Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Getting them into one lab is one thing, the logistical challenge is getting enough throughput to run many labs at once. This is the setup I use in vanilla:

On 60 second techs with red belt and midgame modules/lab speed/inserter stack size, this supports about 15 labs per vertical line, up to around 225 labs in total (e.g. 900spm, half a red belt's throughput). (This spacing also happens to be nice for fitting beacons in later). There's another technique you can use to get two belts one tile away from a building which I've used before on labs (only screenshot I could find was this inserter build from a very old version of the game):

Altogether this lets you get 5 belts accessible with stack inserters, and a 6th probably isn't out of the question if you throw some weird belt weaving in. If you space the labs out by 2 more tiles, you could get an extra two belts in through the underground section on the other side from where they're inserting from the undergrounds.

Since throughput is a concern, we probably want to only use stack inserters; double longs might work in the earlier parts of the game but if we want lab stacks of decent length* we want to be cramming them into the top lab as fast as possible (and then chaining 3 stack inserters down the line). One red belt moves 1800 items per minute. How many belts we need depends on A) desired science rate and B) number of packs. Since my plan is to use bots for the very end game we don't need to get all 43 packs done with a belt design. To sum up our knowledge and goals to this point:

-We can get between 5 and 7 belts into a lab with stack inserters.
-The length of each lab line is going to depend on how fast we can chain packs down the line. Since realistically we can only put 3 stack inserters on a line, cramming more than 4 belts into one lab isn't going to be all that useful, so let's target 4 belts. (The first lab is going to consume packs, so we want to add more packs to that lab than the 3 inserters taking out of it.)
-Blue/military level tech and associated extra packs are going to be somewhere around 24-28 packs (not sure exactly, haven't looked at the entire tech tree yet). Let's assume it's 28 and so we need to fit 7 packs per sushi belt.
-1800 / 7 = 257.14, let's round that down to 240spm to make a number that works out nicely for other calculations (4 packs per second per type).

There's an alternative method I can also think of, one that wouldn't necessarily require sushi belts but still lets you chain labs, although it results in a bunch of idle labs. Basically instead of the underground belts from the first image only going into one row of labs, you repeat the pattern down several rows before you get to labs that will actually start consuming the science. Might as well use the underground+splitter technique to get 5 belts into the top row too; regardless of what else we do we're going to be limited by the 3 stack inserter throughput on the lower labs. But making an extensible design like this just lets us add more columns to deal with throughput issues, even if it does mean there's a certain amount of packs and labs sitting idle.

There's also the coward's way out, using a train car with filtered slots to load 40 packs into 4 labs (and loading the last 3 in via belt or something).

I still want to try the sushi belt idea so I'm going with that.

e: Back in the game now, here's the 7-belt idea:

e2: Really jank, but I can get 8 in:

Xerol fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One big concern with sushi belts is that stack inserters aren't going to have the huge throughput you'd expect (and need, for this sort of design) if the items of a particular type aren't flowing by them fast enough.

Probably the easiest way is to use a cargo wagon "warehouse" to feed the first lab - you have plenty of frontage to run as many direct belts as you need.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Could you use filter stack inserts between the labs? You'd have a few labs along the edges each getting fed some number of science types, then a network of inserters propagating flasks to labs further in.

I suppose the real solution is to rush bots.

I also really want to see the renai solution to this.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

One big concern with sushi belts is that stack inserters aren't going to have the huge throughput you'd expect (and need, for this sort of design) if the items of a particular type aren't flowing by them fast enough.

Probably the easiest way is to use a cargo wagon "warehouse" to feed the first lab - you have plenty of frontage to run as many direct belts as you need.

This is why I want to maximize the number of belts I can use, thereby minimizing the number of different items on any one belt. There's also the possibility of using some kind of buffer system on the sushi belt so that only one type of item is going by at a time (although this might make throughput worse in some cases if the right item isn't there at the right time - it's going to require some fine tuning I think).

If I use the 8 belt loader and then also underground load the 2nd lab in the line, that gives me 11 belts so I only need to have 4 packs per belt (and the last 3 belts aren't even really going to be needed until endgame).

I think there is a valid concern with chaining the labs and what the stack inserters will do - as soon as the last lab needs a pack, it'll start pulling from the previous lab in the chain, even if that's not going to have a full stack inserter's worth in it. Might be worth doing some kind of clocking with stack filter inserters, although I'm not sure I can fit in the right circuitry for that in the given space (each set of stack inserters would individually require its own set of circuitry). I guess I could do it row-wise, but needing 3 different clock cycles would mean being unable to just chain wires of the same color together, so I'd need to have e.g. two different, completely separated, red wire circuits (and a green) to do it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Music! They hired an orchestra this time. They also have tracks for the two unseen planets, leaving it to us to imagine what kind of places the music invokes.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-406

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yesssss, this is what I want to see! Well, hear.

