Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Real Athletes will overwhelm you foolish, unathletic teams.

But god drat I was planning on going Lesnar/LT/Ali first, then LT/Ali/Pacman, then LT/Ali/Jarrett.

I'm so mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Great White Hope posted:

But god drat I was planning on going Lesnar/LT/Ali first, then LT/Ali/Pacman, then LT/Ali/Jarrett.

I'm so mad.

Honestly I like your team better now, if only because who in the hell would've thought to pick a goddamn bear?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BlueArmyMan posted:

Honestly I like your team better now, if only because who in the hell would've thought to pick a goddamn bear?

Certainly not I, knowing that one team has Daniel Bryan on it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

Certainly not I, knowing that one team has Daniel Bryan on it.

There are bears, but then there is Victor, the Bear of Bears.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had the reverse problem, nobody I was ever even considering once I picked Okada got taken but I ended up changing what direction I wanted to go several times as people stayed on the board.

My first plan was Okada/DiBiase/Castagnoli(World Bank), but that quickly changed to Okada/DiBiase/Mayweather(the One Percent), although I was also tempted by Okada/Hansen/Kojima(Team LARIATOOO~!)

Then when Flair stayed on the board far longer than I expected I had to grab him over the Million Dollar Man, initially planning on Castagnoli or Devitt as the third Horseman before remembering how perfect a fit Pacman would be.

My two non Okada based teams I briefly considered at the outset in case he got taken quick were the Trio of Kings I mentioned before (Macho King, Lawler, Regal) and the Mysterious and Handsome Strangers (Midnight Rider, Giant Machine, Mr. America).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2014

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My original plan was Benoit/Invader/Snuka but then I was remembering other wrestlers who killed people and I realized there were funnier choices.

I was tempted to pick New Jack but I couldn't find any evidence his "justified homicides" were anything more than bluster and I take my academic standards when picking fake theme tag teams very seriously.

Great Khali was also a worst case scenario

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My original plan was Benoit/Invader/Snuka but then I was remembering other wrestlers who killed people and I realized there were funnier choices.

I was expecting the lazy options of Invader/Snuka when I saw your team name and I'm very happy you went with better options.

Similar to why I passed on Mayweather and one of Malone/Rodman.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I would have been a big fan of the one percent, personally. Every man has his price, and Mayweather can pay it!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
A terrible part of me also considered a team of Hayabusa/Droz/and Jesse Sorenson as team Wrestling is Fake

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Managed to pick an anti-cancer team and didn't have to use Batista. Go me.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A terrible part of me also considered a team of Hayabusa/Droz/and Jesse Sorenson as team Wrestling is Fake

I'm glad you went with the better part of you and chose Murderer's Row instead.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was tempted to pick New Jack but I couldn't find any evidence his "justified homicides" were anything more than bluster and I take my academic standards when picking fake theme tag teams very seriously.

Great Khali was also a worst case scenario

Kensuke Sasaki was still open.

Also, Gavok has clearly made the best team.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was hoping to get who I did with my last pick, but I couldn't imagine him still being available. With him there, I had to take him.

Original plans:

CM Punk + people with drug issues (Randy Savage, Eddie Guerrero, lots of other possibilities) -- Team CM Punk Professional Rehab, or Punk Anonymous

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Eddie Guerrero -- Team Vanilla Midgets, or Team PSP Pandering

Instead I went for a more conventional trios setup, with a talker/good worker in Punk, a high flyer/old school guy/legend in Macho (who by the way can also talk pretty well), and the muscle/big guy with with Andre.

Guess we'll see how picking a "serious" team fares against teams like Real Actual Murderers. If it's a conventional bracket that'll be my first opponent :ohdear:.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My original plan was the SHE.I.L.D. with Kana, SDR, and Aja Kong. However, Aja Kong was taken, so I was planning on taking another powerhouse. Then I noticed that nobody grabbed Sammartino so there we go.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Andre's never a bad choice, but you should've gone with Kojima for a triple diving elbow drop finisher.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I nearly drafted either Kevin Nash or Keiji Mutoh to form the nWo Knee team.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Guess we'll see how picking a "serious" team fares against teams like Real Actual Murderers. If it's a conventional bracket that'll be my first opponent :ohdear:.

Don't take this the wrong way but we are going to murder you in a way that is not at all figurative

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but we are going to murder you in a way that is not at all figurative

His team has strong necks and is under 80 so y'all might have a touch of trouble there

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Senerio posted:

My original plan was the SHE.I.L.D. with Kana, SDR, and Aja Kong. However, Aja Kong was taken, so I was planning on taking another powerhouse. Then I noticed that nobody grabbed Sammartino so there we go.

Should have made Dump Matsumoto your Roman Reigns.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BlueArmyMan posted:

His team has strong necks and is under 80 so y'all might have a touch of trouble there

Also, a distinct lack of children.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SHE.I.L.D would have been great, if only for the title which I never would have thought of. If I could have gotten Michaels than triple elbows was certainly a possibility, and I did pick Macho so my matches could have simultaneous elbow drops from Macho and Punk. Maybe now they can do that to a guy held up by Andre outside the ring. Besides, who says I can't still have a triple elbow drop finisher with Andre? Fight murder with murder :black101:.

I don't really watch enough Japanese wrestling to grab somebody from that talent pool, so no Kojima for me.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 2, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
SHE.I.L.D. should've happened :argh:

NowonSA posted:

Bracket will be random, not by order.

