Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I'm from nearby, not Stamford proper, but I can answer a few:

Shadow posted:

1. I'm a consultant and travel for work. How bad is the commute to JFK? I was told traffic could make it as bad as 2 hours. Is this accurate? What times are the best to avoid heading to the airport? I also know about HPN Westchester (aka White Plains) being 20~ minutes away? I know it won't always be an option due to higher cost and fewer destinations, but just wanted to get an idea about how bad or decent it will be when I travel. I travel on average 2-3 times per month.

Getting to JFK quickly will be hit or miss. Yes, it could take two hours during rush hour if there's a traffic jam anywhere on the route, and there frequently are, especially once you hit Queens. Laguardia will be closer, but not necessarily a better option. HPN is a small regional airport - like, one baggage claim small - but if you don't mind connections and small planes, and work reimburses you, it will be very, very convenient, especially when accounting for things like parking. When I fly home to visit family, I choose HPN over JFK every time, even though it costs like $100 more each way.

quote:

2. Restaurants. I'm really into good restaurant experiences, cuisine, and proper mixologists, etc. My new place will be on North and Summer (by the Dairy Queen). Are there good places walkable? Is Harborpoint (is that what it's called?) the "place to be" for food/drinks?

There's plenty of fine dining in Greenwich, Armonk, and nearby. People round there be stupid rich and tasteful, yo. Not for nightlife though. For that, there's Stamford bars or Manhattan. Maybe White Plains if you're desperate.

quote:

4. Shopping options? I will have a car so if the better shopping areas are outside of town, that's cool. Just curious about options in town vs let's say Outlet malls and poo poo.

There's Tri-City Plaza (a mall) in Stamford. In White Plains, there's The Westchester, which is the best mall I've ever been to. Further into CT there's the Danbury mall which is massive, but has seen better days. Plus Manhattan if you need it.

quote:

6. Demographics - I've read City Data and Wiki on what's official, but looking for more of a local perspective. Is it mostly yuppies? Are they mostly affluent? Areas to avoid? Areas to stick to. I suppose I'd be considered a yuppie, so let's assume I want to "stay with my kind" :)

It's mixed. There is a big yuppie contingent, since there's a LOT of finance in that town. Some reverse-commute from Manhattan, others just live there for a few years, mostly in a spate of condos/apartment complexes. Some older ones will buy houses in the nearby suburbs. Big contrast to the locals you'll see around town, who are often lower middle class/middle class black and Hispanic. I don't want to say that the city is segregated, but it's easy to stay in a bubble if you want to. And it sounds like you want to. So just stick around downtown. Stamford is by no means a dangerous city. At all. But once you leave the downtown area, it'll quickly become the sort of place where you'll want to use common sense, especially late at night. Like, 10 years ago there was some rumbling about gang activity on the West side, but you'll be fine almost anywhere.

quote:

8. How far and convenient is NYC from the metro? It looks like 40 minutes to an hour? Is it a pain in the rear end to get back to Stamford? What is the latest time I'd want to head to Grand Central if I had an evening in NY? How much would a cab cost? Or a car service? Is it cost prohibitive?

The Metronorth trains (New Haven Line) run hourly or faster. 50 minutes to 70 minutes in either direction, depending on whether it's express or not. Last train from Grand Central is typically at like 1:50 AM. No, don't take a cab from Manhattan to Stamford. Unless you can expensive it, in which case, rock on. But most sullen drunks who miss the last train stick around for a few hours until the trains start running again at 5:30 AM. Make friends with them, but watch out! Those girls are like, totally in high school!

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Shadow posted:

Desperate? Why desperate? They open till 4am? I know Stamford's 2, which no longer seems to matter when you're 33.

Desperate for variety, I meant. Stamford's nightlife is okay, but there will be nights when you get tired of going to the same pubs/sports bars/the one or two proper clubs and don't want to go to Manhattan. White Plains is like 20 minutes away, and has some more options. Nothing spectacular, but different.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Shadow posted:

Now, one thing that floored me was gas prices. I was just paying $3.65/gal in Boston and I had to put 2 gallons in on Sunday at $4.59/gal at the Shell on W. Broad St. Where does one go to pay more normal prices for fuel? :(

Welcome to one of the wealthiest counties in the country. That said, I looked at GasBuddy, and that station is the most expensive one in the city right now. So anywhere else?

• Locked thread