The Vulcanus soundtrack in particular is really nostalgic to me. Evokes the music World of Warcraft had back in 2006 or so.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Nice rocket turrets they showed off on the space platform.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I know they can be divisive but I'm really hoping biters gets expanded for variety and scale of threat. Once you realize the power of the flamethrower they're quite solved unless you push to rapid expansion with enough evo for frequent behemoths.

Rampant is pretty good for teeth on normal biters but I've not seen anything else that adds to them and feels good.

And of course new planets need new threats.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ha, the second image just outright shows the names of the unrevealed planets: Aquilo and... Gliecie? Harder to decipher that one

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I know they can be divisive but I'm really hoping biters gets expanded for variety and scale of threat. Once you realize the power of the flamethrower they're quite solved unless you push to rapid expansion with enough evo for frequent behemoths.

Rampant is pretty good for teeth on normal biters but I've not seen anything else that adds to them and feels good.

And of course new planets need new threats.

I have no doubt there will be many more enemies, and tools to deal with them.

What is pricing like? I'm thinking of buying factorio for a pal. Is 2.0 like an expansion pack, where the base game is required? Or is it a standalone?

I'm getting pretty excited for the release, despite there being a lot I haven't done in vanilla. The whole thing just looks so well thought out.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Count Roland posted:

What is pricing like? I'm thinking of buying factorio for a pal. Is 2.0 like an expansion pack, where the base game is required? Or is it a standalone?

Expansion pack, you'll need the base game also

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
2.0 will be a free update to the base game. Space Age is an expansion you have to buy on top of the base game.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Also of note that factorio basically never goes on sale. The devs have stated that's a deliberate decision. I wonder if they'll finally discount it to try to up sales of the expansion though to make it a cheaper buy-in for new people coming to the game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The devs take a pretty hardline stance on sales so I wouldn't get my hopes up for them starting one.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've only ever seen the price go up. At most I think they might do a bundle price for the base + expansion at a price lower than the two would be separately.

Even that would surprise me though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

yoloer420 posted:

I've only ever seen the price go up. At most I think they might do a bundle price for the base + expansion at a price lower than the two would be separately.

Even that would surprise me though.

Well the price going up did technically match inflation so that's pretty fair. All you have to do to create a Factorio sale is let currency devalue over time and the buy it before they increase the price to match! GENIUS.

Anyway the clip where the giant asteroid crashes into the space platform and knocks a chunk out looks sick as hell. I wonder how you're supposed to deal with those big boys or if you have to just eat the damage and rebuild. I had forgotten how incredibly slick the platform building animations are.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My guess (from my SE experience) is we'll have some sort of meteor defense installation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm pretty sure this has all been revealed. You need turrets in the front of the platform to blow up rocks for resources. Also, when you are in transit away from nauvis, there are bigger rocks that you need to deal with that can damage your platform.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
The orchestral score is the most dubious I've been about additions for the expansion. It's just puzzling to me. It's not bad, but I just like the ambient scoring that is currently in the game, and even just a set of more tracks along those lines was what I was hoping for. I dunno, there's something about the soundtrack as it exists that is just formless enough that I don't get sick of it (and sonically so fitting for the subject matter of the game), maybe they can preserve that with far more structured arrangements and a full orchestral score but then that's a huge waste of time, talent, and energy... nevertheless: cool.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
That space platform is some terrifying spaghetti. I’m terrified my spaghetti-fu may not be strong enough. I bet space platform blueprints are going to be as popular to share as railroad blueprints are now.

I spy a nuclear plant in the mess, that’s a lot of asteroid ice to keep even one running.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 12, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slum Loser posted:

The orchestral score is the most dubious I've been about additions for the expansion. It's just puzzling to me. It's not bad, but I just like the ambient scoring that is currently in the game, and even just a set of more tracks along those lines was what I was hoping for. I dunno, there's something about the soundtrack as it exists that is just formless enough that I don't get sick of it (and sonically so fitting for the subject matter of the game), maybe they can preserve that with far more structured arrangements and a full orchestral score but then that's a huge waste of time, talent, and energy... nevertheless: cool.

