Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Crisis Core is more fun on the hardest difficulty. The medium one is too easy.

The last thing I'd want is to have even more damage sponges with that weird as gently caress random DMW thing clicking randomly in the background and trigger-button clicking and jumprolling everywhere.

The story, that I've played so far, seems like it could be kinda neat - if cliched as all hell and back - but man, that combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crap PPSSPP has one hell of an interface. That sort of prettiness is what I'd expect from a console!

E: Now I'm getting an annoying crash in Ac!d right at the start, during a cutscene. Anybody else having this issue?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 2, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's a Metal Gear game, right? Kojima always goes for weird out-of-whack code solutions and fringe cases, so they might be problematic. I heard that if you delete a savegame in Peace Walker, it somehow deletes your entire SAVEDATA folder. Which holds your saves for all games. (Though apparently it happens in a few other games, too.) Then there's funny stuff like the star ranking for items always displaying highest rank before you pick up the item, and displaying correctly in the inventory, or something.

Anyways, i found some issues that might be related to your case. You should try unticking the "Fast Memory" option, i think it's enabled by default.

And for anyone still playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PPSSPP, i recently finished some scripts. Since PPSSPP doesn't have in-game browser support, the only way to get download quests (and the unlockable bonus content) is doing it on a real PSP at the moment, then pulling the saves off the memory stick and using them with PPSSPP.
Since i can't for the life of me find the PSP anymore, i had to do it manually; wrote a couple of scripts and some huge 50kb of batch files to do the whole thing solely on PC. A little side effect is that you can theoretically also import custom user made quests into your save game.
If anyone's interested, i can upload it somewhere.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

HenryEx posted:

That's a Metal Gear game, right? Kojima always goes for weird out-of-whack code solutions and fringe cases, so they might be problematic. I heard that if you delete a savegame in Peace Walker, it somehow deletes your entire SAVEDATA folder. Which holds your saves for all games. (Though apparently it happens in a few other games, too.) Then there's funny stuff like the star ranking for items always displaying highest rank before you pick up the item, and displaying correctly in the inventory, or something.

Anyways, i found some issues that might be related to your case. You should try unticking the "Fast Memory" option, i think it's enabled by default.

And for anyone still playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PPSSPP, i recently finished some scripts. Since PPSSPP doesn't have in-game browser support, the only way to get download quests (and the unlockable bonus content) is doing it on a real PSP at the moment, then pulling the saves off the memory stick and using them with PPSSPP.
Since i can't for the life of me find the PSP anymore, i had to do it manually; wrote a couple of scripts and some huge 50kb of batch files to do the whole thing solely on PC. A little side effect is that you can theoretically also import custom user made quests into your save game.
If anyone's interested, i can upload it somewhere.

I am very interested

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

HenryEx posted:

It worked, thanks!

Can I just say how drat pretty these games are? Valkyria Chronicles 2 should not have been left to rot on the PSP. So unfortunate that so many great games are so hampered by the hardware they're released on.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

straight jerkers posted:

I am very interested

Alright. Whipped up a little readme, but the gist of it is: Unzip, copy your MHP2NDG.BIN and PARAM.SFO save files into the folder, start save tools.bat.

Remove PSP encryption, remove game encryption (yeah, the saves are double encrypted), download your quests, then add game encryption and PSP encryption again. Move updated MHP2NDG.BIN and PARAM.SFO back.

Download Link.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 15, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If anyone's willing to do a quick write-up of whatever Monster Hunter PSP game is the best I'd be happy to add it to the OP (alongside that patch), I'm not too big on Monster Hunter myself but it's definitely one of the big PSP franchises and it would be nice to have a working multiplayer game in the list.

Also, added the Ac!d 1 problem to the games list, since that's a pretty important thing to bring up.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 4, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is the last and probably best one they released for PSP but it doesn't actually work in the emulator. Uh but here's the weird thing: Capcom ported Portable 3rd to PS3 with HD textures and everything and somehow, through some kind of dark magic, the HD PS3 version of the game DOES work in PPSSPP. It looks great and there's a fairly comprehensive English patch for it. You can even do online adhoc with a VPN like Hamachi and an adhoc server program that someone slapped together.

