Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

bows1 posted:

They finish editing the show right before it airs, and the amount of encoding for all the different platforms that HBO GO runs on takes forever, and a 1080p HD version of a 30 minute show is a HUGE File. Not considering all the other file types.

It does take a long time to upload those files, hours for each

Do you know the difference between youtube compression and Pure HD, as well as 5 min videos vs 30? Also, 1 version for youtube Vs at least 10 for HBO Go.

You guys are being ridiculous about this. Its obviously not a conscious choice.

Again, piracy stream sites manage to tape the shows in HD and upload them ready for viewing in their entirety within ~3 minutes of the show finishing. There is absolutely no way that a professional organisation who actually has access to the show before it even begins airing couldn't do the same. It obviously is a conscious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Again, piracy stream sites manage to tape the shows in HD and upload them ready for viewing in their entirety within ~3 minutes of the show finishing. There is absolutely no way that a professional organisation who actually has access to the show before it even begins airing couldn't do the same. It obviously is a conscious choice.

You are embarrassing yourself. Just as a rule of thumb, rank the reports of people who actually do the thing higher than how you imagine the thing probably works.

Also torrenters are happy to work in the middle of the night for free, but employees of media companies require overtime pay for that kind of thing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You are embarrassing yourself. Just as a rule of thumb, rank the reports of people who actually do the thing higher than how you imagine the thing probably works.

Also torrenters are happy to work in the middle of the night for free, but employees of media companies require overtime pay for that kind of thing.

Not only that but you have to watch each export completely before uploading to check for any errors in compression and rendering. So thats a 30 min show multiplied by however many compressions they have to use for HBO Go(at least 10). As a professional organization you can't upload a file that corrupts or data moshes in the middle, but of course as a pirate you don't give two shits. There is a lot of stuff you are missing in this.

edit - also, sorry for the derail, that will be my last post on the matter. I love the show and will continue to watch it every week.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Another thing - pirates create torrents from the feeds they get off cable. You know, the feeds that have already been processed and error-checked by the HBO employees you're mad at. No poo poo doing half the job takes less time than doing all the job.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yup, nobody works at all when the show is airing at night. It's all just crickets in the control rooms.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Yup, nobody works at all when the show is airing at night. It's all just crickets in the control rooms.

What possible benefit are you getting from acting like such a moron?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

You're all arguing that an enormous professional organisation somehow can't do something that pirates have been doing for years. Like, this is not an impossible thing. It's clearly doable. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the argument. If a dude in his mom's basement is able to get HD streams up minutes after a show finishes airing, then so too should the organisation that airs the show be able to do likewise (with minimal effort given that they have more resources than the aforementioned basement dweller). Not doing so is a choice, they want more people to watch the TV stream for whatever reason.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

You're all arguing that an enormous professional organisation somehow can't do something that pirates have been doing for years. Like, this is not an impossible thing. It's clearly doable. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the argument. If a dude in his mom's basement is able to get HD streams up minutes after a show finishes airing, then so too should the organisation that airs the show be able to do likewise (with minimal effort given that they have more resources than the aforementioned basement dweller). Not doing so is a choice, they want more people to watch the TV stream for whatever reason.

You're arguing from a point of total ignorance about how enormous professional organizations operate. You've already ignored everything we've pointed out - network-level encoding is more involved than torrent encoding, they error-check their streams, they have more than one stream, the work is done by specific people whose labor costs money, and those people tend to want to work during normal business hours. You have the perspective of a child and that's your right I guess but you're committing yourself to getting this mad every single week and that seems like a big investment when the only payoff is letting everyone know how impervious your brain is to learning facts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

the work is done by specific people whose labor costs money, and those people tend to want to work during normal business hours.

You need to stop saying this as if it were true. The work gets done when it needs to get done. Arguing that HBO--a multi-billion dollar company--can't afford to pay someone to come in on a Sunday is retarded.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

network-level encoding is more involved than torrent encoding

Not particularly. You encode the video and then distribute it. If distributing the video via HBOGo is somehow more difficult than uploading streams to various Youtube alternatives (I haven't even been focusing on torrenting btw, but on video streaming sites), then HBOGo's design must be absolutely horrendous. Don't buy it for a second.

quote:

the work is done by specific people whose labor costs money

Money that is more than made up for by more people subscribing to the service since they would then know they could get the show via HBOGo at the same speed as they would from a pirated streaming site.

quote:

those people tend to want to work during normal business hours

Because no-one in TV companies ever works outside of normal business hours. You don't need a bachelors in electrical engineering to know how to encode the episode and upload it (coincidentally, I do actually have such a degree and so actually do have a good understanding of network transmission and encoding algorithms; what are your credentials for apparently knowing so much?), it's very easy to automate. An intern could do it easily.

quote:

error-check their streams

You upload, perform the error check and if an error is found, replace the file with a fixed version. Also not at all complicated and no reason to wait a day (or even the time to watch the episode to error check it).

quote:

they have more than one stream

Pirates mirror their videos to literally thousands of different servers and streaming services in minutes. Again not a particularly good excuse.