Admittedly, I am hoping these previews are picked from the more bombastic parts of the score and a lot of that hour-per-planet of music is going to be more low-key.
That said, the tone of the non-Nauvis planets is going to be different too. You're not stranded on an alien world this time, you came here knowingly to pillage resources.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

2.0 will be a free update to the base game. Space Age is an expansion you have to buy on top of the base game.

Ah, yes I forgot there was a difference.

Thanks

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Also of note that factorio basically never goes on sale. The devs have stated that's a deliberate decision. I wonder if they'll finally discount it to try to up sales of the expansion though to make it a cheaper buy-in for new people coming to the game

It has in fact not gone on sale even once. The price has gone up a few times since the earliest releases, so you might see histories with lower prices, but none of those were sales.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Pigbuster posted:

Ha, the second image just outright shows the names of the unrevealed planets: Aquilo and... Gliecie? Harder to decipher that one

After some mucking around in photoshop, the 2nd looks like Gliebe or Glebe

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Reddit says it means "earth" or "ground" in Polish.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Not believing in sales is just one of Kovarex's weird quirky opinions that he won't budge on, like thinking that statutory rape is cool sometimes.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Not believing in sales is just one of Kovarex's weird quirky opinions that he won't budge on, like thinking that statutory rape is cool sometimes.

and don't even get him started on those wacky lesser races!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The planet names might be a change of plans. Initially, based on deblurring of an early image which was playing out consistently, it seemed like the 3 mid planets were Vulcanus, Fulgora, and Bacchus, with Aquilo being the final planet. Now they seem to have renamed Bacchus. I'm not sure if that indicates a re-theming, or if they decided that since people associate Bacchus more with wine than anything else, picking a different word for the vegetation planet would be a good idea. Be interesting to see. Reddit points out the name Gleba would fit for a planet with lots of mushroom/spore type vegetation, IDK.

Also super hyped for rocket turrets. Can't wait to put nuke launchers on my extremely valuable spaceship, I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The Glebe is where James, the God of Earth, lives in the wonderfully weird 25-year-old sorta-RTS Sacrifice. James is a winking reference to the Earthworm Jim games which were also made by Shiny. Biters are wormlike aliens.

The conclusion is inevitable: biters are about to get space suits and laser guns.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

That space platform is some terrifying spaghetti. I’m terrified my spaghetti-fu may not be strong enough. I bet space platform blueprints are going to be as popular to share as railroad blueprints are now.

I spy a nuclear plant in the mess, that’s a [i]lot[/] of asteroid ice to keep even one running.

It'll be fine, unless the dev has decidedly changed their mind on who Factorio can cater to. Would be a shame to limit the expansion to Dosh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Calling Glebe Glebe is like calling Earth Earth and Moon Moon.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
I noticed that the Glebe tracks are grouped with the generic Space music tracks on the sheet so maybe it’s referencing another generic layer? Underground maybe?!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pole of Mars posted:

I noticed that the Glebe tracks are grouped with the generic Space music tracks on the sheet so maybe it’s referencing another generic layer? Underground maybe?!

It looks like they're just in the same block on the performance schedule. Vulcanus and Aquilo are also grouped together.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
And Fulgora may not have required the people involved at this recording, explaining its lack of presence.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I like the idea of a planet where rapidly growing vegetation is the enemy. Defences focused on controlling the spread of kudzu would be cool.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Anything but that please. I had to routinely fight kudzu invasions as a kid and that poo poo suuuuucks. gently caress you kudzu

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

necrotic posted:

Anything but that please. I had to routinely fight kudzu invasions as a kid and that poo poo suuuuucks. gently caress you kudzu

Did you get to fight them with flamethrowers though? That seems like it would be pretty cathartic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

necrotic posted:

Were you allowed to use flamethrowers on an industrial scale with no care for (and perhaps instead active malice) for your neighbors?

Anyways could definitely be a cool setup. So far the expansion seems to be taking a lot of the Space Exploration stuff and making it somehow even cooler AND more accessible.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Haha I love that you both immediately posted about flame throwers.

No, I had to yank the poo poo by hand. Yes, it was on my family church property and I was made to do it no matter what.

I’d be fine with a mechanic like this in reality but the kudzu reference instantly brought up some awful memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

My first thought is 'Oh that's pretty cool' to focus on area control rather than discrete creature combat.

My second thought was 'Isn't that kind of already what we have?' Nearly all static defenses will be eventually run down without a logistical supply line.

I do like the idea of a more endemic hostile threat that was less mobile, sort of more of a low level area threat rather than discrete biters.