Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Making 80's-era Tomino want to kill himself isn't exactly an accomplishment

Yeah, the thing is Nagano is directly the reason why this was the case. I'm going 100% off memory here since I can't actually find a source anymore, but my understanding is that Tomino basically gave Nagano a career by getting him jobs working on Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Zeta Gundam, etc. and Nagano repaid him by loving his wife. This drove Tomino just a little crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Thing is, while that story is bleakly hilarious, its also almost certainly not true, since Tomino is still married and was perfectly willing to work with Nagano as late as 1998. Like I said, half the stories about Nagano are bullshit, but that just makes the other half more ridiculous.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

...Dorothy of Oz...total garbage...

I don't understand how every now and then, some terrible animated film by an unknown studio manages to get big name actors to do voices. I mean, maybe the actors do them when they're in a career slump and/or need a paycheck, but surely they're not that desperate.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Work is work, and $70 million is a lot of money to launder-most-of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't understand how every now and then, some terrible animated film by an unknown studio manages to get big name actors to do voices. I mean, maybe the actors do them when they're in a career slump and/or need a paycheck, but surely they're not that desperate.

Most people don't take animation seriously, so having your name attached to a bad animated film is almost irrelevant to your career. It's also a very small time commitment (and no "gain 40 lbs then lose it" bullshit) for what's usually a good chunk of change. Jane Lynch does this for even the worst of films and it doesn't seem to have affected her professionally.

I think Hiddleston did a genuinely good job on The Pirate Fairy though, which is one of the better direct-to-DVD films I've seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Legends of Oz cost $70 million. It at least has pretty good character design and movement, but it looks like a direct-to-video feature from five years ago with unfinished rendering. Even the recent Tinkerbell movies look great, even for being direct to video.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Legends of Oz cost $70 million.

The producers stole all the money :thumbsup:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Thing is, while that story is bleakly hilarious, its also almost certainly not true, since Tomino is still married and was perfectly willing to work with Nagano as late as 1998. Like I said, half the stories about Nagano are bullshit, but that just makes the other half more ridiculous.

Ugh. This is why I wish there was more English-language info on these people outside of their professional lives, I really want to know if that story is true or apocryphal now.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Takeshi Koike and his team spent 7 years of constant delays and setbacks to hand-draw the 100,000 images to make Redline, and the result has got to be the prettiest god drat car move ever made.

There's as much plot as an episode of Wacky Races and pretty much all the standard tropes of japanese animation creep in, but the sound and visuals are so exhilarating and have so much obvious passion behind them. It's probably the most fun I've had watching any film, and the amount of work went into it blows my mind. In summary,

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Redline isn't even troubled, its production went pretty smoothly (even if it did take a long time) and the resulting movie owns like hell.

You can actually watch it on Youtube courtesy of Manga Entertainment! But in case you need more convincing, this trailer for it was enough to sustain the hype for it for like a year and a half before any of us could actually watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's a really good Thames documentary on Richard Williams Studio circa 1980 - while it's pretty obviously meant to promote The Thief and the Cobbler, it's more of a rundown on the studio up until then. There's an awkward investor meeting near the end where they seem to be pretty bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpavhSO5W60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOfBVAFIg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDhn70GBEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeayVYjezaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD89TIG_64o

Pretty quality documentary considering most on animation tend to be puff pieces that focus more on the voices and music.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's a really good Thames documentary on Richard Williams Studio circa 1980 - while it's pretty obviously meant to promote The Thief and the Cobbler, it's more of a rundown on the studio up until then. There's an awkward investor meeting near the end where they seem to be pretty bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpavhSO5W60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOfBVAFIg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDhn70GBEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeayVYjezaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD89TIG_64o

Pretty quality documentary considering most on animation tend to be puff pieces that focus more on the voices and music.

