Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

d0s posted:

KareKano was a thing Anno wanted to do IIRC. It's based on a super generic girls manga, the original author apparently hates the show.

I believe it's one of those books that Anno read to get into a female mindset for Evangelion, along with Ryu Murakami and Ebichu. Supposedly, he got into a tiff with the manga author over the direction of the show. The author felt the direction was focusing too heavily on the comedy and not enough on the romance, while Anno thought he was saying something important about relationships.

The series famously ends with Anno taking cels or drawings from the show's production, throwing them into the street and then setting them on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Young Freud posted:

The series famously ends with Anno taking cels or drawings from the show's production, throwing them into the street and then setting them on fire.

Remember when anime was good

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Young Freud posted:

I think I would watch practically any poo poo anime if the punchline was seeing the creator physically destroy the material all snuff-film style.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
To contribute to this thread because I find it fascinating and don't want it to die, we have the 1939 lost French film "St. Francis: Dreams and Nightmares".

The artist, Berthold Bartosch, had made the creepy "L'dee" short animation and was working on "St. Francis" as another short feature, but he had to haul rear end out of France due to the oncoming Nazi occupation. All his work on the film was destroyed save for a few images (which I haven't been able to find). He remained influential for years afterwards and later mentored an animator on 'Yellow Submarine', so at least his story has a happy ending.

L'Idee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Idea_(1932_film)

Also, I tried to find info on Hong Gil Dong (1967), which was the first Animated feature from South Korea, but it's pretty much impossible to find. There are only two copies known to exist and they are both in a Japanese art gallery.

• Locked thread