Resorting to personal attacks also isn't a particularly good way to make your argument.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
^^ Like I said, sweet pea, poo poo you imagine doesn't outrank actual reality.

Irish Joe posted:

You need to stop saying this as if it were true. The work gets done when it needs to get done. Arguing that HBO--a multi-billion dollar company--can't afford to pay someone to come in on a Sunday is retarded.

Oh hey look it's Irish Joe here to be the dumbest motherfucker in the thread again. poo poo son you were almost late.

If none of you can figure out how corporations have different operational processes than basement nerds then that's just too loving bad for you. Everyone reading your righteous indignation who knows anything about television production is just laughing at you.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

If none of you can figure out how corporations have different operational processes than basement nerds then that's just too loving bad for you. Everyone reading your righteous indignation who knows anything about television production is just laughing at you.

For me it's more like my loving head is going to explode. THEY AREN'T DOING THE SAME THING AT ALL YOU FUCKFACES.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

People who upload the torrents have a single encode target to hit.

HBO Go has to work on multiple hardware targets from 4 year old android phones to the latest game systems. It has to work with bandwidth targets from <1mbps to >10mbps. It has to deal with audio formats from stereo PCM to DD 5.1.

A torrentor just has to snag the MPEG4 transport stream as HBO sends it and slap it into a new container.

There's a huge difference in work involved and even if it was all automated it probably wouldn't be done in enough time to put it up at the same time the show airs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are you guys gunning for the worst thread honor or something?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

How about that Sultan of Brunei, eh? What a card!

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Laughed a lot at the POM letter breakdown. I'm also going to laugh hard if it turns out that a pomegranate enema is the most effective delivery method for it's alleged anti-prostate cancer effect. John oliver, medical pioneer.

Not laughing at this pirate encoding chat.

Im really glad Oliver is doing a lot of international segments, it's definitely a segment missing in other entertainment news mags.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Tokelau All Star posted:

How about that Sultan of Brunei, eh? What a card!

I couldn't stop laughing at the picture of him at the G20. He just came by because why the gently caress not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at the picture of him at the G20. He just came by because why the gently caress not.

I wish I had oil and money so I could be a gigantic loving rear end in a top hat and the world's most powerful leaders would be afraid to touch me.

IRQ posted:

Are you guys gunning for the worst thread honor or something?

Seriously, you'd think there was some demand for some loving sissy slapfight over who knows more about how online streaming hypothetically works.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

raditts posted:

Seriously, you'd think there was some demand for some loving sissy slapfight over who knows more about how online streaming hypothetically works.

I initially though I had missed an episode judging from the amount of new posts and the argument is pretty dumb, but to be perfectly honest, when I don't understand jacksquat about a topic (and, as in this case, I don't), I usually don't kick off an argument about it by saying how stuff should totally work and how dumb xyz is because piratesyaddayadda etc.

I'm really enjoying Last Week Tonight so far, I wouldn't go as far as saying this week's episode blew me out of the water more than the first one did, but there are just such a healthy share of one liners Oliver delivers ever so well. Concerning the McRib, "This feels ethically wrong" and "Should this be allowed in a civilized society?" slayed me.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
There's a lot of food humor in this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tiny Hamster eating a Tiny Burrito was quite nice.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I was really confused by all the weird apologetic build-up the death penalty segment got, as well as the "Here's a reward, you deserve it" thing. Was it just meant as a joke, or were the writers genuinely worried about overwhelming viewers? Why would this segment overwhelm people more than other topics the show covers?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bass Bottles posted:

I was really confused by all the weird apologetic build-up the death penalty segment got, as well as the "Here's a reward, you deserve it" thing. Was it just meant as a joke, or were the writers genuinely worried about overwhelming viewers? Why would this segment overwhelm people more than other topics the show covers?

Someone mentioned it earlier, but if you're going to talk about the death penalty on a comedy show you're probably going to lose some people in the audience. If you can't get a joke to work, it's either going to be painfully unfunny or pretty loving offensive. So I think it's partially there to assure the viewers that John's going to be as respectful as possible and also a little meta gag because he knows it's a pretty hot-button topic.