Found a screenshot

The other PSP Monster Hunters seem to work normally in the emulator. I haven't tried online play with them but it probably works just as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
P3RD HD works like that because the PS3 disc just contained a PSP ISO (with different textures) that ran through a customized version of the Minis emulator.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Does monster hunter have combat in any way similar to a game like Dark Souls? Like the slow and deliberate stalking rather than blahblahboring sword fights that just have you walk up to someone and hit them 6 times and then they die?

I am not really big on crafting or collecting poo poo, but maybe the game would still be fun - is there a good story behind it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Drifter posted:

Does monster hunter have combat in any way similar to a game like Dark Souls? Like the slow and deliberate stalking rather than blahblahboring sword fights that just have you walk up to someone and hit them 6 times and then they die?

I am not really big on crafting or collecting poo poo, but maybe the game would still be fun - is there a good story behind it?

It's somewhat slow and deliberate because you're fighting T Rex's flying grandson who will kill you in 2-3 hits with level appropriate gear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drifter posted:

is there a good story behind it?

Haha no. You go around loving up monsters to make weapons and armour out of their corpses and gently caress up bigger monsters. It's compelling enough, but you don't play it for the story.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the whole point is to cut up Godzilla and wear his ballsac for a hat.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

There are monsters and you hunt them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Here's a pretty good video on why people play Monster Hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKyaE_HKV0

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Do any of the monster games not have those loading screens and small areas that you jump between? That was the one thing that totally turned me off to the series, and technology has advanced so far past that being necessary now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

Do any of the monster games not have those loading screens and small areas that you jump between? That was the one thing that totally turned me off to the series, and technology has advanced so far past that being necessary now.

At this point its just how they work. There are some maps with really big areas but they're still chunked up some.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
As someone that tried Monster Hunter because the combat looked similar to Dark Souls, it's like comparing the combat from Resident Evil 3 to 4. They look the same, but it's basically a tank in comparison to DS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Here's a pretty good video on why people play Monster Hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKyaE_HKV0

That looks pretty cool. Doesn't seem like my kind of game, though.

Also, until I played Final Fantasy Type-0 I had never seen a chocobo brutally gunned down by an execution squad and bleed out in the middle of a city street. :ohdear:

Not too shabby.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tae posted:

As someone that tried Monster Hunter because the combat looked similar to Dark Souls, it's like comparing the combat from Resident Evil 3 to 4. They look the same, but it's basically a tank in comparison to DS.

I dunno, sword and shield plays a lot like Dark Souls. Fast movement, quick slashes, can roll out of most attacks. Biggest difference would be that you don't want to rely on your shield to eat hits for you because it's terrible at it and you're always better off rolling through monster attacks. So it's like Dark Souls with a lovely low block percentage shield. Other weapons are very different though, yeah. They're like fighting game characters, they all have a unique playstyle to them.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Drifter posted:

That looks pretty cool. Doesn't seem like my kind of game, though.

Also, until I played Final Fantasy Type-0 I had never seen a chocobo brutally gunned down by an execution squad and bleed out in the middle of a city street. :ohdear:

Not too shabby.

I suddenly have a stupidly strong desire to play FFT-0

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Sir Shion posted:

I suddenly have a stupidly strong desire to play FFT-0

I'm a couple hours in and it's pretty fun! Worth checking out. Bit cutscene-heavy at the start but nothing remarkable for the genre.

Monster Hunter and Dark Souls both have measured, methodical melee combat as their main draw, but they are two very very different incarnations of that design goal. There's much less rolling through attacks in MH, because i-frames are much lower unless your weapon is sheathed. As a result, and due to the lack of lock-on and focus on hitting specific parts of enemies, there's a lot of learning where each of the enemy's attacks will place the monster and getting yourself in position to strike ahead of time. Hammer and Greatsword are the biggest examples of that playstyle but everything uses it to some extent.