On a similar note, somebody did a write-up on Vinton Studios and how Will Vinton was eventually ousted from his own company. It's pretty bittersweet since he was a talented man but on the other hand him leaving was the catalyst for it becoming Laika Studios and they haven't had a dud yet.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

On a similar note, somebody did a write-up on Vinton Studios and how Will Vinton was eventually ousted from his own company. It's pretty bittersweet since he was a talented man but on the other hand him leaving was the catalyst for it becoming Laika Studios and they haven't had a dud yet.

This has led to me watching this clip from his first full-length animated movie, which is the most loving horrifying thing I've ever seen.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This has led to me watching this clip from his first full-length animated movie, which is the most loving horrifying thing I've ever seen.

Oh, hey. My department head worked on this.
:gonk:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshifan823 posted:

The Adventures of Mark Twain is a pretty rad movie, terrible synthesizer score notwithstanding.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Adventures of Mark Twain is a pretty rad movie, terrible synthesizer score notwithstanding.

Agreed. The Adventures of Mark Twain is definitely worth watching. It's part horrifying, part heart warming, and all very strange.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Not all animated passion projects fail! Consuming Spirits took something like 12 years and not only did it get finished and released, but the result is amazing. No home-video release yet though, and the thought of something so accomplished falling through the cracks makes me :negative:

Ralph Bakshi's movies all leave a lot to be desired by most reckonings but it's pretty incredible that he was able to for a time steadily make personal animated features and find an audience with them, considering what (as we see in this thread) usually happens.

edit: semantics :spergin:

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 21, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Thanks, this was pretty interesting.

As sad as it is that a man of his legacy and talent was basically ousted so that Nike King's son could have the company, amazingly, Nike King's son is really loving good. Coraline and ParaNorman are some of the best films I've seen, period, and Boxtrolls is looking similarly positive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Egbert Souse posted:

The animation itself is stunning, with overall art design resembling MC Escher and Salvador Dali. Not unlike The Thief and the Cobbler, there's barely any plot, it rambles on, and it's basically a series of setpieces, but the animation is quite astonishing. As good as the restored version is, the UK release is a bit more entertaining.

In some ways that movie is like what Williams's project might have ended as -- beautiful, but incomprehensible.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Does Destino count? Back in the mid 40's, Salvador Dali was working with Disney artists on an animated short/musical segment, but with the financial woes of the studio post-war and various otehr setbacks, it never got past a set of storyboards and 17 seconds of test footage. It was completed 58 years later, which puts even the Thief and the Cobbler to shame in terms of production hiatuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN4deuZU

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 7, 2014

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bakshi has a weird thing going where almost nothing he's made apart from American pop is really "good" by conventional metrics for film, but he doens't make conventional films, and even as dodgy as his pacing can be, hsi work is more "improvisational" I suppose than Disney. The man never uses pencil tests. He's a full broe ahead like, beat poet but with animation. Heavy Traffic especially is a must-see. Fritz is greta but Heavy Traffic is great.

Hey Good Looking is weird, difficult to find, and not great even by Bakshi metrics but still interesting enough to justify the time. American Pop is his most polished work imho, in sturcture and pacing and in the animation not going in too many very crazy directions. Cool World sucks but the background art is ridiculous and amazing. Wizards is a genuine stoner classic. ice and Fire is meh. LOTR is kind of neat but mostly unfortunate. Coonskin is interesting and I really like a lot of the poo poo he does there. Bakshi's a great grizzly old artist, and he's always had that great avant garde, don't give a gently caress spirit where his whole career displays a fantastic passion for animation, and for the style of a time that's still there in him, but without being mawkish. Bakshi is sentimental and nostalgic for a dirtier time, and doesn't seem to think we've lost the nasty inclinations that lead to the dirt, we just polish it up more now. Bakshi is anything but polished. He's a proud and loud piece of pavement torn form the living street.