Also we got to see that adorable little hamster. :3:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but if you're going to talk about the death penalty on a comedy show you're probably going to lose some people in the audience. If you can't get a joke to work, it's either going to be painfully unfunny or pretty loving offensive. So I think it's partially there to assure the viewers that John's going to be as respectful as possible and also a little meta gag because he knows it's a pretty hot-button topic.

Also we got to see that adorable little hamster. :3:
"Sure we can make jokes about Indian massacres in our first week. They're brown and far away. But the American death penalty? Woah, too dark!"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

"Sure we can make jokes about Indian massacres in our first week. They're brown and far away. But the American death penalty? Woah, too dark!"

Unfortunately this is the unironic reality.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is massacres are, I would hope, not a two-sided issue like the death penalty is. I'm very strongly anti-death-penalty myself but other people are just as strongly pro, which is why Oliver played up how apprehensive he was of even mentioning it - it's a subject that starts virulent arguments. If someone's writing in to LWT outraged at the lack of support for their pro-Indian-Massacre stance I certainly don't want to meet them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

The death penalty is just SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Good lord.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 7, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haha. I wonder what animal we'll see being cute next time he wants to try to talk about something serious. Maybe he'll stick to similar and show a hamster being served a spaghetti meal.

Rape Victim Blaming

Republican Presidential Nominee Debates

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 7, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Haha. I wonder what animal we'll see being cute next time he wants to try to talk about something serious. Maybe he'll stick to similar and show a hamster being served a spaghetti meal.

Rape Victim Blaming

Republican Presidential Nominee Debates

How are all these rodents able to afford personal chefs when good honest Americans are barely keeping their handguns fed?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

How are all these rodents able to afford personal chefs when good honest Americans are barely keeping their handguns fed?

Welcome to Obama's America.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

They keep their chefs on Federal land, and don't pay chef taxes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VagueRant posted:

Yes, that about sums up your average American's thought process.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but talking about massacres in India is nothing but intellectual cock stroking. There's nothing we, as Americans, can do about how lovely India is as a country. We only like hearing about it because it makes us feel smart and compassionate. "Awwwww, those poor Indians. Someone should do something about that. *sips wine*" When you bring up a domestic issue like the Death Penalty or, even better, local issues like state corruption, the viewer has the power to do something about it but actively chooses not to. That makes them much more disturbing to hear about in general.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but talking about massacres in India is nothing but intellectual cock stroking. There's nothing we, as Americans, can do about how lovely India is as a country. We only like hearing about it because it makes us feel smart and compassionate. "Awwwww, those poor Indians. Someone should do something about that. *sips wine*" When you bring up a domestic issue like the Death Penalty or, even better, local issues like state corruption, the viewer has the power to do something about it but actively chooses not to. That makes them much more disturbing to hear about in general.

There's actually sweet gently caress all the average american can do to change a political thing like state sanctioned murder.

Now, if you have enough moneyfree speech, that's another story.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

There's actually sweet gently caress all the average american can do to change a political thing like state sanctioned murder.

Nah a few states have abolished it in the past decade, after it was upheld by the supreme court IIRC in the late 80s/early 90s. Off the top of my head Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Pretty sure O'Malley in Maryland campaigned on it when he ran for governor. It got to that point because there was a comfortable enough majority in state legislatures, but it wouldn't have been an issue unless people had made it one in the first place.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Irish Joe posted:

Agreed. For one, America is well known for not interfering in other countries affairs, and secondly it's not like things like Apartheid ended in part due to massive pressure from the international community.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As tacky as the comparison might seem, recent movement on the issues of gay marriage and marijuana legalization are good models for how the disempowered voting public could enact change here. Change people's opinions on the personal level, particularly young people, and then wait a generation or two. Television is actually probably the most powerful tool for this task. Nothing defines social norms like television.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

comes along bort posted:

Nah a few states have abolished it in the past decade, after it was upheld by the supreme court IIRC in the late 80s/early 90s. Off the top of my head Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Pretty sure O'Malley in Maryland campaigned on it when he ran for governor. It got to that point because there was a comfortable enough majority in state legislatures, but it wouldn't have been an issue unless people had made it one in the first place.

Massachusetts is a no-death-penalty state. Right after the marathon bombing, a lot of New Englanders were miffed that the accused kid could (and will, I think) be tried federally and subject to death when, were he to be tried in-state, death wouldn't be on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
HBO have really cornered the stuff-nobody-else-talks-about market with Last Week Tonight and Vice.

• Locked thread