NowonSA posted:

Instead I went for a more conventional trios setup, with a talker/good worker in Punk, a high flyer/old school guy/legend in Macho (who by the way can also talk pretty well), and the muscle/big guy with with Andre.
I considered team "Protect me plz :) - Shawn" with HBK, Andre, and Aja. Nobody can defeat a talented chickenshit with TWO bodyguards!!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

team MMA has a triple submission finisher, tandem ankle locks during a lesnar kimura.

Great White Hope posted:

I'm so mad.

sorry to steal your picks twice but your current team is amazing so im not really that sorry.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Atticus Finch posted:

Bracket will be random, not by order.

Woo! Saved from a literal murder in the first round!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

WeaponX posted:

team MMA has a triple submission finisher, tandem ankle locks during a lesnar kimura.

sorry to steal your picks twice but your current team is amazing so im not really that sorry.

Red, White and Blue Justice drops you with a stunner into an ankle lock and a Nagata lock :smug:

Edit: Oh man, just thought of this; Great Muta, John Morrison, Hulk - Lock The Doors, Hulk Hogan

Double edit: Ones I thought of earlier for twitter; Molly Holly, Beth Phoenix, Kaitlyn - Team Crush

Cesaro, William Reagal, Alex Wright - Team Very European Uppercut

BlueArmyMan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 2, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I should also mention my team is managed by

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Dump Matsumoto was actually who I was going to take. Partly decided not to take her because my mouse broke and I wouldn't be able to use my trackpad to Photoshop the jackets onto them for the team picture.

Mind, it was mostly the fact that I didn't want my dad's favorite wrestler to miss out on this draft.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Atticus Finch posted:

I should also mention my team is managed by

If we get free managers, dibs on Paul Heyman!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He's not Samoan but Slick is an easy choice for me.

"MAAAAAAWWWWWAGGGGE!"

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Give unto me Heenan as a mouthpiece.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
My post was a joke that maybe 3 people will get.

drat I've been posting here too goddamn long.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Atticus Finch posted:

Yeah, went over my head all the way. Unless that was Paradol Ex.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Atticus Finch posted:

i liked it brah

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I didn't see the thread NEARLY in time, but my idea had been The "Cups of Coffee", with Raja Tiger, Jenna Morasca, and, er... Aleksandr Karelin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The picks are in! Let's take a moment to honor some names left out of this tournament's glory (in no particular order):

OUT

-Hulk Hogan
-John Cena
-Antonio Cesaro
-Dean Ambrose
-Seth Rollins
-Arn Anderson
-Sting
-The Undertaker
-Bray Wyatt

What other big names am I forgetting?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
TEAMS ARE SET.

Gavok - The Rock 'n' Jock 'n' Sock Connection
1.1 The Rock
2.32 Mr. Touchdown
3.33 Mankind

Mel Mudkiper - Real Actual Murderers
1.2 Chris Benoit
2.31 Akitoshi Saito
3.34 Verne Gagne

masato tatanka - Big Daddies
1.3 Big Daddy V
2.30 Big Daddy
3.35 Big Daddy Yum Yum

Atticus Finch - The Shawn Michaels Wrestling Academy
1.4 Shawn Michaels
2.29 Paul London
3.36 THE Brian Kendrick

Thauros - The Rainmakers
1.5 Kazuchika Okada
2.28 Ric Flair
3.37 Adam "Pacman" Jones

WeaponX - Team MMA
1.6 Brock Lesnar
2.27 Ken Shamrock
3.38 Jeff Jarrett

BlueArmyMan - Red, White, and Blue Justice
1.7 "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
2.26 Kurt Angle
3.39 Yuji Nagata

LobsterMobster - Mobster Lobsters
1.8 Meng
2.25 Aja Kong
3.40 Yokozuna

flashy_mcflash - Samoan Squat Team
1.9 Roman Reigns
2.24 Umaga
3.41 Samoa Joe

Great White Hope - Real Athletes
1.10 Lawrence Taylor
2.23 Muhammad Ali
3.42 Victor the Wrestling Bear

Semprini - Benoit Balls
1.11 Jake "The Sanem" Roberts
2.22 "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
3.43 Kenta Kobashi

El Gallinero Gros - Knee Slappers
1.12 Shinsuke Nakamura
2.21 Daniel Bryan
4.44 Antonio Inoki

The man called M - Insane Motherfuckers
1.13 Zandig
2.20 The Ultimate Warrior
3.45 Delirious

Senerio - Doom and Gloom
1.14 Kana
2.19 Sara Del Rey
3.46 Bruno Sammartino

NowonSA - Giant Macho Punks
1.15 CM Punk
2.18 "Macho Man" Randy Savage
3.47 Andre the Giant

Quantrill - Thekno Theam 3000
1.16 Triple H
2.17 Gorgeous George III
3.48 Ethan Carter III

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Should have made Dump Matsumoto your Roman Reigns.

I was rereading the thread, and I noticed this mistake. It's Rowoman Reigns. Duh.

Beyond that, on the list, Ted DiBiase, Randy Orton, and the entire Rhodes Clan were not selected off the top of my head.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Also no Batista, Edge, Christian, Mike Tyson, Kane, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy or Bret Hart.

I totally discounted PSP's inclination to make unexpected teams.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

No one from lucha at all, and lots of top puro HoFers like Misawa, Baba, Rikidozan, Hansen, Tanahashi and Mutoh were also skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Brackets have been made. Post soon or wait until Monday?

I don't like my odds to advance.

• Locked thread