Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
He wants too drat much for that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

extreme_accordion posted:

He wants too drat much for that part.

I need it, honestly. Its stalled my engine build, and I can probably sell the wrong one I do have for something. I have some pretty desirable parts to hock eventually, so I'm not worried if he wants $100 for it or something.

edit: It does need to be for sure the late car part with M14 flare nuts, not the early M12 part. It also needs to be complete, all the way from silencer to flare nuts, no broken reeds or missing parts.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I need it, honestly. Its stalled my engine build, and I can probably sell the wrong one I do have for something. I have some pretty desirable parts to hock eventually, so I'm not worried if he wants $100 for it or something.

edit: It does need to be for sure the late car part with M14 flare nuts, not the early M12 part. It also needs to be complete, all the way from silencer to flare nuts, no broken reeds or missing parts.

I'll be taking some time off of work in a week or two - I can go back for the part then.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm hoping to have it drivable for the Buttonwillow LeMons Race, so I ended up just filling the ports with JB Weld and tapping them with the correct thread. It seems to work, but I probably can undo it if the correct air injection manifold shows up. Since that part was my only major hangup, I put the carb, intake manifold, and other parts on. The factory service manual is poorly organized (by process instead of by system) but I was able to find the right diagrams for the vacuum hoses so that should work when I try to start it.

Any ideas on pre-pressurizing the oiling system? The rebuilt engine hasn't ever been started, and I'm sure 25 year old assembly lube isn't good anymore. I can't spin the oil pump as its connected to the camshaft, but I can attempt to pressurize it through the oil pressure sender port.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Is anyone near Sparks, NV and can get some parts for me? I'll pay top dollar! http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/A67L035990

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

It runs great! I ended up pressurizing the oil system with an A/C flush machine filled with heated 20W-50 Valvoline VR1. The used carburetor seems to work fine, as does the EGR and everything else. I still have to finish the brakes and put the hood hinges back on (they're ripped out and need to be welded), but I might have this running in time for the Japanese Classic Car Show in September.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Congrats. I haven't forgotten I've just been denied any time off until the first week of July.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm doing final assembly and chasing electrical gremlins. It sucks to have 99% of the parts to get something done, have the time, then need another part that is a few days out.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 244 days!)

DJ Commie posted:

Is anyone near Sparks, NV and can get some parts for me? I'll pay top dollar! http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/A67L035990

Almost a month late, yeah, but - I'm somewhat nearby, but still with below-moderate abilities to extend my arm, carry things, etc. Wiggles is a bit south, and no idea where IV8 is these days, but maybe between all of us we can equal a whole. :v:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I honestly just need the brake line from the prop valve to left wheelwell, and the crankshaft pulley if it still is there.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I might be going Bosch ABS 5.x pulling this next weekend for spares if I'm not heavily sedated by then. I'll drop you a note if/when I get there. I pray its not rusted solid - all I did was pull weeds today and I am beat.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Mind sending me an email to djcommie at gee male? I have a list and can tell you the tools necessary.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Torn retard diaphram gets you this:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why isn't that a video?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why isn't that a video?

I keep trying to hit play but it's not working for me either.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Taken with a potato camera, that is the reason.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DJ Commie posted:

GRONK FIX CAR

It's always the torn retard diaphrams that get you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's how Gronk cook dinner.

In the video playing in my head, that thing sound better than it probably does in reality :v:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's how Gronk cook dinner.

In the video playing in my head, that thing sound better than it probably does in reality :v:

The mufflers are totally burned out (I wonder why), so it does sound pretty good.

