Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The bigger problem is: How do you consume the spidertrons? Can you automate placing and then sending them into a biter nest somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Not in vanilla, for sure. There might be a mod to automate placing them though

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dr. Stab posted:

If you launch space science back into space, it gives you fish.

lol.. I had no idea. How many fish do you get for launching a space science?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's 1:1. It makes Spidertrons the most expensive item in the game to truly automate.

I believe they are disposing of the Spidertrons by having a Renai transportation thrower inserter throw them into a lake.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 4, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

K8.0 posted:

It's 1:1. It makes Spidertrons the most expensive item in the game to truly automate.

especially because you can only launch up to 12 at a time (from a maxed stack inserter), instead of a full stack of 100

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

redleader posted:

especially because you can only launch up to 12 at a time (from a maxed stack inserter), instead of a full stack of 100

Can you insert with multiple inserters simultaneously using a funky circuit network setup?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jabor posted:

Can you insert with multiple inserters simultaneously using a funky circuit network setup?

not sure. i got that factoid from the reddit thread, and they said they tried all sorts of stuff to try to get it to launch more than 12 at a time. given that that's an obvious thing to try, i'd assume that they gave it a shot and couldn't get it to work. but i haven't tried myself

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:woop:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
He better have the buttplug integration mod too. :colbert:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dat spidertron base is prime Factorio.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Check out stevetrov's fish farm

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I need to check up on Ultracube patches.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Stevetrov is also prime Factorio. Love seeing his stuff on the forums, very inspirational for building stupid huge AND being ups efficient.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-405

Curious what the performance impact of reading an entire belt is. I assume its tapping into some deep belt optimization code that was already there?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
yeah probably given that it mentions "belt lines" which i think is that optimization

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
god bless them for leaving no QOL stone unturned. i also really like that they talk through their process and that the process is pretty good

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Sushi pipes can't really happen until we get a way to purge pipes via circuit network.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
shouldn't be hard to mod in a reverse water pump that takes any fluid from the connected pipe and dumps it into a body of water (optionally cosmetically making the water looking increasingly polluted if you stuff other than water into it)

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Slashrat posted:

shouldn't be hard to mod in a reverse water pump that takes any fluid from the connected pipe and dumps it into a body of water (optionally cosmetically making the water looking increasingly polluted if you stuff other than water into it)

connect one of those reverse pumps to a pumpjack and fill the starter lake with thousands of gallons of crude oil

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pumping oil into moats I can light on fire. Please preview this with the update to fighting aliens, tia.

Ooh ooh, how about dumping pollution into water to kill underwater biter nests?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Those new high-speed rockets are assembled using blue chips instead of RCUs.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Xerol posted:

Sushi pipes can't really happen until we get a way to purge pipes via circuit network.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems easy enough. You limit input into storage to leave empty space greater than the capacity of the sushi pipe system, and put pumps both ways, a load pump controlled by demand and a purge pump back to storage that runs any time demand is off with a filter. That way there's always room to pump out whatever you pump in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

M_Gargantua posted:

Curious what the performance impact of reading an entire belt is. I assume its tapping into some deep belt optimization code that was already there?

I can't help but feel the belt reader is specifically aimed at Dosh because of the horror of sushi base.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems easy enough. You limit input into storage to leave empty space greater than the capacity of the sushi pipe system, and put pumps both ways, a load pump controlled by demand and a purge pump back to storage that runs any time demand is off with a filter. That way there's always room to pump out whatever you pump in.

On any pipe segment longer than about 20 pipes, pumps have a really hard time getting that last 0.1 unit of a fluid out from far away.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

M_Gargantua posted:

Probably a minimal performance impact, just track all contents of a belt by inserts onto belt and removal from belt. Deletion of a belt (especially in the middle of a long belt) would probably be where things might have to be re-calculated.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Half-wit posted:

Probably a minimal performance impact, just track all contents of a belt by inserts onto belt and removal from belt. Deletion of a belt (especially in the middle of a long belt) would probably be where things might have to be re-calculated.

