Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Partially inspired by the above post, a warning: don't look up stuff for the Kagerou Project. Spoilers will be goddamn everywhere, and this early on, they'll confuse you more than they'll actually explain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

I liked the way they showed Shintaro smiling during his "you're weak" line instead of the :geno: he has in the manga (and the complete lack of description he has in the LN). He's just so much more punchable as presented here.

(Also interesting that they had him in black instead of red.)

It's nice that the adaptation is varying, just in general. I like not knowing exactly what's going to happen, even if it means sometimes gnashing my teeth at their choice of pacing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

pandaK posted:

Was he wearing red in the LN's scene? I haven't read them yet, but it's interesting to note that there is an actual thematic reason for this.

Yeah, he's explicitly wearing the red jersey in the light novel.

It's his middle school uniform, so they may just be trying to distance it from the "modern day" events, but... Yeah, thematically, it's interesting.

KasaiAisu posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine anyone other than SHAFT animating this show. Loving the ride so far, if we actually get a reasonably concrete ending this might be contending Ping Pong and Mushishi S2 as my AOTS. I'm extremely curious as to what is up with Shintaro. This anime raises so many questions while teasing answers, it seems like the next episode can never come fast enough, which is always a good thing.

Was the original source also told out-of-order? Because it seems very fitting.

Very, very much out of order.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Jin really, really likes his gradual revelations. It's handled a little like Little Busters (the VN, not the anime): it's a mystery by virtue of teasing lots of things and never letting you quite get the whole picture. If that isn't doing it for you, then that's kind of a problem, unfortunately, but... Fortunately, one of those gradual revelations is "there is a plot."

That particular twist came around the time of Lost Time Memory, though, and episode 8's titled after that song. So if the lack of a visible driving plot means that the series just isn't doing it for you, then we're right about at the point where that might change...

Might, mind you. The anime's changed enough things that I think even the fully-spoiled people aren't exactly sure where this is going.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm impressed that they've managed to change so much material but still keep Lost Time Memory exactly the same relative to the rest of the series: a lot of SOL with some weird moments, followed by the abrupt and unexplained avalanche of new answers and new questions. LTM is what made me really like the original PV series, so I'm glad to see a pretty good adaptation of it.

Ryas posted:

The second half of episode 4 definitely took place after the kidnapping. As for Konoha, well, apparently Hibiya, Hiyori, Konoha and Shintaro were all sucked into SHAFTworld at once, so maybe he was the "toll" Shintaro had to pay to return?

Nah, Shintaro had the red eyes appear right before a flashback to Ayano, Takane and Haruka earlier that same episode. This last episode told us both that 1) leaving that place is what triggers them and 2) Shintaro's eye power shows him the past. (At least the past, anyway.)

So he's probably had them from the start of the series... Somehow. Which makes things interesting in a lot of ways.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Neeksy posted:

Okay I am pretty good at understanding things like Paranoia Agent, Lain, Boogiepop, etc. But the ending to this one just escapes me.

Explanation!

The group gathers and confronts the evil snake basically the same way every time, except that Shintaro is there with them. This usually results in everyone being brutally murdered, followed by Marry flipping out and resetting everything... Except that Shintaro and Marry survived one time, so she gave him a power which gets transferred along every time she resets the world. Shintaro remembers everything that has ever happened to him in every single lifetime since. (Which is also why he's a "genius." He's done everything a hundred times by now, so he has a lot of practice.)

Apparently this brain infodump includes a way to leave the other world without leaving someone behind, so he kills himself to enter the other world and then brings Ayano back out with him. (When he's talking to Ayano in the other world in previous episodes, he's really talking to the snake that gives him that power. Yes, this is needlessly confusing.) Ayano being there collects all of the powers in one room, allowing Marry to gain full control of the powers and become the Queen. Marry takes them to the other world, where the teacher's wife is, so his wish is granted and the snake can't take control any longer. Then she absorbs the snake.

Either 1) dying still funnels them to the other world and Marry brings them back out afterward (because the powers are what are keeping them alive), or 2) the summer scene afterward was a daydream and everyone except Marry is trapped in the other world or very, very dead (as implied by the final dialogue). Both are equally plausible!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Sindai posted:

Thanks. But who was the tall white-haired guy? I never figured that out.

Tall white-haired guy is Konoha. Haruka's snake-granted power is Awakening Eyes, which allowed him to make a new "ideal" body, hence the ridiculous physical abilities: Konoha is literally a video game character. Somehow this process wiped Konoha's memory, but the scene with Shintaro in the last episode suggests that it was actually a loophole for the usual "one stays, one leaves" rule for the other world: Haruka stayed, Konoha left. So the Konoha we know is actually Awakening Eyes, the snake.

This loophole also probably applied to Ene: Ene left, Takane stayed. Except Ene is Takane, since her power transfers her actual consciousness. Her body got left behind instead. So how did it appear in the lab? Dunno! It would have made more sense if Shintaro carried it out instead.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Re: Ene. I was under the impression that the body was just a leftover trophy from previous timelines like the other stuff he had floating in the jars.

I just interpreted that as a Shaft thing--I mean, if Ayano is throwing herself off a roof in every timeline, then it's pretty unlikely he'd have her scarf. Shaft is pretty big on visual metaphor.

Which made them sort of a mixed bag for this series, really, because the Heat Haze (where Hibiki and Hiyori were looping, where Ayano was) is supposed to make you go "what?" instead of "oh, right, it's Shaft."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I think the light novels are still ongoing? But I haven't read any of them.

• Locked thread