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
Great find, I had one of these 20 years ago and it went forever until the tin rot killed the doors and underbody. We upgraded to an 80 model but kept the 78. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DJ Commie posted:

We need an AI photo album with this as the cover photo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God! I forgot about this thread! So, add this to the trend of AI-ers getting small cars, then? And someone create a FB album of AI-er's AI-est/smallest penis car photos!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I choose to believe there's a pipe on the other side too and it sounds like a pair of Harleys lane splitting.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There might as well be like that , both the mufflers are totally rotted out and it sounds like a cross between a VW with peashooter exhaust and an old inline 6 pickup truck.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I sent you an email. I might be able to go check it out this next weekend. Stuck with doctors, rehab, and all of that fun poo poo all drat week now.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Sorry Gronk but I'm bailing on this stainless multi-million dollar part in the eyes of the junk owner.
This guy is the sorta crazy that I just can't handle for very long.
But at 71 he's earned the right to not bath and pee whenever he wants I guess.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

No worries, I've ended up not needing it, and the system seems to still function somewhat, hopefully enough to pass smog.

Viggen, got your email, I'll let you know what I need.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rough running was traced back to a torn accelerator pump seal. Rebuilt the carb and now it leaks. May be a warped top cover, so I'll swap the other one I have and see. Luckily I have a second new rebuild kit, as well as Amazon delivering a third today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Its done! Short of reattaching the gas pedal cover (an eBay purchase) that I already broke, its ready to go. I was accepted to show it at the 2014 Concours d' Lemons this Saturday, but the prospect of towing it 300 miles with a 1985 Chevrolet truck with no overdrive is a bit much for me, let alone storing a 24 foot trailer and 20 foot long truck for the day in Monterey without it getting ticketed or towed. It would be a hell of a way to show it to potential buyers.

I do have a sweet 1997 California registration sticker for it as well, the last year of the white year stickers!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4600402370.html

I have a 1979 Subaru GL/DL for sale. This vehicle is a collector/restorers dream vehicle for those who love Subaru. It has a lot of character.

Details of the vehicle is the one and only custom model that was available. Roof rack, true 4x4 shift that Subaru does not offer anymore. The vehicle has survived without any major dings and dents other than one minor one on the bumper.

The paint has peeled in a lot of places, and the interior is cracked on the dash. Seats need covers, but they are not torn up.

The car runs and sounds good, but the engine will need to be sealed. It does leak oil in two places. It will probably need a head to be replaced or rebuilt and the head gasket needs replacing. The carburetor was rebuilt recently (2014). It has classic car plates right now because it wouldn't pass smog, but that was before the carb rebuild. I have not tried a re-smog since. It also has a hole in the exhaust that will also need to be replaced or repaired. It also has a set of new tires.

The car never came with A/C, but the heater core was bypassed also. It needs a new heater core. A couple of the door handles will need to be reworked/replaced.

All in all this is a neat little car to drive, and if rebuild, a very neat little car to show off. I truly mean it when I say this car has character! I ask for $900 and that is below low book on NADA, but I am more than willing to negotiate. If you are into Subaru cars old and new then this is a truly a sight to see! You will not be disappointed.

Cash only and I will not ship

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

"Does leak oil in two places."

Above and Below?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Everywhere and every place that 'everywhere' doesn't cover.

On the plus side, the car is done. There's a small list of things to do like getting tires on the new wheels and the rear left wheel bearing, but I purchased another flat 4 powered vehicle and this has to go. Anyone interested?

I bought a 1963 VW Beetle!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

E: VVVV gently caress THAT poo poo

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 18, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

You better make that poo poo into a Baja.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

It already is, its an all-metal original body styled into a Manx-ish buggy, 24K miles, and has the original 1600 singleport engine and trans.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Why did you not make a thread for this immediately?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why did you not make a thread for this immediately?

I pick it up on Saturday!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

It already is, its an all-metal original body styled into a Manx-ish buggy, 24K miles, and has the original 1600 singleport engine and trans.

Any idea how many times the odometer has rolled over? Not tat it matters all that much with an old beetle unless it's a garage queen.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Any idea how many times the odometer has rolled over? Not tat it matters all that much with an old beetle unless it's a garage queen.

Since I have the title from 1968 and its been disassembled for 17 years, I doubt it has rolled over more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

• Locked thread