Lift-Off Decide-icidal Hungry Man's Extreme Raw Power Ultimate Voteslam Smackdown '08 No Mercy: Judgement Day '08).

2012 had the best Title: This Ends Now!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

2012 had the best Title: This Ends Now!

Is Indecision 2004 the only one that they released on DVD? I have it, I wish they'd release more Daily Show/Colbert stuff on DVD.

(It just occurred to me that I've been watching The Daily Show for more than a decade.)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Just watched this. Very enjoyable, very Daily Show. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but I am looking forward to the show finding its own identity nonetheless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha the company behind that twee as gently caress Oregon healthcare exchange ad that Oliver went off on is Real Fuckin Mad.

quote:

"Are we, as Mr. Oliver suggests, stupid loving idiots?

Yes.

Given the world today, you have to be a stupid loving idiot to want to help activate a legislation so controversial.

You have to be a stupid loving idiot to suggest a strategy that unites people around a common good before selling them on something as complicated as health insurance.

You have to be a stupid loving idiot to think advertising can actually help improve the quality of people's lives.

But at North, we welcome stupid loving idiots. And I'd do it all again just the same, proudly.

Although, next time I'd probably leave the website out of the ads."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Stop picking on us, we had good intentions! It doesn't matter if our execution was asinine!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
More to the point, John was lampooning the State at large for having commissioned that advert whilst the thing it was advertising wasn't working. Like having an ad for the new Godzilla movie still claiming its coming mid-May when its on an indefinite delay. Something which the dude running the Ad Agency somehow admits to anyway given the way he's tries to distance them from the website.

Its just... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I just moved to Oregon and saw those commercials and they're strange but very, very Oregon. What's amazing is that the website is as much of a disaster as it is. As far as I can glean, they contracted with a recognized company for the website (Oracle) with a reasonable development timeline and it completely poo poo the bed. His outrage would be fine if the website worked, but as mentioned it's like the band on the Titanic was playing folk music instead of classical.

• Locked thread