It's worth saying that higher-end content in MH, particularly solo, is also much more difficult than Dark Souls.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's a little grim, innit? I mean, it starts with our fresh-faced teenage military heroes ripping through the streets, killing fleeing enemy soldiers and fueling their magic by quite visibly ripping the essence from their foes corpses.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dominic White posted:

It's a little grim, innit? I mean, it starts with our fresh-faced teenage military heroes ripping through the streets, killing fleeing enemy soldiers and fueling their magic by quite visibly ripping the essence from their foes corpses.

I didn't really get why they had this huge soliloquy and then requiem for this dying guy and his chocobo right at the beginning of the game when we've been given no reason to know about or care about him at all. It seemed.. a bit forced, at best.

At some point during the lengthy requiem, I figured it was just part of the illustrious "Fabula Nova Crystallis" experience, and promptly hit the Skip Cutscene button.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Drifter posted:

Mercury_Storm posted:

Do any of the monster games not have those loading screens and small areas that you jump between?
Try God Eater Burst. It have a decent plot with 40+ short cutscenes. Each map is large but not long stretching like MH, and no loading in between. It's just one big map.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 4, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The segmented map and transitions in Monser Hunter are, at this point, part of the strategy.
If you're walking around at 12% HP after a hit and a monster is after you in Rage mode, depending on the monster you just never have the two seconds it takes to chug a potion. Clever hunters anticipate something like an imminent Rage and fight near a map border. When you need a couple of seconds, you take a few steps through the map transition, because the monster cannot follow you immediately. So now you have the time to re-apply buffs that ran out, heal up, etc.
The tradeoff is that the smaller, non-boss monsters in a regio can respawn when you leave it and come back. So you potentially have a few troublesome guests when you come back.

I like the mechanic.

/edit: Also, the first time i played Dark Souls and got to the Gaping Dragon (and partially at the Gargoyles earlier), i thought "Wow, this game is very much like an easier Monster Hunter!"

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nyaa posted:

Try God Eater Burst. It have a decent plot with 40+ short cutscenes. Each map is large but not long stretching like MH, and no loading in between. It's just one big map.
Be warned re; God Eater, the monsters are cool to fight but the plot is one of the most anime things to exist.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

The segmented map and transitions in Monser Hunter are, at this point, part of the strategy.
If you're walking around at 12% HP after a hit and a monster is after you in Rage mode, depending on the monster you just never have the two seconds it takes to chug a potion. Clever hunters anticipate something like an imminent Rage and fight near a map border. When you need a couple of seconds, you take a few steps through the map transition, because the monster cannot follow you immediately. So now you have the time to re-apply buffs that ran out, heal up, etc.
The tradeoff is that the smaller, non-boss monsters in a regio can respawn when you leave it and come back. So you potentially have a few troublesome guests when you come back.

I like the mechanic.

/edit: Also, the first time i played Dark Souls and got to the Gaping Dragon (and partially at the Gargoyles earlier), i thought "Wow, this game is very much like an easier Monster Hunter!"

You could abuse the loading screens in the Metal Gear Solid games, particularly in 2 and Peace Walker, because the game can't process anything that's happening outside of the small room that's currently loaded. Although the areas became much bigger in 3 and 4, it's not until MGSV that it became properly open-world. In Ground Zeroes, all the guards are in memory at all times, so there's no way to despawn them either with a loading screen or a cutscene, since I think they require you to not be in an alert before they can be triggered.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Be warned re; God Eater, the monsters are cool to fight but the plot is one of the most anime things to exist.

MST3King the story is half the fun.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There are a few games in the Densha De Go! and Train Simulator series on PSP if you want to play them, also the Train Simulator + Densha De Go! game is on there. The mainline Densha De Go! games are basically ports of the Final PS2 game but with separate train lines, Train Simulator and the DDG crossover game use real video footage.

I'm not sure if any of them run in PPSSPP though, last I checked Train Sim had a few issues.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Zeether posted:

There are a few games in the Densha De Go! and Train Simulator series on PSP if you want to play them, also the Train Simulator + Densha De Go! game is on there. The mainline Densha De Go! games are basically ports of the Final PS2 game but with separate train lines, Train Simulator and the DDG crossover game use real video footage.