Factorio already tracks belt contents per lane like this for optimization reasons, so it's just exposing it to the circuit network.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Science Pack Galore is pretty fun. First time I've played a fresh start without creative mod in a long time...and it's 2am but I need setup a builder train still.

I need to send a request to the factoriolab guy to add the mod to his calculator so I can see how foolish a 40 some odd science pack megabase would be.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Majere posted:

Science Pack Galore is pretty fun. First time I've played a fresh start without creative mod in a long time...and it's 2am but I need setup a builder train still.

I need to send a request to the factoriolab guy to add the mod to his calculator so I can see how foolish a 40 some odd science pack megabase would be.

Factory Planner is a nice analog in-game mode, and much simpler than helmod.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Teledahn posted:

Those new high-speed rockets are assembled using blue chips instead of RCUs.

I can't find them talking about it, one of the earlier FFFs showed rockets taking blues instead of RCUs now, which makes sense since they come after Blue science now instead of being end game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's more that they decided to remove RCUs because they're basically a single-use intermediate, and they want things to be more complicated/interesting than that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Against my better judgement I started an SPG run with the end goals of hitting 1k spm and mining prod 50. Minimal (mostly QoL) mods and more infinite researches. My plan is to divide the game into three (and a bit) phases:

Phase 0 (the 'and a bit'): Burner phase. Just get the first couple packs researched and the basic tech needed to set up smelters and such.

Phase 1: The "up to blue" phase. Since starter resources are going to need to be spread amongst more science packs to get the same amount of research done, and since I'm going to spend a lot of time just building each pack's lane, I'm targeting what would be a hilariously low for any other game 30spm for all packs that can be unlocked with red, green, blue, and military science, and then all techs I can get with those packs. Hopefully the starting resource patches can get me through to having enough bots to start building out the next phase. These will be built with yellow belts and mostly T1 assemblers.

Phase 2: The getting to space phase. I'm hoping by going with slower research rates in phase 1 that I can start building out a rail network and connecting up distant patches while that research is still ongoing. This will also involve establishing some defensive perimeters (I'm playing railworld with expansion added back in) and I'd really like to just aim to go very distant in one direction to start collecting massive resource patches so I don't have to go back to them for a long time. In the main base I will hopefully be able to upgrade everything to T2 assemblers, red belt, and somewhere around 60-90 SPM including all the packs that don't require rocket launches. And of course ending with finishing the tech tree and launching rockets.

Phase 3: Scaling up. Converting the main base to mostly be a builder and module mall and starting with outpost-based production, hoping to produce between 4-8 different packs per outpost and returning 5 stacks of each at a time via train. If I have any sanity left before this I will probably lose it here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Xerol posted:

Against my better judgement I started an SPG run with the end goals of hitting 1k spm and mining prod 50. Minimal (mostly QoL) mods and more infinite researches. My plan is to divide the game into three (and a bit) phases:

Probably smack my forehead when you answer, but... SPG = ??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Single player game?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Self-Propelled Gun

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Spidertron Production Goal

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Science Per Gallon

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Science Packs Galore

It's a mod that adds 36 new science packs.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Working on SPG now. I did early game base up to 10 or so at 30spm, now building red belt base at 90 spm to complete as much tech and stockpile stuff for a reasonable endgame 900spm.

Currently using a simple sushi belt for labs, but at sp20 my red belts are full so going to have to put more space between the labs or tech to express belts quicker.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was thinking sushi belts too for the midgame stages. Rather than have all packs on one belt, I was going to have 5 or 6 belts each with a different set of packs on them. I also grabbed a mod that adds more belt tiers if throughput becomes a problem, but I anticipate moving to bot-based labs before that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Well the mod profile picture shows an example of how to get 48 packs to one lab with just regular belts.