I got a doodle by him for backing his kickstarter. it's hella cool.

that's my weedy ramble about Bakshi. He's one of my favorites because he's the Bukowski of moving cartoon pictures.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Bit of a threadromance, and not a long post, but does anyone remember seeing this way back in 2001-2003? I think it fits the bill, because I remember it being...um. :gonk:

http://www.brokensaints.com/

Apparently, it's "award winning". It's less of a motion picture and more of a motion comic, but this thread just reminded me of it.

http://youtu.be/hIdlSN13Qqs

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
^ If you were living in Vancouver at the time, the local media gave them plenty of press, too, since it was "local talents making it big with trailblazing project!" Also every (Canadian big box retailer) Future Shop, at least in BC and Alberta, had multiple copies of the DVD on hand for the rest of the decade. And possibly still do.

gandlethorpe posted:

Voice-over is the only type of work where if it tanks, it doesn't hurt the careers of the actors. Look at that Sinbad movie Dreamworks made.

That, plus there's plenty of easy money opportunities for those who aren't picky. And since Aladdin made studio execs and producers peachy-keen to get "CELEBRITIES!" in animated movies, someone will want your name on the poster for however many tickets (they presume) your presence will sell.

Desperation? Nah, just cashing in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This thread is probably the place for the saga of Miss Officer and Mr. Truffles, which can be read here. Basically, a Tumblr meme gets thousands of dollars in pledges despite no evidence at all that the teen creator can deliver. Thankfully, crashed before it became a thing, but some animation was created and an even bigger clusterfuck was avoided by apparently the narrowest of margins.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Pick posted:

This thread is probably the place for the saga of Miss Officer and Mr. Truffles, which can be read here. Basically, a Tumblr meme gets thousands of dollars in pledges despite no evidence at all that the teen creator can deliver. Thankfully, crashed before it became a thing, but some animation was created and an even bigger clusterfuck was avoided by apparently the narrowest of margins.

Oh, I remember reading about that one. How would copyright have worked if that actually went through? They planned to base the animation off of a drawing of a photograph, so ... does the photographer own the rights to the IP? Does the officer own the rights to her own image? Does the bear have to clear this with his PR department?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

John Liver posted:

Oh, I remember reading about that one. How would copyright have worked if that actually went through? They planned to base the animation off of a drawing of a photograph, so ... does the photographer own the rights to the IP? Does the officer own the rights to her own image? Does the bear have to clear this with his PR department?

Maybe the woman's appearance would have to be changed a bit so you don't run into likeness issues, but I don't think there would be issues beyond that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

"This project is terrible because it makes impressionable children think that cops are actual human beings."

-Actual reason given by one of the Tumblr people for leaving the project

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

This was supposed to be Ganax's next project after Wings of Honneamise but they were unable to get funding for it to be completed so they made pendulous breast space odyssey Gunbuster instead. They've been collectively bitter about it ever since and references to it show up in many of their works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJhxco5QWQ

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Given that most of the former important Gainax people can get whatever the hell they want funded at this point (if not outright fund it themselves, like Anno certainly could and Imaishi probably could), I'm surprised that movie has never been revisited.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Given that most of the former important Gainax people can get whatever the hell they want funded at this point (if not outright fund it themselves, like Anno certainly could and Imaishi probably could), I'm surprised that movie has never been revisited.

It was Sadamoto's baby and I don't think he cares about anything but his fleet of tiny European cars bought with Eva money now.

e: I think if this movie had been released/did well we'd have a really different Gainax today, the T&A/crazytime mixture they're known for pretty much came in with Anno and Gunbuster, before that they really just wanted to make "serious" sci-fi before learning that didn't really make the big bucks.

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 17, 2014

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Gainax tends to infuriate me as I'm in love with their animation and in loathe with their subject matter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

d0s posted:

This was supposed to be Ganax's next project after Wings of Honneamise but they were unable to get funding for it to be completed so they made pendulous breast space odyssey Gunbuster instead. They've been collectively bitter about it ever since and references to it show up in many of their works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJhxco5QWQ

Oh man, never heard of this and I thought I knew about early Gainax.

It does bring up a failed project called Aoki URU, which was to be another follow-up to Honneamise, about jet fighter pilots in a similar world. It was another Sadamoto/Yamaga/Anno project. I believe there was a flight simulator made at one point with the concept designs for the planes in 1998 and a subsequent revival of interest in 2001.

Supposedly, there was a poster at the Tokyo Animation Fair in 2013 that said that Gainax might be finally making this movie, but it was to debut this year and it obviously hasn't happened. Sadamoto himself said that the issue is finding sponsors.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Supposedly, there was a poster at the Tokyo Animation Fair in 2013 that said that Gainax might be finally making this movie, but it was to debut this year and it obviously hasn't happened. Sadamoto himself said that the issue is finding sponsors.

What was supposed to come out this year was a pilot film :lol:

e:

Das Boo posted:

Gainax tends to infuriate me as I'm in love with their animation and in loathe with their subject matter.

They've said as much themselves, a lot of them really loving hate pandering to the worst otaku but it's the only way they can even get a project funded. Honestly I think a lot of their poo poo is actually about that in a really roundabout, Japanese way

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 18, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also I haven't seen Gunbuster in years (been meaning to rewatch, haven't really found the time) but I remember feeling like its reputation for being a Titty Anime was pretty unfounded, there was like two racy scenes in the entire series and one of them didn't really seem to be played for boners.

Is my memory correct, or should I probably leave it be and not rewatch it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

d0s posted:

What was supposed to come out this year was a pilot film :lol:

Which would essentially be an animatic like the Route 20 pilot film above. :lol:

I'm pretty sure you could come up with something like that easily with Flash (don't even tell me, because the Route 20 pilot uses some very limited animation tricks, they could easily be .gifs), so this tells me that their own interest is pretty low.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also I haven't seen Gunbuster in years (been meaning to rewatch, haven't really found the time) but I remember feeling like its reputation for being a Titty Anime was pretty unfounded, there was like two racy scenes in the entire series and one of them didn't really seem to be played for boners.

I agree, the fanservice is a bit distracting in places (I honestly can think of 3 or 4 scenes, actually) but Gunbuster is pretty good that it's better than it's faults. You should rewatch it.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 18, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you read (Japanese) articles about Gunbuster during it's time they're like half taken up by discussion about just how revolutionary the titties are

e: Gunbuster is still a very good show

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The whole thing's sort of interesting to me because most of the time, when you see someone latch on to a cash cow like Eva, they use it to subsidize smaller, more personal projects that might not be as big of a success. Gainax, however, seems perfectly content to hoard their Eva money and leave really neat stuff like that unmade.

e:

d0s posted:

If you read (Japanese) articles about Gunbuster during it's time they're like half taken up by discussion about just how revolutionary the titties are

e: Gunbuster is still a very good show

Huh. I must have had a worse eye for that stuff in high school.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 18, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The whole thing's sort of interesting to me because most of the time, when you see someone latch on to a cash cow like Eva, they use it to subsidize smaller, more personal projects that might not be as big of a success. Gainax, however, seems perfectly content to hoard their Eva money and leave really neat stuff like that unmade.

This is how we got KareKano, FLCL, etc. That Gainax is pretty much gone though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wasn't Kare Kano work for hire, or am I getting it mixed up with something else? Also, one of these things is from well before that time and the other is from around that time period, so that just makes things more confusing. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wasn't Kare Kano work for hire, or am I getting it mixed up with something else? Also, one of these things is from well before that time and the other is from around that time period, so that just makes things more confusing. :psyboom:

KareKano was a thing Anno wanted to do IIRC. It's based on a super generic girls manga, the original author apparently hates the show.

e: I think you're thinking of Mahoromatic which is when they started to fall off hard

• Locked thread