I'm not sure if any of them run in PPSSPP though, last I checked Train Sim had a few issues.

I loaded up one of the DDG games I have on PPSSPP (to see if it looks better) and it worked fine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remember Train Simulator had some weird problems with the video footage unless you messed around in the options and even then it would bounce between a steady framerate and slowdown. I need to see if that works now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does anything have to be done to pass saves back and forth between the emulator and an actual psp? I have a fairly technically challenged friend trying to get me back into MHFU but he does most of his playing on the actual hardware and I'd like to be able to play with him.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Does anything have to be done to pass saves back and forth between the emulator and an actual psp? I have a fairly technically challenged friend trying to get me back into MHFU but he does most of his playing on the actual hardware and I'd like to be able to play with him.

Not that I've seen. Uh, you might need cfw on the psp? I haven't tried without it, but it's always been as easy as copying the save folder back and forth for me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

It looks like the game imports saves just fine from PSP but may not work the other way around. I imported some saves from my vita even, just fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I finally convinced him to check out MHP3rd instead but we're having a hell of a time getting multiplayer running. I've been having him connect directly to my box that's running adhocserver and we can both join online gathering halls but neither of us can see the other while in them. The server shows us both connecting and turning the server off disables online gathering halls so I don't know what's going on.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're not using the MHP3rd HD version (the one from the PS3), you'll have to decrypt some extra authentification certificates or modules or whatever, via a real PSP, since the keys or decryption method for these are apparently not known. You need to get to a point in game where these auth files are needed, which is when the emulator will generate a key and a data file, which you then have to decrypt on a PSP and then move back to move past the problem. The whole thing is a pain, since you have to experience every single hang/crash/whatever before you can fix it.
The HD version does not need those, which is why it runs better than the normal one and was supported earlier by the emulator.

That's PROBABLY not causing your immediate problem, but i'm warning you ahead of time here.

I myself had a hell of a time getting (local LAN) multiplayer to work on MHFU, with a similar problem of one person not seeing the other. If it's even remotely the same, make sure that both of you are explicitly connecting to the adhoc server's IP. If it's running on your PC, you can't connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1, you need to spell out the exact address.
It's really dumb, but it worked for MHFU at least.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HenryEx posted:

If you're not using the MHP3rd HD version (the one from the PS3), you'll have to decrypt some extra authentification certificates or modules or whatever, via a real PSP, since the keys or decryption method for these are apparently not known. You need to get to a point in game where these auth files are needed, which is when the emulator will generate a key and a data file, which you then have to decrypt on a PSP and then move back to move past the problem. The whole thing is a pain, since you have to experience every single hang/crash/whatever before you can fix it.
The HD version does not need those, which is why it runs better than the normal one and was supported earlier by the emulator.

That's PROBABLY not causing your immediate problem, but i'm warning you ahead of time here.

I myself had a hell of a time getting (local LAN) multiplayer to work on MHFU, with a similar problem of one person not seeing the other. If it's even remotely the same, make sure that both of you are explicitly connecting to the adhoc server's IP. If it's running on your PC, you can't connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1, you need to spell out the exact address.
It's really dumb, but it worked for MHFU at least.

We're using the HD version to avoid that exact issue and I just switched the IP on my end from localhost and it still doesn't work.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

We've experienced plenty of other problems but that one is new to me. No idea how your friend could connect to the server without showing up in the game. Using Hamachi? Everyone has green lights? Ports all open? Have you tried letting him host? Same emulator versions, same isos?

E: turn off fast memory if you haven't, it really screws up online adhoc, though we never had trouble with it until we got up to 3 players

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not using hamachi, I just had him connect to my actual static ip. We're using the same iso, the same emulator version and turned off fast memory. Also set the emulated cpu clock to 1000 per instructions in some thread on the ppsspp forums. Haven't tried letting him host because he's a little :downs: around this kind of thing and his box is a lot weaker than mine. Already spent hours sorting out emulator configuration issues on his end just to get in game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread